Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Also I feel that a lot of reviewers thought it was not worth the price. But if you are getting one for less than $300 I think that it’s worth it.

One thing I would say is that vocals are not forward on Vulkan. I found them fine but they are not the center of it’s tuning.

3 Likes

I would disagree with this. They’re not extra forward, but if vocals aren’t the center of the tuning what is? The bass isn’t overwhelmingly emphasized at all. Vocals are the priority IMO

2 Likes

They are doing vocals well. But they are not super forward like on Olina or Blessing or SSR.

1 Like

Personally vocals are my main priority in a set and I agree with @Cameleon30 that I wouldn’t get them for their vocals. I think Vulcan’s main value is it’s really unique replay along with great bass quality and a great stage. The extra boost in the 8k area throws off the tonal balance of vocals too much for me.

1 Like

Tanchjim Oxygen is my rec and one I have.

Simgot EA1000, Dunu Falcon Ultra and perhaps the Simgot EM6L have a pretty good rep out there though.
(EA1000 and the EM6L are on the way to me.)

More balanced compared to the more V-shaped looking T3 Plus.

Fan 2 sure does graph unique.

I agree with female vocals, if that is your main priority then that is something the Tanchjim Oxygen shits on it IMO.

(the stage on the vulkan is big but doesnt really impress me either, but thats because I got a lot of the Sony iems which are the kings in that area.)

2 Likes

Eyyyy. Oxygen gang :)))

1 Like

I was able to A/B Vulkan and Sony A3 this morning.
If your library is mostly rock/metal, Vulkan is the #1 pick. Clean and crisp replay with great vocals. It works with older recordings like Creedence, newer alt-rock or indie releases or faster metal genre like Pantera or Slayer. Same applies to more vocal centric genre.

If you listen to electro and hip-hop, it’s just a matter of preference. Vulkan is clean and crisp, A3 is full and warm with amazing bass slam.

For classical, I personally prefer the improved technicalities (except stage) of Vulkan. It’s more immersive, more detailed and just more engaging.

Overall, Vulkan is better choice.

5 Likes

tenor (4)

5 Likes

A3 for Jazz is pretty amazing though.

2 Likes

Do you think this comparison to Blessing 2 is accurate (from HeadFi):

Comparison
I believe Moondrop Blessing 2 is the most compared IEM if not the only true challenger to Vulkan. Both of these IEMs have a similar configuration and are priced within the same realm of competitiveness (Vulkan with dual dynamic driver and an additional $60 premium).

Blessing 2 is by far regarded as the standard or benchmark for IEMs below $500 by many enthusiasts in terms of tuning-wise and resolution-wise. Some might even say it’s the best within the kilo buck range if not the best in value. Coming from Blessing 2 or neutral camp generally, I find myself leaning towards Blessing 2 most of the time. However, after some time, I can vouch for Vulkan to be an equal or a rival to Blessing 2 for different reasons.

While Blessing 2 is a true studio monitor with an analytical or reference-style tuning approach, Vulkan is a more natural and musical set. Other than near-top resolution & a cleaner presentation, Blessing 2 boasts better micro dynamics too. Vulkan on the other hand boasts an atmospheric presentation that is a wide sound stage and a bigger image with explosive impacts. Musical instruments sound more realistic on Vulkan whereas Blessing 2 is more detailed. So, it’s totally depending on what one wants in their music playback fix. I find myself liking both of them for their own strong qualities.

They are VERY different. The B2 is more on the analytical/thinner/brighter sounding side while the Vulkan is warmer, thicker and warmer in comparison.

The B2 however have a VERY bad timbre and very incoherent though. So if you prefer what the B2 is trying to to do (brighter, thinner, analytical) the Oxygen shits on it.

3 Likes

While I have not heard the Blessing 2 the quote below personally invalidates the entire comparison to me.

these are some baseless claims that serve no purpose. If this was even the case why would they make a Blessing 2: Dusk? I hear no one talk about the OG Blessing 2 ever.

5 Likes

It having $1000 sound was Crin’s idea about 3 years ago. That and the B2D being end-game have been parroted around Reddit and elsewhere ever since.

1 Like

thats my take. Everyone whose is making that claim is just parroting Crin’s take

I would say I’m a low volume listener.
Is the comment below accurate (part of another review on HeadFi).

If you’re a low volume listener, the Vulkan might not be a good phone for you. Reason being the Fletcher Munson Curve highly applies to the Vulkans as well as the dynamic drivers seem to need more volume to wake up. At low listening volumes, Vulkans dynamics are not really apparent, in fact sounds lacking if not a bit flat sounding, not really engaging. You’re not going to hear what the Vulkans actually sound like. You might as well listen with airplane buds as there will really not be much difference.

Fletcher munson curve applies to EVERYTHING.

That is due to psychoacoustics, and it applies to everything, higher volumes will increase your perception of dynamic range. And a smoother mids/treble tuning is also worse in that regard.

They must be deaf.

2 Likes

Probably just because they don’t give a damn… but curious - any chance those peaks would help cut through airplane noise? I feel like pinna and treble would help with that. Doubtful they would have put in thought or effort though. But for an open cheap bud it might be helpful just to hear movie dialogue.

Edit: looking again calling it pinna gain would be a stretch. A lot of spoken word in that region though?

1 Like

If anything you will be barely be able to hear ANYTHING with that “tuning”.
A lot of fundamentals even for voices are in the 100-300hz range and while it is true that the missing fundamental principle will help you perceive it to a certain degree, that graph looks worse than a regular phone speaker.

And airplane noise is also pretty low in frequency (100hz from what I can see on google). So you would need the iem to compensate for that by BOOSTING the bass to overcome it.

2 Likes

I tend to ignore Head-Fi reviews. So I wouldn’t even be paying that much mind

4 Likes

I review on head fi, and there are a few there that I just feel have no integrity as they just shill reasonable products with no standard. There are a few good ones, but you gotta watch out.

4 Likes