Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

He’s going to run through all the options and and then leave it to me for graphing. We may be the first to actually get this or at least a bunch of combos up on graph.

2 Likes

You thing it’s worth me buying the RAH? Get both these bad boys graphed.

2 Likes

I can ask the guy who sold me his opinion, but he wasn’t that high on Rah. He actively said he probably shouldn’t have sold Ozar. The fact that there’s a Rah 2023 that’s supposed to be an improvement would probably make it harder to catch-and-release it unless you can talk him down from list price

2 Likes

How would you describe the signature?

Bob uses the Ozar as a daily driver himself, so…

3 Likes

You can shape it however you want it to be.

Stock (to my ear) is probably pretty well balanced somewhere between warm-neutral and harman-neutral (for what I’d categorize it on my matrix).

If you want to make it more V-shaped, you can. If you want it big, fat, too much bass, you can do that, if you want it at Simgot bass levels you can do that, if you want it upper-midrange focused, you can do that, if you want a flatter signature or even if you want to kill the bass off completely, you can do any of them.

But the big thing is the driver is a fucking champ because it handles many of those tunings well, it just comes down to taste and preference. @rattlingblanketwoman told me about the fit issues he had that made Ozar untenable for him and they didn’t bother me all afternoon. I could’ve worn them all day

5 Likes

I tried every tip, would always get a popping with jaw motion / some vacuum seal (both on the right side only). I really wish it wasn’t the case.

For me, they went in like a glove and disappeared

3 Likes

There’s always ear canal transformation surgery I guess…

6 Likes

At least if you ever want another go at them, you know where to find them :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well that sounds amazing!

The changes are subtle on BC 2023 from IMR, but this a very open model so the filters are maybe not changing that much.

Biggest downside to the BC for me has been a sharp metallic sound in the upper mids. Should probably have gone with another model like the Ozar.
Made it better by going with the least treble intensive filter.

1 Like

Will just be difficult for some to get on board with any IMR purchase after what their founder did previously…

4 Likes

I actually agree with you on that (and will note that when I get around to writing the IEM up) and do not good it against anyone taking that stand against supporting IMR directly.

I feel comfortable with secondhand purchasing IMR sets, like I did here. My money went to the community and not the company, so I’m good with that

I certainly cannot speak for another IMR set but with Ozar changing the nozzle base has a profound effect on bass levels. The upper filter may be more subtle in the changes, sure

3 Likes

Each to their own but what you actually did there was give money to someone who condoned scamming community members out of their hard earned :dollar: that company will always be dead to me sorry.

2 Likes

I accept that opinion and point of view.

I just consider the fact that if I cut out every company that carried out distasteful and/or unethical business practices, I would be more likely to not be able to buy or use any products.

We all decide what we are willing to condone or not (for example, I’m sure plenty of people would disagree with me, but I can’t see myself ever buying an Elysian IEM, and that’s my right to my opinion on Lee). As long as we don’t use our valid opinions to hate on or chastise others, it’s cool with me

2 Likes

What is the story behind IMR scandal? Only heard about it recently.

1 Like

Did I miss something. Is the seller actually part of Trinity/IMR and the one who did the scam or was aware of it?

Crins article sort of touches on it in the beginning of it.

3 Likes

There’s a couple things:

• the guy behind IMR worked at another IEM company (iirc as their engineer/tuner) and they took a lot of money for IEMs that were never produced, and never returned it. It’s not substantiated but there are rumors some of that money went into starting IMR

• Bob is also notoriously bad at hitting deadlines and the lead time on some of his builds has grown to asinine levels, leading to massive cancellations on some models (ie. the sets available on Penon are considered the leftover sets from cancellations). On this point, there are NO active claims, that i know of, that IMR does anything but have great customer service in handling cancellations and returning money

8 Likes