Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

In my experience, I find that the ST-Amp helps squeeze the last bit of juice out of your chain.

I primarily use it as the amp, connected in balanced to my Hifiman EF500 (rather than using the EF500s amp), running off a WiiM pro plus. Sometimes I run the WiiM SE into the St-Amp. In both cases, I find them to sound a little cleaner, with a little bit better background. There’s not a seismic, life-altering change. It’s just enough there that I’m like “I just like listening through this better.” Ask @domq422 and he’ll tell you he was not impressed like me. Ask @Sonofholhorse and he’s somewhere in between.

Different strokes and folks

5 Likes

eloquence objectivity and impartial as ever. what a take…no wonder i am addicted to your posts.

1 Like

Yeah, the STamp wasn’t for me or at least I didn’t hear an improvement over my previous set up. But I do want to note that it could just be the fact that my DAC isn’t up to the task, I’ve heard the amp inside the STamp does well when it’s fed a balanced signal and the D10s doesn’t have balanced output.

4 Likes

You may be happy to know that I took TSMR-X with me today and we’re on the right side of picky today.

The more I try to turn up the volume, the more I struggle with the balance of sound with X. Today, I’m comfortably at mid-volume and they’re cooking a little.

I haven’t quit on them, though

6 Likes

Yeah, I generally listen at pretty low volumes (about 11 mV from Quedelix 5k for the TSMR X, if that tells you anything :sweat_smile: ), and like the tuning on 010.

That’s a very V shaped IEM. Absolutely not for loud listening.

If it’s bothering you because you feel like you can’t turn it up, maybe it’s not the right set for you?

I discovered quite late that my preference is for loud listening, I find it gives me the most realistic and immersive experience of the IEM allows for it.

This preference necessitates gentle treble roll-off and not too much bass. Hearing becomes more sensitive to frequency extremes as you up the volume, so at some point it sort of evens out.

4 Likes

Everything you say is true.

It may not be my set but I want to appreciate what it does, so I can let the person who it might be their set why it is.

I can be flexible overall; I don’t need to listen to all sets the same way. I just have to find the TSMRs vibe

3 Likes

I dunno if this is how u can calculate it.

would be 84db peak volume, so perhaps 64db average (+20db headroom).

2 Likes

Sounds about right, i’d guess around 70db avg.

1 Like

Tansio Mirai 10th Anniversary Limited Edition or How Do We Brave the New World Order?

Well now, even though my IEM world has been turned upside down by hearing the Estrella, the wheel keeps turning and we move onward. After a many months sojourn and odyssey, two IEMs I made a swap deal for arrived at my door. The first up is the TSMR-X a $399 2+4 hybrid. Lets talk about a solid mid-tier IEM and why you might want it.

Songs to Listen to and Follow Along:

As usual, I’m going to write my thoughts in generalities, but I’ll give you a sample of songs that I listen to, that will relate to the concepts I write about. Feel free to ask for specifics, if you don’t keep up with my thought processes.

Playlist

Swashers/Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa (For imaging/detail retrieval (:00-1:00 Swashers), general technicalities check (both), soundstage depth/dynamics/layering/separation (:00-:30 Bubbles))

The Speedwalker (Live at Madison Square Garden) - The Fearless Flyers (For bass elements, particularly sub-bass/mid-bass interplay, drum kits, soundstage/layering)

DISINTER MY HEART - TRAILS (For treble response and resolution, male vocals, midrange response)

Savior - Rise Against (For rock bass elements, male vocals, layering and imaging, treble clarity :38-1:30)

When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola (For Imaging/detail retrieval :00-:07, tonality, timbre, male/female vocal interplay)

Fundamental Elements of Madness - Dax Johnson (For soundstage width 1:10-1:26, piano tonality)

Purple Hat - Sofi Tukker (For vocal separation :40-:47, tonality, male vs. female vocal tonality throughout, sub-bass versus midbass response within mix 1:11-1:32, resolution check 1:11-1:42)

1 Thing - Sophie Powers (For sibilance, harshness/shoutiness, high volume listening check 1:28-2:01)

Wire & Guns - KID DAD (For general tonality (warmth vs. brightness) and note weight :10-:35, for high volume listening 1:34-2:08)

Dusty Blue - Charles Bradley (For soundstage width, imaging and layering :11-:45)

Hide & Seek (Rema remix) - Stormzy (For sub-bass check throughout)

Resynthesis 3D (Binaural Version - Headphones only) - Max Cooper (For bass elements, imaging/layering elements throughout)

THE SOUND

Ooh I’m sorry, sorry that you love me; Change my mind up like it’s origami
Exes - Tate McRae
(IEM Tuning Style: Bass-Tuck (Full-Harman) Style (123 Setting))

The TSMR-X is absolutely a Harman-style IEM, in the truest sense of the word. It comes with 3 switches that alter the bass level and tilt of frequency. You can get a big bass presence that can warm up the sound or you can really lean it out and get a more upper-midrange focused sound. I found the latter to be too shrill and harsh for my tastes so I opted to use the bass settings. I found the sound I got with all the switches up (123 setting) to be my preference so all thoughts will be based on that setup.

Make no mistake about the bass, it’s all about the subs over the mids. When it’s there you can get deep, driving bass and pretty good rumble overall. There is almost enough quantity of midbass but it is not a great quality. The bass, as a whole, is good bordering on very good but my preference leaves me wanting a bit.

