Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

I use both Tidal and Spotify - latter has better algorithms for discovery and more non-music content.

Just bear in mind that NAS isn’t failproof either (those server hard drives still can and do fail, and if you use RAID, your cost goes up as you need to multiply hard drives). I use backblaze for cloud backup of all my external HDD storing important data.

4 Likes

I listen to music when I’m gaming. So I have everything coming from the tv. Playing Xbox series X.Run to my j2 to my l70. I don’t know how I would be able to run local files from the Xbox/tv. Not the the best when it comes to figuring how to run certain things certain ways.Any help would be great,since you do know your stuff!:call_me_hand:

Are you ONLY listening to music while gaming or do you also have the game sound on? If its off, then I imagine you just need a separate source for your music, like a cheap DAP with an sd card.

If you need both music and game sound on, then I am not sure u can do that.

1 Like

I use Tidal usually, but always gets the latest albums in digital format of my artist collection in local files. Best faves flac, others mp3.

2 Likes

Highly prefer Dome over Piccolo​:speak_no_evil::see_no_evil::smile:

1 Like

Congrats to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I run about 15% game volume and the rest music volume

Looks like it is possible if you have the music files on an usb stick.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/rzkmwt/playing_music_from_a_usb_during_games/

I stream from YT Music. I also uploaded my local files so it is accessible through the streaming app.

I am thinking about getting a DAP maybe someday just to have a backup that does require network.

pile_of_CDs

I regret getting rid of my CD’s after digitising my library. I hope to rebuild that collection of physical media and get something like that Shanling EC Mini as funds become available.

Aside from the tech overlord conspiracy dramas in relation to streaming, I just miss listening to full albums as I used too. Artists such as Coheed and Cambria had full concept albums as a body of work (and cool liner notes) and it’s harder to click off with a physical CD. It might be a losing campaign even with myself but I plan to try.

2 Likes

Also are you familiar with Plex server/ Plex amp? Don’t know much on it myself but I saw a video about it on Darko Audio’s YT channel where he was able listen to his library on the go…

3 Likes

ahh @DagsJT I just saw your posts about it :melting_face:

1 Like

Yes, you can set up a plex server on your own NAS at home and basically take your whole library with you.

(I do think there might be some security risks with doing that since you are opening up your NAS to the internet.)

1 Like

Yincrow W-3000 or Goober’s Been a Bad Boy Neglecting His Buds…

R
As a part of my Christmas culling of sets I wasn’t using, I was able to make a trade of earbuds, thanks to @StevehamNY. He took my TGXear Alpha off my hands in exchange for his Yincrow RW-3000. I’d only ever heard the Y6, so getting Yincrow’s TOTL earbud (for like a week before the 4000 was released. LOL) was an interesting proposition, considering the reputation of the 2000 and 3000s. Do the YW-3000s live up to all the fuss surrounding them? Stay tuned to find out.

Songs to Listen to and Follow Along:

As usual, I’m going to write my thoughts in generalities, but I’ll give you a sample of songs that I listen to, that will relate to the concepts I write about. Feel free to ask for specifics, if you don’t keep up with my thought processes.

Playlist

Swashers/Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa (For imaging/detail retrieval (:00-1:00 Swashers), general technicalities check (both), soundstage depth/dynamics/layering/separation (:00-:30 Bubbles))

The Speedwalker (Live at Madison Square Garden) - The Fearless Flyers (For bass elements, particularly sub-bass/mid-bass interplay, drum kits, soundstage/layering)

DISINTER MY HEART - TRAILS (For treble response and resolution, male vocals, midrange response)

Savior - Rise Against (For rock bass elements, male vocals, layering and imaging, treble clarity :38-1:30)

When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola (For Imaging/detail retrieval :00-:07, tonality, timbre, male/female vocal interplay)

Fundamental Elements of Madness - Dax Johnson (For soundstage width 1:10-1:26, piano tonality)

Holding On (Rome In Silver Remix) - Dabin (For female vocals, tonality, mid-bass response within mix From 1:12-1:36)

1 Thing - Sophie Powers (For sibilance, harshness/shoutiness, high volume listening check 1:28-2:01

*Wire & Guns - KID DAD (For general tonality (warmth vs. brightness) and note weight :10-35, for high volume listening 1:34-2:08)

THE SOUND

I Can’t Help That I Feel Myself, Yes I Guess I’m a Fan; When Everything You’re Looking For is Right Here Where I Stand, Yeah
YES MOM - Tessa Violet
(IEM Tuning Style:Earbud)

The first thing that has to happen when I switch back to my earbuds, after a while on IEMs only, is that I have to readjust to the bass profile. Because we all know: Buds cannot bass in the way IEMs can. This also means I have to grade earbud bass on a different scale/curve than I do IEM bass; particularly where quantity is a factor in the sub-bass region. Earbuds will never be as satisfying in that way, but the RW-3000 is good enough for an earbud. It has more quantity than most Rikubuds I actually gravitate to (Grand Rider 1, Grand Alter Saber 3 for example). The 3000s are better in the midbass though, a tight emphasis, but enough quantity to not be lacking. If I put TGXear buds on one end of the spectrum where Serratus and Ripples carry more bass emphasis than GR1 or GAS3, then YW-3000 would be between the two, leaning a little more towards TGXear-level of emphasis.

