Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Goober’s IEM Upgrade Matrix

(version 1.0)

Goober’s IEM Upgrade Matrix

Follow the link here, and I will also put it in my top post for easy records and access as it evolves over time. (Or not, because older posts are locked. So I guess bookmark this one if you wanna find it later :man_shrugging:t5:). I highly suggest checking this out on a monitor/laptop or a larger screen. This is not cell phone friendly.

But this is my record of what I suggest and recommend in most any situation, primarily considering price and driver type vs. tuning styles.

Hope this helps somebody out there :+1:t5: :+1:t5:

12 Likes

pm one of the mods here. Like @M0N

2 Likes

You should now be able to edit the top post @GooberBM

3 Likes

Thank you for that!

Great amount of work you put in here :palms_up_together:
One comment to make it more readable even on computer is to lock the color code legend in each tab in first 2 rows as now you need to jump around tabs to decode.
Also - someone with programming skills (like chatgpt) may be able to build around this database and make a nice UI - like on hifiguides mainpage (that I believe not many are aware of) https://hifiguides.com/

4 Likes

This is very cool, thanks for the hard work!

3 Likes

great document/start! I will definitely look to it when I want to upgrade from my Olina.

the distinction between neutral-harman and neutral surprised me at first, but it makes sense after having read the explanations.

3 Likes

Hopefully I’ll have heard some more sets and some of the sets in white can get a color

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to go through. I will definitely take that feedback into account and look into how to change some of the formatting to do it in a way I’ll be satisfied with.

The reason I set it up the way it is was so that people would have to use the explanation page without just glossing it over (and then getting mad like “my favorite set is neutral to me, why did you call it Harman?”

Cause you know someone out there would not read the whole thing and then get mad

1 Like

I’m happy to share some of my iems for your database. I’ll PM you.

4 Likes

By default, the sheet opened on a listing tab for me. If you force the opening on the definition tab, it may help too

2 Likes

That’s what I was trying to do. It might be linked to whatever page I have it opened on when I’m tinkering. I’ll try leaving my master copy on the explanation page.

EDIT: thanks for letting me know. It should open to the explanatory page now. Let me know if it doesn’t

3 Likes

I wanted to just highlight all of @GooberBM ‘s profound work and dedication within this hobby really quick.

I’ve known this dude for about 6-7 months now and even have had the opportunity to sit down and meet with the man him self on multiple occasions. I’ve said this in the past but I’ll say it again, his passion for this hobby is second to none and further more, his love for helping others with recommendations and contributing to this forum for all to see and digest cannot be denied. Hats off to you, Brandon :handshake: this new matrix you’ve created will undoubtedly assist so many new comers and vets for years to come and the beauty of it all will be years down the road, when someone can reference this matrix to all for easy to follow upgrade paths and digestible price point and tuning recs.

You’re doing great work, brother / keep it up :handshake:

14 Likes

path of building for iems :rofl:

2 Likes

The matrix has some great information. The upgrade path part is very useful.

I was impressed that the Kiwi Ears Quartet falls into your warm-neutral, Harman-neutral, neutral-Harman, and Bassy-Dark. That set has been on my radar, but I wasn’t sure.

I saw that @VIVIDICI_111 mentioned they fit like the OG Tea, which is the best fitting IEM I own. The two things combined make me think they are likely worth the $100, and his review ( IEM discussion thread (Part 1) - #7787 by VIVIDICI_111 ) did nothing to dissuade me.

6 Likes

Only thing to note about Quartet is I haven’t heard them yet. Those are my reasonable guesses but it’s subject to change once I have

3 Likes

Thank you, Goober!

This is the approach I champion for some time and that is replacing “the one true target” approach with clustering to target types and ranking per target. This is the kind of work that really pushes the hobby forward.

Love it, great work!

4 Likes

Tripowin Piccolo or The Dawn of a New Era

Things have taken a big change and it’s time for an evolution. I’ve started moving my impression/reviews in a different direction during the last IEM tour members of the HFGF community did (shout outs here). Then of course, I debuted my IEM Upgrade Matrix, which has kind of changed the game for how I’m approaching new gear. I still have my personal opinions, and the part where I rank things (and the foods they’re associated with) aren’t going anywhere but I have a deeper calling to follow now: I’ve given in and now I’m a part of The Matrix. Won’t you take the blue pill and go down the rabbit hole with me.

Songs to Listen to and Follow Along:

As usual, I’m going to write my thoughts in generalities, but I’ll give you a sample of songs that I listen to, that will relate to the concepts I write about. Feel free to ask for specifics, if you don’t keep up with my thought processes.

