šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

I swear Iā€™ve seem gl2000 ads with AMT in them and the drivers do look like AMT drivers

Hmm you could go clean all the way with that RME for sure thatā€™s probably the cleanest sounding combo. Most other dacs are gonna start colouring that sound.

The other more budget option would be the Geshelli Jnog for clean sounding dacs.

If you want something else those Soekris Dacs are an AMAZING R2R value Iā€™d recommend the Soekris 1321 or an Airist R2R from drop I donā€™t know if theyā€™re still selling it but also worth looking into.

Honestly after screwing around with tons of amp combos that clean sterile sound is fine but boring. I think youā€™d have more fun with a warmer amp in all honesty than an A90 like a flux labs setup. Clean dac, warm amp is great or just warm across everything is awesome

1 Like

I think there mustā€™ve been a name change through development.

Yeah I remember thinking initially ā€œI donā€™t think those are AMT, but they look like they have AMT elementsā€

1 Like

Has anyone used these to watch movies yet? They are so goodā€¦

1 Like

Just buy her some flowers and keep the HPā€™sā€¦ LOL!!!

Got mine in today, Zeo wasnā€™t lying. These are fucking great!!! Wide open, sound stage is comparable to the shp 9500, but the fastness and clarity is what I love about them. Itā€™s really like the shp but all the benefits of planar! I owned the Mr Speaker Aeon Flows and this is better! Which I did like the semi closed feeling of the Aeons. The Bass is wayyyyyyyy better then the Aeons tho and those have better bass then the Shp. The highs are just a bit on the edge side, but Iā€™ve only used them for a few hours. The hyber pads really open them up, but the fact that they are not memory foam is a bummer. They are really heavy compared to the shp but those are like a feather.

As for power my phone, play these just fine on almost max volume. Sounded good but not as good as my Schiit stack.

The fit on these are great and I have xl ears and they are basically perfect for me! The fact that the adjustment is so stiff is fucking great I donā€™t have to worry about them slipping out.

As someone who isnā€™t an audiophileā€¦ whoā€™s just been on the quest to find my perfect one and done headphonesā€¦ this is it! No joke Iā€™m in love with them.

Gaming, this is weird but the game sounds great. The imaging seems is great! I played some Takrov, warzone and cyberpunk they all sounded great. Tarkov is a game thatā€™s hard to image imo and it did a pretty good job. Itā€™s just great very large sound stage to work with and the imaging is good too!

TLDR; Basically Planar SHP 9500
If you have the spare cash these are definitely worth.

10 Likes

Yeah, I canā€™t stop picking them up. Been using them for the past week and havenā€™t even touched my Fostex TH900ā€™s.

The ultimate test of these things is coming soon though. I bought some Dekoni pads for the TH900 with attenuator rings and Iā€™m going to be comparing the elite fenestrated sheepskin (which supposedly opens up the TH900 soundstage more) and the elite hybrid to see how they compare with the GL2000 (currently using the hybrid D shaped pads on them).

Iā€™m seriously impressed with these headphones. Even if I go back to my TH900ā€™s, I think Iā€™m still going to keep these just because of how they impressed me. Plus they look pretty nice :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It does take about 5 hoursā€™ burning to reach steady state. The GL2000 in my hand is similar to what you said.

1 Like

Idk man anything over $150 Iā€™ve tested is waaay above the shps, not too flattering for a $600 hp to be a ā€œplanar shp9500ā€, considering the he400i is like $160ā€¦

1 Like

Well, like I said in my post Iā€™m not an audiophile. So my comparison is based off the only other headphone I haveā€¦ Which is the Shp.

Edit: Iā€™m sure they are way better then Iā€™m describing, because everyone that actually knows there shit says they are great. Iā€™m really happy with them and my craving for better headphones is gone.