The midrange on the 3000s is a freaking winner. The amount of meat on the lower midrange gives a very warm presentation, but I don’t find any kind of actual bleed. Tonality is balanced, thanks to that warmth and they are pleasantly not too bright. Vocals have very nice timbre: Male vocals aren’t sacrificed to get great female vocals. Also, they are well positioned because the 3000s don’t feel a need to push them overly forward, nor are they left too recessed. They have an easy clarity but they aren’t overpowering the instrumentation. I’m very satisfied with this presentation.

Speaking of that clarity, there is a strong treble performance on this set. Resolution and clarity on the highs is standout, almost in an effortless way. There is no need to overly boost the treble, to fake the performance level. These do the job on their own accord. I don’t feel any fatigue, harshness, or sibilance coming off of the 3000s. In terms of technicalities and soundstage, I’d say that the 3000s are high level but they get eclipsed by the elite sets. The layering and separation are awesome but the dynamic range doesn’t match top sets like Ripples or GAS 3 (we’ll get to that later). When it comes to soundstage, the 3000s don’t reach the heights of a set like Serratus, but they are on par with the level of a Ripples/GAS3. That is to say great, but not at the tippy top of the mountain.

THE GOOD

• Warm tone/timbre, highly desirable bass-to-low mids emphasis
  • High resolution level in the treble
  • Preferential vocal playback to my taste

THE BAD

• Soundstage and technicalities are very good but not TOTL for buds pricing
  • Could be a touch bright/hot if you’re sensitive in the upper-mids/treble
  • My ears are a little fickle with MMCX bud fit
    • Not as bad as Bell Serratus though

WHO IS THIS SET FOR?

• Someone who wants a non-DIY bud that can push TOTL quality
  • Someone who wants a middle ground on the best TGXear and the best Rikubuds sets
  • A person looking for a very well-rounded earbud with a little extra gas in the upper end

WHO IS THIS SET NOT FOR?

• Someone who likes the value proposition of a good DIY bud like Rikubuds

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Yincrow RW-3000 is a top-shelf earbud. It probably falls a little short of the sets that hit the absolute apex: Serratus probably brings a little more bombast; Ripples is more of a dynamo in dynamics; Grand Rider 1 is the stage Queen. To call the 3000s a Jack-of-All-Trades, master of none, is selling it short. But that kinda is where it is. The 3000s are able to be good at most anything you really want from an earbud, without having a category they kill for me. They’re bassy enough to handle a song like Not An Angel by Tems. I find it more than competent at vocals, I very much like the treble, and think it’s got better than good technicalities and soundstage but it is just short of the elite. That’s an extremely good earbud, in the end. Outside of my struggle with the earpieces myself, I don’t see any reason to downgrade it either. It’s an earbud that fits me better than Alpha, so in the end it was a successful trade. I’m gonna hold this set for quite a while. And that’s going to be it for this review. Enjoy your days, and take care till next time!

Rank for Yincrow RW-3000: A
Rank With Personal Bias: A
Recommendation Level: Highly Recommended (Earbud)
Rank As a Food: Chili

6 Likes

Thanks for an earbud review! Hope you get to review more in the future :slight_smile:

P.S. I believe it’s Yincrow RW-3000, not YW

3 Likes

Was fortunate to pick up a pre-auditioned Pula PA02 from a forum member for an amazing price, (it just didn’t jive with his preferences).

My journey is now complete, lol.

6 Likes

Would everybody like a 1DD Rumble or a Rikubuds Retrospective next out of me?

Because I have a lot of gear and some options lol

5 Likes

What’s that?

Me having a bunch of 1DD sets to compare, all at once

4 Likes

To clarify, I will do both, the 1DD roundup and a compare of the current Rikubuds Gen 3 sets. It’s just what do y’all want first?

Me talking about:

• BQEYZ Wind
  • Orivetti OD200
  • Dunu Falcon Ultra
  • A special contender who came out of nowhere

So basically all the current hotnesses except EA1000, who is out on loan

Or:

• Saber 3
  • Alter Rider 3
  • Grand Alter Saber 3
  • With a special compare to a well regarded commercial bud

Just curious what people want first