Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Thanks for reminding me I didn’t actually write up Twilight when I demo’d it. That was dumb of me lol.

I was too busy comparing it to Shortbus Glamdring at the time, to judge whether I felt like it was earbud like. I can see the line of thinking there, with exponentially better sub-bass (I heard Twilight’s bass more as sub/early-midbass than a lot of sets I would describe as midbass emphasized), yes. That was a very very good IEM though…damn lol

8 Likes

Sorry, not sorry, I was waiting very long for your comparison EA1000 and Twilight that you “promised” , but in the end @heartless did it for me and it seems like apples to oranges in the end :ok_hand:

And ok, you are probably right that those are not the most mid bass heavy set. I am probably just biased due to the fact that most of my other sets or the ones I listened to recently have very heavy sub over mid bass characteristics and a constant downward slope toward mid range. In comparison Twilight seems even more mid bassy to me than they are for other users. That was kind of reach into earbuds comparison, but other parts still stand for me - especially the way they feel in my ear like opem back and present the music. On a second thought maybe I just cannot get a correct seal with them which would cause the first part as well? :smiley:

Edit: love them to death, probably would end up selling MEST.

3 Likes

I was supposed to compare Twilight to EA1000? That one doesn’t make sense, mainly cause there was zero overlap to me demoing Twilight and when I got EA1000, cause @Jaytiss demo’d my set between purchase and receipt for me.

I’d say they would be comparable overall. EA1000 brighter overall, Twilight way more special in the bass and probably a slight upgrade overall, but I’d say EA1000 is 90%+ of Twilight for far less.

• if you have neither, I’d get EA1000
  • if you want special sauce, price no object, get Twilight
  • if you already have Twilight, you can safely pass EA1000
8 Likes

Thanks for that. I liked the EA1000, but am glad to not have purchased it.

2 Likes

You did say you would make this comparison (not directly ABing to be fair), I have this link saved in yoir files of my cabinet

Well, I have Twilight and was expecting EA1000 to be exactly as you described. But then in the meantime @heartless was less positive about this comparison when comparing my Twilight to his Simgot :thinking:

If Twillight shares any DNA at all with earbuds, the EA1000 is nothing like it.

1 Like

The price I got EA1000 for us easily worth it, even relative to 500LM. But yeah, $200+ is a tough ask in this current environment.

1 Like

After being called out that often, it’d be quite reasonable to actually speak out and let the others know my experiences.

Just like @pylaczynski mentioned, I wasn’t blown out by EA1000 especially when Twilights were laying by my side.

Truth be said, they didn’t sound that much alike to me.
Each presented the sound in a different manner.

Simgots appeared more analytical, almost like trying to outline every note and, sadly, every vocal.

They were less bassy, though the bass was slightly more dense, with more emphasized kick.

Mids sounded thinner and more withdrawn.

Highs - a bit too hot for my taste.

All in all, Twilights felt more mature, natural. They could show you every detail, every piece of information without sounding try-hardish.

Almost like they took all the best from earbuds and IEMs.

They really shined with vast, epic soundstages.

Having said that, I didn’t fall in love with Twilights - though I highly admire what Softears achieved with them.
They didn’t really engage me that much in the music.

Most likely I’m more of a BA guy.

8 Likes

I like this take, experienced that many times in the hobby as well. And feel you could replace EA1000 and Twilight with sets from all kind of price ranges and this would be still valid (like a russian doll with MH755 being the smallest one being 95% of Zeros of this world and ending at Storm being the absolute). Though the more longer I am in love with IEMs the more I appreciate this extra few percent that often those expensive sets bring even if this is hardly justifiable by the cost difference.

… or they do not bring objectively anything at all, but I tricked my mind to believe that to justify the purchase

3 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty much with @heartless, though I don’t think EA1000 is too thin. But the stock nozzles are brighter and more analytical.

I love EA1000 with a DIY nozzle, with 500mesh filter on it. So I haven’t even used the stock nozzles in a minute

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. I sure wouldn’t have that one in my mind cause yeah, they’re definitely doing things in their own ways.

It is a philosophical question at its heart: do you want to stay lower budget and get a very good set that checks a lot of boxes but may not have an extra gear or special sauce? Or is the time and extra money spent hunting that IEM with the something special worth it?

While I have loved the time I’ve had with sets that legit have some magic to them, most often no I don’t value that special sauce enough to personally invest.

And that’s not even considering the subjective part of when I think something has magic and others don’t or they do and I say “not so fast, my friend”.

1 Like

Here’s a case in point:

Venus is a $20 set I banged the drum on and it went right into the ether. Pretty much TOTL tuning on a budget 1DD set when everyone whines about how homogenous the price bracket is, but it never got any traction. It obviously has too much energy at 3-6k, but that is a filter away from being a beast.

It’s not a soundstage/technicality set (cause no $20 is) but holy crap is this a nice playing IEM. I’m pretty happy I picked it today for snow shoveling duty

4 Likes

I think that both perspectives are right for a specific person.

But I think there is another layer - you seem like a person that gets helluva fun from exploring this cheaper ranges and seeing what those can bring having heard what the absolute best sets of the World do bring. And you seem like you have fun writing about it so you do a job for a lot of people in the hobby :+1:

I for example am probably more selfish. I also like to test IEMs all around to see what is this rave all about, but in the end I want to feel “safe” and have a perspective in mind that I can go back home and listen to a set I know and love and most often spend hard money on.
As I have recently a very demanding job and a very demanding kid (and wife hehe) I appreciate the leftovers of my free time even more than I did even 4 years back.

And therefore having more than 3 sets to juggle around with each having something good and something bad is those another 5 minutes spent on thinking what I would pick in the end. Or another dollars I could have spend on potentially one and only set I would ever need instead. Or hitting and missing
And I actually love listening to the music the most out of this hobby (apart from you guys obviously :heart: )

7 Likes

KZ DQ6 says hello. :smirk:

3 Likes

edit im actually insanely blind, NVM haha

Deleted for reasons :upside_down_face:

Moved to pm, lol

2 Likes

Ugh - sorry everyone - that was supposed to be a pm

5 Likes

6 Likes