Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Dude, the time was dope! Thanks for meeting up and hooking me up with some fancy new tips. I can confirm that the Rosefinch with the deep mounts is top tier. Super comfortable. Can’t wait to experiment with them on other sets when I have a few hours to my self.

I’ll say this, the Olina SE was a fantastic set - it punches way above its price, in my opinion. I was a bit star struck at first, I must admit. Seeing them in my hands for the first time after hearing and reading countless peoples opinions was almost overwhelming - I really like the Turtle on the Faceplate btw. My Red Eared Slider named Michelangelo approves :v: they sounds great. No question. Comfortable to wear as well. Timbre stood out to me as natural to my ear, bass seemed cleaned and present, without being over bearing. I like a bit more warmth and punch in the lower mids/mid bass my self, but as an over all performer, I can see why it’s a steal at $100.

The Kai was smooooooth as silk. Really enjoyed them. I can see those being amazing for classic rock. Although, I like a touch more bite for electric guitars but hey, it can’t be perfect.

I would say the most surprising set was probably the Starsea and the 7hz Zero. The specific combination @GooberBM sprung on me with the zero blew my god damned socks off. I think the overall combo was around $200 including cable, IEM, and source - I was legitimately blown away. What an amazing set. Super duper clean mid-bass. Like really clean.

Honestly, if one of my friends asks “what IEM should I get at $20?” I’d rec the Zero for a clean replay, or the Rosefinch for some F you Bass. The Zero has my respect.

Lastly, I’ll say the P1 Max :panda_face: is an amazing set. By far more organic? compared to the Timeless. It didn’t sound too much like a planar, but with all the planar goodness (resolution and layering specifically). The Timeless is still my baby, don’t get me wrong - but damn, if the upper mids and treble bite is too much for you, but you’re addicted to the resolution and layering of the Timeless, get the P1 max. Far superior Fit, super light weight, very comfortable and a more laid back approach that would probably be pleasing to just about anyone.

Besides that - all was good! Had a great time. Wasn’t a long time, but you know what they say … we’ll do it again brother!

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, but last words are all that matters.

What buds did you try? :upside_down_face:

They were nothing buds, not anything like the buds everyone goes crazy about. And I was like “these are crappy buds and they don’t suck. I don’t know if I want to mess with the really good buds…” lol

We all waiting to see @domq422 's eyebrows
Pôle Emploi GIF - Pôle Emploi Queue File Dattente GIFs|833x465.00803212851406

3 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes

@nymz I have more thoughts to give on Monarch Mk II. I just wanted to give it the night to sit in my head.

I would need more time to decide what I’d grade/rank Monarch, but even with a couple of songs worth of time with it, it’s automatically at or above the level I have Fan 2 at (bear with me, I’m not gassing up Fan, I promise. I’m just stating the absolute floor of Monarch at the worst). The bass is really good. Sub-bass was very nice and if the graph says there’s a tuck in the mid-bass, I don’t hear it. It is NOT a thin mid-bass at all. Whatever the driver they’re using for the bass is spot-on.

Mids were just…fantastic. Good presence that wasn’t recessed in the least, vocals I got to hear were very very good. I played Hypnotic Brass Ensemble on them and the upper-mids/treble were SMOOTH. There is not a hint of bite to them at all. I didn’t do enough time to judge technicalities like details, imaging, layering and the such, but I have no reason to believe they’d be bad. None.

I just think, having listened to them, I’d have an aversion of going much over $500 for any IEM. They’re really good, but I’d NEVER wear them outside cause I’d be terrified of something happening. And I can’t imagine I’d be fully satisfied with dropping money on a kilobuck IEM that I’d only listen to sitting on my couch connected to a dac/amp. Like how my dream car is probably an Aston Martin but even if I could, I don’t think I’d ever buy one because where would I ever drive it? I don’t want to buy an expensive car for it to sit in a garage.

But I’d like to go to someone else’s garage and check out their car collection lol

PS- I’m laughing my ass off that I’ve created this hype around you @domq422 You’re welcome :wink:

6 Likes

By “nothing” do you maan these?

Lol, no. Dom couldn’t really tell me the name of them. They were just some random (to me) $20-30 pair of buds

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku @GooberBM one was NiceHCK EB2S and the other set was FAAEAL Iris (had to look back on my Amazon orders for this one).

The Iris I just don’t use, the NiceHCK on the other hand is a set I actually do use when I’m at home or at work when I’m stationed at a desk. They are truly fantastic for what they are, and I only paid about $15 for them. I mean, stellar, right?

The Iris shares the same shells as TGX buds and your buds I believe, Riku but I definitely could be dead wrong.

I’ve let go at this point and I’m just enjoying the nature of This conversation about my eye brows :joy::joy:

2 Likes

MX500, so yeah, we do use that shell. (along with others shells.)

uh, I found those to be pretty meh, nothing special but nothing bad.

Well considering I’ve only ever tried out these two buds, I don’t have much of a reference point. I can only compare them to my IEMs and to me, for the price I got them for, they’re decent and comfortable enough for me to be happy with them.

1 Like

Yeah, for some reason Nicehck likes to discontinue their actual good buds…
(ME80 and the EB2)

1 Like

Eventually, when I go down the buds rabbit hole I figure I’m gonna hit you up for something in the Rider line, TGX for Tantalus, and get out

2 Likes

Now, let’s turn the tables.

Should I buy Monarch Mk2? You’re the reviewer, your resposability. Whatever you say, happens.

@domq422 you can take his reponsability as well.

2 Likes

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin’
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won’t come out

3 Likes

Eyebrows Flying GIF - Eyebrows Flying Clouds GIFs|262.5x262.5

2 Likes

Tea Cult has cookies.

Dom Cult has BROWnies.

:woman_cook:

4 Likes

I CANNOT tell somebody, anybody, to buy a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR earphone. I’m not ready for that level of responsibility. Y’all are built differently, real talk.

BUT if you like warm-balanced stuff (a la Kai), it is a significant step up in sound quality. Is that worth $800-1000 to you? Then I can’t say don’t do it

2 Likes

You gotta make a decision. Training you up to become a reviewer.

:polar_bear:

2 Likes