šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Yes exactly!!! I can vouch for this, I own them both.

1 Like

Soo if you got a amp that can power he6se v2 buy it buy it now ! At 700 dollars he6se v2 is just so much better the tonality resolution bass are just superior vocals are too.

1 Like

I bought aftermarket 3.5 mm to XLR, off Amazon from a brand called New Fantasia (I think thatā€™s the name).

The ones I got were advertised as replacement cables for Hifiman Arya and such. Good price, durable, works well.

Iā€™m not a huge believer in cable differences. So paying $45 for a durable XLR cable was fine enough for me.

I got in touch with drop to ask about the pad changes and potential connector options. Didnā€™t get any info on whether or not my shipment will have the pad updates but they confirmed that 4.4 is all we got for this first run. In future runs there will be options for the cable. Sucks when buying early backfires, I would have loved an XLR version, itā€™s such a nice looking cable that it almost seems wrong to slap a basic ass adapter on it. Ah well.

For the record, the HE6se is routinely on sale for $700. Even when it isnā€™t, you can usually find a link thatā€™ll let you buy them for $700. Note: I havenā€™t heard the HE6se or GL2000 so canā€™t rec either.

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html
$1700

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t
$700

1 Like

i have fancy cables that i got for my he6se but i just basically have no use for a pentaconn cable and if someone has no use for their xlr iā€™m down to trade is all i was getting at. iā€™d rather have a backup just in case rather than a 4.4 thatā€™ll sit in a box for life.

ya I said it cost 700 dollars.

No worries man. I just didnā€™t want folks to panic buy the HE6se thinking the ā€œdiscountā€ wouldnā€™t last.

4 Likes

May go that route and pony up for an amp, ive had he6-se before and refused to buy a top amp for them. I had them running on Monolith THX 888 Dac/amp. Might grab a flux fa-10 and take a break from this hobby lmao.

In the meantime i suppose iā€™ll let the GL2000s break in

Glad you got a link mine expired or somethingā€¦

Live EQ sessionā€¦ this should be good

5 Likes

A 789 does great with the HE6se and a tube preamp can warm it up for cheap and it really fills out the void left by the super analytical 789.

i thought it was informative. a good way to get better performance is through EQ. the graph on these looks a little rough but it does seem to give it character

1 Like

Yes, the graph kind of confirms what I was thinking about them. I believe these are not made for reference sound.

I tried Resolveā€™s eq but I do not like it on them. Rather listen to the Sundara at this point. I can clearly see the GL2000 are not made for that 2-4k frequency range which is Sundara strength.

Edit; They are not bad though, better I add it somewhere because I have been posting mainly about their weaknesses. I donā€™t own any other headphone in this price range so I canā€™t tell whether the GL2000 is the best value. Compared to Sundara I feel they clearly extend the range and the soundstange (mostly depth) and this to me is enough to prefer them. They lower the sonic baricenter with the bass and mid bass being where the meat of the sound is, sacrificing the higher part of the mids / lower part of the highs. The bass section is actually their strength imo.

5 Likes

unfortunately these are at the price range where im starting to need more perfection in the freq response. the focal headphones graphs look like god in comparison for a few hundred more. and better built. i really wanted these to work but they do seem at least semi competitive at the price and do have some unique charm, just not enough for me unfortunately. i havent heard them i know but i think i have the full picture from everyone. just get a sundara used for 250 and call it a day in my opinion.

1 Like

nvm

Here is the 10 character minimum

Yes, listening to headphones should be the prerequisite for reviewing them. Above all else.

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head. Itā€™s important for folks, as you indicated, to understand how / why they like listening to audiophile gear. And, as in the case of myself, listening to music both critically while sitting in a chair AND for fun while doing other things (like moving your head and feet) is totally ok. Sometimes this presents a challenge. An example of this was my decision between the Theiaudio Clairvoyance and the Monarch. After tons of research, I choose the Clairvoyance because many reviews spoke of itā€™s overall musical tonality vs the more technical signature of the Monarch. P.S. I bought the Sivga Pheonix based on Zeosā€™s hype . I sold them quickly; not for me. DMS hates them.

2 Likes

Context is everything. Audio, most things in life.
Using Rock and Roll and Hip Hop, I have been told I am alienating those who do not listen to those genreā€™ while many others, most music lovers can extrapolate and glean music and instrument references and apply it to their own favorites.

Heights, Widths and layering can only take you so far, not far enough.
Like a graph. Forget most refer to a line based on a sample pool of 249 people :man_facepalming:
1 million headphones are sold around the world in a day. If I have to take my ears and a song or that graph itā€™s my ears all day long.
You can lean and trust graphs but donā€™t refer to a group of 249 folks who used an unknown # of sliders to make that lineā€¦which is an avgā€¦and tell me a set is good or bad based on that.
If so, I call you LAZY.
Then I make a sandwich and go listen to some music :wink:

12 Likes

I actually like the leather pads on the GL2000 more than the hybrid. Slightly more bass,less soundstage, but also more comfortable. I do like the GL2000 over the Sundara now that its been a week.

2 Likes