Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Hip-dac first. I I have that and Q5K

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku So what were you going for with this prototype? Just so I can get an idea/baseline of what I’m listening to. What class was this an attempt to fit into?

I think that was me trying to make a bud for the bassheads out there, Grand Berserker 1. But ended up not liking it in MX500 (iirc, the issue I had was mainly the mids/treble on it) and used it for the Val39 (gen 2) shell instead, which ended up being the Grand Berserker 2.

2 Likes

Can I just say? On first listen, Grand Rider is

4 Likes

It’s warm, it’s wide, it’s a luxurious ride!

5 Likes

First Impressions of My Rikbuds Grand Rider (and Prototype) Experience

I have to say, I’m pretty impressed by both sets. I dunno if anyone that’s heard normal vs. grand types, but from what I’ve heard, my advice would be if there’s a grand option, spend the extra money and splurge. The normal types are very good appetizers for what @Rikudou_Goku csn do, but his grand types are a cut above. Even his non-ideal Berserker prototype punches with all the normal class sets I’ve had to try.

But hot diggity damn is the Grand Rider the tits. The only flaw on them for me is they can’t produce the quantity of bass or the precise amount of warmth to the note weight I’d prefer. The quality though, is fantastic.

The mids are special. They are in my top-3 for mids experience. I’m definitely sold and a believer in “earbuds can compete and surpass IEMs an order of magnitude more expensive”. Listening to these is going to be fun.

Finding expensive IEMs that don’t underwhelm is going to be a battle though. Yay!!! Lol

6 Likes

dbz-dragonball-z (1)

3 Likes

Oh don’t jump the gun yet. Wait till my review, to link :smirk::wink:

1 Like

I link impressions and proper reviews. :+1:

1 Like

I have both the Rider 1 and Grand Rider 1; they are more similar than different, as you would expect. The Grand really is just…MORE of what already made the Rider 1 great. What I would say, though, is that if your options are between getting a Grand or getting two different “spirits” with tunings that complement each other or interest you, it may be a better option to go with two “regulars” over a Grand. That is, unless you get to demo some or think you know which flavor you want off the bat.

3 Likes

This is a very fair point. If you don’t know what flavor(s) you want, auditioning the regulars makes sense. In my case, I had a good feeling I’d gravitate to the Rider class so taking a shot on Grand Rider made sense. Getting to audition most of the other types validated my leap of faith. But for everyone else, YMMV

3 Likes

Merry Christmas to everybody. Thank you for being such an awesome community that has made participating in the hobby so rewarding, the friends made (both near and far) and the absolutely mind-boggling spirit of generosity we’ve all experienced. It’s been truly inspiring, and I hope that I can pay it forward in 2023.

Everyone have a happy and safe holiday! :christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

11 Likes

Listening to a few songs:

The Speedwalker (Live at MSG):

Kai is a more satisfying bass, both the drum kits and bass guitar sound more “live” than on Cadenza. Cadenza has enough quantity of bass but I like Kai a little bit more. To my ear, the Kai is more forward in stage and Cadenza has a little more size to the soundstage. The imaging is a little less cramped on Cadenza.

Beautiful (from A State of Trance 2021):

Cadenza has an elevated upper-midrange. It’s not bad, but you can hear the difference in smoothness where Kai is lowered. It’s a clean upper-midrange. Cadenza plays with more sub-bass to my ear, it’s better for EDM. Treble is about the same, neither has a resolution advantage. Female vocals a little huskier on Cadenza here.

Heart of Gold - Charles Bradley

Instrument tonality and technicalities in the instrumental opening, I’d have to REALLY nitpick to pick much out between them. They sound very similar. I think they’re VERY similar in their male vocals, but I like the Kai personally just a bit more. Male vocals sound fuller to me on Kai here. But there is not much difference on this one.

One19 - Of Allies

This is where HBB tuning a set and it being tailored for his preferences makes a difference. Cadenza competes with Kai and sounds 90% as good but Kai is built for rock, almost literally. It’s a little crisper, more forward, but still has really good separation between guitars and drums and the vocals are in front of the instruments. Cadenza is like a step behind Kai here.

TL;Dr is Kai and Cadenza are more similar than they’re not: They trade blows in bass, but I think Cadenza is a little better with sub-bass but Kai is usually better in mid-bass. Their lower-midrange profiles similarly. Kai is a little more forward, Cadenza has a little better depth of soundstage but with rock, Kai is right there. Neither has treble that blows the other away but they’re not really the same. I can’t give you a better description there.

If I was buying a set just for HBBs library and similar genres, I’d say Kai is made for that. As an all-arounder, while they’re similar enough, I’d lean slightly to Cadenza.

4 Likes

A good read! Thanks dude!

1 Like

I’d have to agree with Canedza being a better all a rounder. At least for most people. For me I’d reach for Kai any day of the week before Cadenza. The upper midrange into the lower treble just don’t sit right with me Cadenza. Plus I’m more of a sucker for midbass so Kai gets a double win.

2 Likes

When sub-bass is over midbass, do things feel a bit empty for you?

1 Like

It depends on how much the sub-bass glides into the mid bass, versus a scoop. Scoops are way worse about that. And I’m definitely a mid bass over sub-bass person. Rumbling sub-bass is a bonus, but I need the mid-bass to be present and not pulled back

4 Likes

Sometimes. And yet it can’t do without mid-bass, despite the fashionable FRs of late.

1 Like

Im not a fan of a midbass scoop. For me it takes away the emphasis of the punch I crave for. In my thoughts it does make the song seem empty as you put it. Also if there’s to much upper
midrange and treble it sort of steals the show from the midbass. When you get to the upper midrange and treble I prefer them to be more mellow and laidback. If it’s to elevated compared to mid bass or to much emphasis is put in an frequency range of one of those areas it’s all I can focus on. I wouldn’t say they’re always piercing just that my brain and ears are more keen to picking them up. A good punchy midbass presence and lower treble really helps drive more fun and danceability into an IEM for my preference.

4 Likes

That mid-bass area is crucial because not only is it responsible for sub-bass overtones, it is also an area with a lot of instrument and vocal fundamentals. Having a dip there like Harman/Variations got is not a good thing at all imo.
(of course, overboosting that area is also not good, since so much is going on there.)

5 Likes