Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

They’re not universally loved, but the people they hit for will die on that hill. Me included

So I’d say it’s worth the risk but I’m biased.

#YOLO

3 Likes

Graph wise, I say the 41T looks like the safer choice.

2 Likes

I feel like the reviews I have read of the Vulkan are much more polarizing than the 41t.

It seems like it’s hard to lose with the 41t for the price but as @GooberBM mentioned the Vulkan is a high risk high reward IEM.

I haven’t heard the 41t but the Vulkan and I did not get along at all and it was all due to the treble spikes

3 Likes

Yeah have not heard the 41T either but the Vulkan was kinda meh to me.

IMO at that price, get a used Sony XBA-A3.

I agree with Riku and Goober. I’ll add this:

Bass is better on Vulkan. Vulkan can be harsh at higher volume though. For $228, it’s a great buy imo.

41T is a more relaxed tuned IEM. You can crank the volume and not be bothered since it’s a bit darker.

Fit wise for me, the 41T is smaller and better shaped so it is very comfortable. Vulkan required a lot of tip rolling to get the right fit.

2 Likes

Keep your Sony bias to yourself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Maybe @Cameleon30 agrees with the A3 rec. :joy:
(he bought one after all.)

2 Likes

Regarding A3, I need a few more days to judge and A/B with Vulkan. But so far I really like it. Bass good :drooling_face:

Edit: I think A3 is what I wanted Timeless to be. Timbre is perfecto

1 Like

Bass and stage on the A3 kicks the Vulkan´s ass IMO.

It’s different though, Vulkan is way cleaner in the bass (not that A3 is muddy or bloated in any way).

1 Like

Yeah their presentation of bass is different so cannot really do a 1:1 comparison.

In the next week or so I will A/B A3 with Quartet (off-off) and Vulkan.

2 Likes

Now I’m more confused than ever. :slight_smile:

Maybe I’ll go down a different path?
What’s an IEM that is super clean and crisp with great vocals?

My favorite IEM is the Penon Fan 2, but that’s my first attempt out of the budget range.

Listening to the sound samples on the Dan’s Audio Reviews youtube channel, I seem to be drawn to the clean, crisp, clinical sound (I guess that’s what you would call it) like the Kiwi Orchestra Lite. The 41T sounds good too, but it’s a fuller sound to me & may be similar to what I already own.

I find the 41t fairly clinical / thinner noteweight personally.

BTW had to comment - is that Plastic Man in your avatar?

That is Plastic Man, my favorite superhero!

I’m back on the 41T now, because the crisp & clinical sounding ones, at least coming from a youtube video, were starting to annoy me. Wish he had a video with the Vulkan.

Any idea how the 41T would differ from a Tin HiFi T3 Plus?
I own that one, and for me it’s good, but nothing special stands out like my Fan 2.

Dunu Vulkan would hit that target more than 41T IMO. Other sets I’ve heard that may work well include:

• Raptgo Bridge
  • Kiwi Ears Quintet
  • Kinera Celest PhoenixCall (This is more V-shaped than the others, but I still rate it)
  • Ziigaat Cinno

One set I haven’t heard but I’m confident would fit in this conversation is Simgot EA1000.

If I was going to pick one, of the ones I have heard, it would be Vulkan

You really like the Vulkan! I feel like I’m missing out if I don’t get it now.
But then other people say it’s nothing special which sure confuses things.
I guess that happens with just about all earphones. I’ve even seen people say they hated $1,000 earphones that others love (except for Unique Melody MEST MKII…everyone loves that one.)
I may have to flip a coin.

1 Like

I think MEST MK II is technically great but soulless. I didn’t enjoy it, even if I know I’m hearing well produced sound.

Would not buy it over any of the sets I mentioned above.

Nobody in my tour group really liked Vulkan all that much, but they made sure I got it and I love it.

So there’s always going to be an opinion that goes against. The point is to find gear that you connect with and love. You’re listening to music for you, not everyone else’s approval

3 Likes

Do you know the reasons some people didn’t like the Vulkan?

Like I said. This ^^^

2 Likes