TLDR; Iā€™m a newb

2 Likes

I just posted in the deals thread, sundaraā€™s are going open box with warranty for $270-280, that puts these dangerously close to 2.5x the cost of sundaraā€™s folksā€¦ I think the fact cords cost $100 on linsouls site for these says a lot. Look up some other reviews for gods sake, I love Zeos, I bought the Bas X A-100ā€™s for my 600ohm beyersdynamics on his recommend, I got the sundaraā€™s on his recommend and settled for the 6XX as a close to HD600 experience for a much better priceā€¦ but are these 2.5x as good as sundaraā€™s
1.everything we know about diminishing returns over $400-500 says hell no
2.average the reviews between zeos and lots of others who are lukewarm(at price), the magic 8 ball says nope
3.if you bought sundaraā€™s for $500 pre pricedrop and listened for the first time you would say they are good

Trust me as an owner of sundaraā€™s I want to believe these are bad so I donā€™t feel bad about what I own/bought but I can look objectively and say MAYBE they are a future classic but I seriously doubt they are 2.5x the can

wait for more reviews before you go out and get them, I respect Zeos a lot, like $1000 worth of respect but in the end I only pulled the trigger because they were good deals and backed by the community at large even thought he got me into the items and excited. I think heā€™s just excited for a new tweak on a Sundara like headphone since itā€™s one of the top under $500 by just about anybodyā€™s book who doesnā€™t hate neutral sound. I mean he has heard like EVERYTHING, of course he will be excited when something even slightly better than a BIS(best in slot(best under $500)) comes out. But what the hell do I know, a better can is a better can so if your wallet prints money go for it.

1 Like

Objective performance would be one thing, but tonality and tuning also play an important role. Itā€™d seem to me that the Sundara and the GL2000 have different tonalities, and because we donā€™t really have any alternative in the Sundara price range that sounds like the GL2000, you could argue that price difference is justified. Anyway, just my 2cs

4 Likes

Amazingly simple and great take, considering how much people pay for argons vs T50RPā€™s and that the Sundaraā€™s are good even at $500 for certain people it can be endgame for others not their cup, and for quite a few, the Sundaraā€™s edge them or give them 80-90% for far less in my humble and possibly uninformed opinion.

By all means anybody who has money and has the itch SCRATCH IT AND TELL US WAS IT WORTH IT!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I love the T50 Argon. With cowhides itā€™s so chill. So much fun for the money.

What the Sundara and the 6XX achieve its definitely easy to see how itā€™s endgame. 6XX on tubes definitely an easy way to stop going further.

Has anyone tried the GL2000 on a hybrid tube?? How was the experience and what hybrid did you use??

So far, they were definitely worth it. Coming from DT1990s and a HD58X these go perfectly with my collection. All offer different things. These will be my main for awhile though. Though I do think the soundstage and imaging is less wide and accurate as the DT1990s (with dekoni velour pads) these are more enjoyable to listen to music and listen to game soundtracks with while gaming. Iā€™m not a try-hard so the soundstage and imaging is good enough.

2 Likes

Haha your setup is similar to mine, just talked to @EntrancedVermin about the same sort of
neutral/senn(mid/intimate)/V shaped triforce of goodness!

(DT990 600ohm/6XX/Sundaraā€™s here running Bas X A-100 and Schiti Magni 3)

Cheers my friend

1 Like

Im ready to pad swap and find a sweet spot for gaming on these. I think I might 3d print some grills and see if I can open the soundstage even more and maybe pads can focus the imaging a little.

1 Like

Ah thanks for the reply!

Iā€™ve also been looking at the IFI IDSD. Looks like they have more than enough power, as well portability, but no bluetooth like the Q5s Tc.

Thing is, I need portability as I travel and live and work abroad for months on end. Iā€™d love to travel, take my goldplanars with me and a good powerful dac/amp and enjoy good music + have it be practical. For my work I need the seamless bluetooth connection the q5s offers for example.

Iā€™ve been looking, but seems like thereā€™s nothing available that covers it all for my requirements. Even the new 1000 euro ifi idsd diablo doesnā€™t have the bluetooth part and Iā€™ve seen the reviewers like joshua and z ā€˜complainā€™ that that would really be the finishing touch.

Does anyone know of a dac/amp that has the power requirements, is also portable as well as has bluetooth? Maybe in the future itā€™ll arriveā€¦

Thanks all!

I still have to wait till the 10th for them to ship but looking up the requirements, you need 2 watts at 60 ohm to power them. On top of the description actually says, you need at least 2 watts. I have a feeling we may a HE-6/DT-880 situation again in regards to driving them well. Thatā€™s pretty demanding for a modern headphone.