Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

My Impressions of KBear Xuanwu or I’m Going to Wait To Hold My Pecker First

Yeah, KBear is a meme that’s going to keep giving with that one, but still. I got the Xuanwu and before it becomes completely forgotten, thanks to the Pecker, let’s pop this one off.

THE SOUND

This is budget Harman-y sounding with plenty of bass boost. It’s not great, but as a budget beater with enough thump, this would be good enough. As I usually say, it comes down to flavor: Wan’er is more vocal-forward, Cadenza is balanced and more energetic in the upper-midrange. QKZxHBB was sub-bass focused and mellow in the treble. SGOR Venus is midbass focused and energetic in the early-mid treble.

Xuanwu is a bit of a mix between Cadenza and Venus to the ear: It’s sub-bass focused like Cadenza, but with more treble energy like Venus. Some will like that the vocals aren’t too forward, but others may find them too recessed. I appreciate the treble increase for clarity but that could be too harsh for others. It’s a give-take thing, all in all.

THE GOOD

• This build quality is off the charts. It’s got the same kind of shell as the $200 Wu Zetian Heyday, but it’s a better shell to me. It’s a little weightier but it feels so premium for $20-25
  • Tuned competitively in the budget sector, depending on taste
  • If you like a good V-shape that’s bass/treble focused, this is very good

THE BAD

• Weight of the set could be fatiguing to some
  • This is more energetic than the laid-back treble type will like
    • Some will find this fatiguing or harsh in that treble area
    • Can be a little janky in the upper-mids for rock, with a touch of grain/harshness
  • Too bassy for neutral-heads
  • Vocal-focused listeners will disapprove
    • Female vocals suffer more than male, but neither are going to check the box
  • As usual: If you already are good at the sub-$50 bracket, it’s passable. We’re not reinventing the wheel here

WHO IS THIS SET FOR?

• Non-critical listeners who want sub-bass and 5-10k treble focus
  • Someone who wants to feel like they own an expensive IEM but paid significantly less

WHO IS THIS SET NOT FOR?

• Vocal-centric listeners
    • Mid-centric listeners in general as well
  • People who need less treble elevation for preference or comfort
  • Someone who already feels satisfied with their budget options

What Does It All Mean?

This is another competent enough budget choice. This one is for general non-critical listening if you like sub-bass/treble focus. I’d probably call this the spiritual upgrade to the OG CCA CRA fans. Better build, probably a little easier in the treble but with that kind of energy. The biggest selling point is the shell. This is THE NICEST shell at the price point. If you want something that looks good, at a cheap price, this is the one. That’s it for this one and I’ll see you next time.

Grade for KBear Xuanwu: B-
Grade With Personal Bias: B-
Grade As a Food: Fast-Food French Fries

6 Likes

Nice :sunglasses:

1 Like

The memes and jokes are going to be strong with that one, brother

1 Like

Hell yeah man - oppoty and driams brother :joy:

4 Likes

McDonald French fries are at least A level!

8 Likes

At least. S if you’re drunk, stoned, or pregnant (got that from my girl apparently she’s fiendin’ on the fries lately and she normally doesn’t really eat them). :joy:

10 Likes

This man speaks the truth!

4 Likes

They are an A-level snack/munchie when you’re in a pinch, have a craving/it’s the quick thing to grab, sure.

If I’m offering you one of the two, do you want McDonald’s fries or a wagyu steak?

Okay then

1 Like

Fries. I find wagyu steak to be marbled to the point of tasting greasy most of the time. Then again, I’ve always been into leaner cuts.

2 Likes

Oh. My. Lord.

Stop being such pedantic jerkburgers already! :man_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Wow. I thought we were friends…:cry:

1 Like

Oh we are, that’s why my demand is completely toothless and for show lol

1 Like

Just for future reference, what’s a jerkburger? It sounds like something fast food employees do to your food if you complain…:nauseated_face::face_vomiting::rofl:

1 Like

Sure, it’s that lol

1 Like

Lol I’m picking fries too. I don’t like steak all that much. If we are talking lobster though…

2 Likes

Are. We. Done. Yet?

3 Likes

Haha I was just catching up. Carry on!

2 Likes

P.S. I remember when the Makayla Maroney silver medal face happened on live TV. It was legit hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried and I must’ve rewound the DVR to watch that half second like ten times. So classic and it’s exactly how I’ve felt everytime I’ve come in second. :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

I got these graphed today for @VIVIDICI_111 and got a much different midbass presentation on chart. My ears are also fairly in line with what I graphed. Can’t say I would be enjoying them so much had it been presented like the previous graph. Noting this is graphed with 250 mesh filters on the nozzle that @GooberBM put on them. Thank you for allowing to graph and demo these.

5 Likes

Diva about to take over your TOP 5?? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: