Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

I jumped from sub-$300 to going into summit-fi level. I have no frame of reference to make that judgement for someone else yet. But I wouldn’t talk you out of it, if you said “I am going to buy them”

That’s the best I can give you, today

1 Like

Can’t dodge ‘em all…

3 Likes

It is absolutely fine to give a rec with caveats, a la “I think it’s grand but I would never SPEND a grand on it, ymmv.” Remember that everyone has different personal limits or budgets, and we live in an era where someone can find a winner at pretty much ANY budget level. There should be no pressure on you as a reviewer to draw that line, as everything is relative and ultimately it is the individual consumer that must make the final decision.

Also,
flcl-eyebrows

6 Likes

Yeah, Nymz isn’t letting off the hook on this one. I respect that, considering how I’m hounding him about AP5 and Vulkan

3 Likes

This is the kind of pressure I have to remind myself every review. We are talking real, hard working money over here. This is the reason you hype some, u ignore some. If brands don’t like it, their bad.

It’s a lesson, but in this case it was controlled :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Okay okay. Remember the caveat that I had a couple of songs with them. If @domq422 ever gave me 1-2 weeks with them I’d have a much better opinion:

It’s the best warm/balanced set I’ve heard. SQ- wise, the gap between Kai and it (as similar tuning styles) is why you pay for Monarch over Kai.

The earpiece’s reputation as a chonk is real. If you struggle with big shells, pass.

If I had $1000 and you said I get 1 IEM, I’m too infatuated/biased to Fan 2 so I probably would go there but I think it’s about personal quality of life choices over the sound.

If I had $1000 and could buy more than one set, I’d go Fan/Rosefinch/Zero/one more (AP5/Vulkan level) over Monarch. I’d take variety over 1 great set.

If you said I could have Monarch, I think it’s a signature that I’d happily take into my rotation. In my honest opinion, for you @nymz, if you REALLY are enjoying Oracle Mk II the way you are, I don’t know if I see the reason why you’d need to BUY Monarch Mk II. But if you could A/B them to see for yourself if there’s anything extra there, then do it. From what I heard, going up to Monarch Mk II is like getting maybe an extra 20-25% over what I could get from Kai (in my scoring, on my ranking list). From Fan 2, maybe it’s another 10% From Oracle Mk II, maybe it’s another 3-5%

I don’t see where the gain is, to spend that money. But if you need to squeeze all the blood out of the stone, then do it.

You played the FLCL card. This is how you win! I am the dork in the glasses, y’all do the math…

6 Likes

Damn, my boy Dom is a chad. Marry me

1 Like

I dunno what the picture I had in my head was, but I was very impressed in person. He’s a handsome fella. Luckily he has a smart woman who beat you to it!

1 Like

But is that a recommendation from my man Goober or not??

Tell me daddy

1 Like

It’s a “yes, but don’t come at me if Oracle is better” LMAO

1 Like

Alright daddy.

Thanks for the rec

Will come at you in a couple days

3 Likes

Well shit you escalated this real quick LMAO

This thread at the mo is as funny as fuck :rofl: thank you…:beers:…back to Pink Floyd :nerd_face:

3 Likes

What you jammin to? Pass that torch

Boom…

You passing the review torch to? :rofl:

Already told everyone. Once I retire, I’ll change my account new to Not_nymz_XD and troll everyone.

I will also ship all my leftover samples to someone and burry him in questions about them :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree. I will stay here now.

Yo @GooberBM i need a dap recommendation

1 Like

You got it for 5 hundred bucks did not you? :smiley: tell those aspiring if it is worth it to try hard to get your fame level

Get out of here with that. I’m a (US) apple dongle, Q5K, hip-dac 1 guy. That covers all my use cases