Playlist

Swashers/Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa (For imaging/detail retrieval (:00-1:00 Swashers), general technicalities check (both), soundstage depth/dynamics/layering/separation (:00-:30 Bubbles))

The Speedwalker (Live at Madison Square Garden) - The Fearless Flyers (For bass elements, particularly sub-bass/mid-bass interplay, drum kits, soundstage/layering)

DISINTER MY HEART - TRAILS (For treble response and resolution, male vocals, midrange response)

When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola (For Imaging/detail retrieval :00-:07, tonality, timbre, male/female vocal interplay)

Fundamental Elements of Madness - Dax Johnson (For soundstage width 1:10-1:26, piano tonality)

THE SOUND

I Know Victoria’s Secret, She Was Never Made For Me And You
(IEM Tuning Style: QDC-Style)

I find the Piccolo to have a pretty balanced sound: It’s got a sufficient bass that’s midbass focused, however if you’re a fan of tight, agile bass this won’t be it for you. It’s a slower, lingering bass that can be a little pillowy. In the QDC-style, I’d say this has a bit heavier note weight and more body. It won’t be as fluid and clean in the lower midrange as a set like Tri Starsea, which could be a pro or a con depending on your listening preferences. Vocals are forward and expressive, thanks to the early and shorter pinna gain and the upper midrange just avoids being overly peaky to my ear, in spite of that emphasis. The treble graphs as a Goldilocks treble (not too dark or bright), but to my ear it actually edges a little darker/smoother which likely comes from the dual peaks at/around 8k and 10k (and the resultant dips). I find the resolution good for my ear but not earth shattering for the under-$50 bracket. Soundstage plays deeper than wider and dynamics are only average: Piccolo cannot pass my “Swashers” test, of seeing if the waves in the first 30 seconds can pass from the left ear all the way across the soundstage to my right ear. That is perfectly acceptable at $35 though.

THE GOOD

• Balanced tuning overall; more mature than Tangzu Wan’er
  • Warmer tonality (if that’s your thing)
  • Matte metal shell (if that’s your thing)
  • Decently good resolution for price bracket
  • Soundstage depth

THE BAD

• Bass is fine but average. Soft/pillowy, not dynamic or textured
  • Lower midrange masking (if you prefer clean midbass)
  • Forward, emphasized vocals (if that gets intense for you)
  • Treble could use more energy
  • Shell fit: The metal shell is heavy and fatigued my ears in long-listening sessions

WHO IS THIS SET FOR?

• Someone who is curious about a set like Dunu SA6 series, but has zero idea about how that sound works
  • Someone who likes sets like Dunu SA6 but doesn’t want to walk around in public with $600 in their ears
  • Someone who values clean (but basic) dynamics and vocal emphasis
  • Someone who prefers a warmer tonality/note weight

WHO IS THIS SET NOT FOR?

• Someone who already owns or has decided they don’t like sets like Tri Starsea, Dunu SA6 or Vulkan (if you are anti-redundancy). This is a beginner’s set
  • Someone who can have fit issues. I don’t have fit issues and this set wore my ears out. Take that as your warning here
  • Someone who prefers a clean, lean tonality/note weight. In that case get Kinera Celest Gumiho

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

What it means is that Tripowin Piccolo is one of the sets I would recommend to dip a toe in the QDC-style. This and Celest Gumiho leave the Tangzu Wan’er as a set I can recommend passing on: It is not on the level of either of these sets. Piccolo and Gumiho are a yin and yang: Piccolo is preferable for people who prefer body and warmth in their replay, Gumiho is for people who prefer a clean midrange that fully emphasizes vocals. Depending on your taste, if you have never dipped into the QDC-style of tuning, there are two sets I’d suggest to get a feel for it. If you want a little color in you replay, Tripowin Piccolo is the one for you. And that’s going to be it for this review. Enjoy your days, and take care till next time!

Rank for Tripowin Piccolo: B-
Rank With Personal Bias: B-
Recommendation Level: Entry-Level Recommendation (QDC-Style)
Rank As a Food: Flavored Water

12 Likes

Nice write-up! To me Piccolo didn’t sound anything like the SA6 MK2 - I’d be worried for Dunu if it did :joy: It’s way way harsher in the vocals and treble, forward, and also not recessed. Dynamics are poopy compared to the MK2, and of course tech as well.

2 Likes

Great observations and that’s exactly the point. It’s entry level to that tuning style. If someone had never heard an SA6 and didn’t want to blind buy for $600, I’d suggest something like Piccolo and Gumiho and then they can go down the pathways where it gets more refined, until you get to SA6.

It’s like Piccolo with Neon Pro. The graph is like they stole the tuning, but I’m sure Neon Pro is immensely more refined at it. That’s why Piccolo is $35 and a B- and not $700 and an A or S. Piccolo is for dipping your toe into that world, IMO

5 Likes