Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

This is why I can’t with Penon. Tripowin Piccolo is like $35. So the extra 3 DD (and more forward pinna gain profile) make Dome 10x more expensive? Why isn’t this a sub-$200 IEM, outside of “people will pay whatever Penon asks”?

8 Likes

Piccolo looks a lot better to me as well. That 500-2k bump on the dome looks terrible and wonky af.

3 Likes

Not sure if it was just a careless mistake, but quattro is the 4dd, Dome has extra 3 BA. Doesn’t change your argument at all though.

2 Likes

Yes, I had too many Penon sets to remember. You are right, thanks!

2 Likes

The better question is if they are even worth remembering. :joy:

6 Likes

I dig the sound, way better than Piccolo imo. Piccolo was another Harman/df but the Dome is neutral-warm with intimate vocals. Very immersive and much smoother than Piccolo, but definitely not worth the asking price tho $350 :joy: I’d pay $150-200 at most.

7 Likes

btw, do you guys have your music on local files or streaming (spotify, etc…)?

I am quite certain I will buy a NAS setup and move my files over to it and stream from there over to pc.

5 Likes

Stream.was on Spotify and switched to Apple. I don’t have the setup to run local. Wish I did,but I’m running digital from LG tv to my J2

What is hindering you?

1 Like

I keep everything local on my PC, HDD backups and 1TB SD card in my DAP for on the road.
I use Qobuz for discovery when I’m bored or inspired, then “acquire” what I really like through a downloader (which I then manually tag and standardize db with and copy to both DAP and HDDs).
If I can’t get something via Qobuz, it’s purchase via wherever I can find it on or Yo-ho-ho if I can’t find it that way.

its what I have atm.

Dont have it cuz i am way too lazy and wont remember to periodically move new stuff over to it. (its a big reason why I want a NAS since it can automate that.)

I use Youtube for that.

1 Like

I would note that I do the HDD backups manually; I just move whatever I added to the DAP that isn’t already on the backup that day when I get home, otherwise I just do a full-copy of whatever isn’t already on there like once every two months if I’m on the road for extended periods. I have considered a NAS mirror for this but honestly I don’t grab enough new stuff regularly to warrant the cost/effort IMO. I’m old-fashioned and I’ll be that was as long as I can lol.

That is exactly what Im too lazy to do. A NAS can fully automate that.
The NAS setup im looking at is gonna be scarily expensive though…around 1 000 usd…

TBF, there are low budget options if all you want is a way to automatic file transfers. Take a look at the Synology DS120J, Synology DS223J, QNAP TS-133, QNAP TS-233

1 Like

Stream on Amazon music hd. Their algorithms have had like a decade to get to know me so I don’t wanna give that up.

At least once a week, I pop a :fire::fire::fire: playlist that I grab new songs from

3 Likes
5 Likes

Nope. They usually are not.

The super early rise before 1k is textbook QDC-style. Graphs more mellow in the early treble though

3 Likes

I’ve recently bought a DAP (Sony NW-A306) but I still prefer to stream and use PlexAmp to stream from a server that I rent.

Not your own server?

Nope, it’s a seedbox so it’s used for multiple purposes. Monthly cost isn’t too bad at £13 a month or so for 3TB of storage and the apps etc are all maintained for me.

1 Like

Thats better than cloud services like google drive at least.