The lower midrange does carry good body, though, from the bass. There have been many times that sets going for this bass tuck have been too shrill or harsh. Sets like the Khan and Zero were non-starters for me because of the lack of true weight to the sound. TSMR-X doesn’t make that mistake and gives proper body to everything. It is still open with space from the bass but it is presented acceptably to my preference. The upper midrange is a mixed bag: At low-to-mid volumes, vocals and harmonics are presented with good energy and add good dynamics to the sound. It isn’t too dry, nor too overwhelmed by the bass. At higher volume, the upper mids become too much and are harsh and unenjoyable. If you are a high volume listener, these do not scale, full stop. The treble is mostly nondescript; it is there and does provide good resolution but it is not top of the line or more than class-average.

The soundstage is enough, although unremarkable: It’s wide enough, and has a little depth but it isn’t a standout in any significant way. The technicalities have more going for them, to me. TSMR-X produces good dynamic range. Bass hits are satisfying and the difference between loud/soft, thin/heavy comes across very well when playing a song like Bubbles. Layering and separation, as well as imaging are fine but do not hold a candle to a heavy hitter like Estrella.

THE GOOD

• Harman target tuning done right for my preference
  • Big sub-bass quantity (if you’re looking for it)
  • Warm, meaty lower midrange
  • Inoffensive at low-to-mid volumes

THE BAD

• Lacks midbass quantity/quality if that matters
  • Big sub-bass quantity (if that’s not your thing)
  • Upper-mids are way too much at high volume

WHO IS THIS SET FOR?

• Someone who wants an inoffensive IEM for mid-volume or lower listening
  • Someone who wants a high amplitude, sub-bass focused presentation
  • Those who want a Harman-style tuned IEM but haven’t found their one

WHO IS THIS SET NOT FOR?

• The anti-Harman crowd
  • Anyone who prefers midbass over sub-bass and cannot sacrifice the former
  • The people who want a daring IEM that takes risks
  • High-volume listeners

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

What it means is that TSMR-X is a good IEM. I wouldn’t really call it a basshead IEM, as some have described it, but there are times where that description makes sense, when a song drops deep because you can get rattled by the bass. It’s a better presentation of Harman-style tuning than most I’ve heard that try it, but it may still not be the set that converts you if you’re a Harman-skeptic. The times I’ve tried to turn the volume high I’ve almost wanted to throw them out the window, but when I let them be what they are, on my best desktop gear, they make an audio argument to stick around long-term. But for me personally, I can’t get all the way past those moments when they’re too hot, too intense. There are too many IEMs out there for me to have to play it that safe, but I cannot argue that these don’t have merit. It’s just when they get a little too spicy, I have to be more careful with them than I’d want to have to be. I can’t say that you might not like that heat if you give them a shot, though. And that’s going to be it for this review. Enjoy your days, and take care till next time!

Rank for Tansio Mirai 10th Anniversary Limited Edition: B
Rank With Personal Bias: B
Recommendation Level: Lukewarm Recommendation Relative to Other Options (Bass Tuck (Full-Harman) Style
Rank As a Food: Unseeded Jalapeño

17 Likes

Another banger review with another ridiculously accurate, I assume, food reference. The train keeps-a-rollin’ all night long… Thanks for sharing, brother.

3 Likes

You’ll get to judge for yourself. Imma leave them with you when I get you your Monas back

3 Likes

My body is ready, goobs!

Daft Punk GIFs | Tenor

2 Likes

We shall see, player

2 Likes

I skipped this one, I might grab it at some point just for funsies

1 Like

I haven’t tried that many sets but TSMR X is the only one amongst them where bass guitar sounds like bass guitar here after 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzYQN0r4Pgs
I would say it’s the vents.

1 Like

Man, with 123 you’re really blasting it :exploding_head: I find the bass easily gets bloated with anything more than 020, and 123 is the absolute maximum bass setting.

Can’t get around the recessed male vocals though, no matter the switches. Still, it’s a tuning I really enjoy with great punch in the bass.

Nice write up :star_struck:

1 Like

Remember, I’m actually not blasting it, because I’m keeping the volume down. I find every setting with the 1 switch down to be fatiguing. The bass helps body up the sound for me

3 Likes

ISN Neo 3 or Entering the State of Contentment and Accepting My Zen

Every so often I like to think I’ve hit a level of content in the hobby; that I have good IEMs, good sources, and hit all of my potential moods and use cases, so I’m good. But even when I’m content I can’t help trying out new gear. I’m not immune to the dopamine rush of trying out new stuff. But I am fighting the urges to just pile on new stuff for the sake of new things. I did get a chance to make a swap trade recently, bringing in the TSMR-X and the ISN Neo 3 which are IEMs from two companies I hadn’t tried out much from before. Being in the Penon family (ISN is operated by Penon and Tansio Mirai is a Penon exclusive brand now), there have been reasons for not pursuing them but a chance to trial them out felt too good to pass up in this case. And I’m really glad I did it because this time I really might be hitting my level of content. Let’s talk about it.

Songs to Listen to and Follow Along:

As usual, I’m going to write my thoughts in generalities, but I’ll give you a sample of songs that I listen to, that will relate to the concepts I write about. Feel free to ask for specifics, if you don’t keep up with my thought processes.

Playlist

Swashers/Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa (For imaging/detail retrieval (:00-1:00 Swashers), general technicalities check (both), soundstage depth/dynamics/layering/separation (:00-:30 Bubbles))

The Speedwalker (Live at Madison Square Garden) - The Fearless Flyers (For bass elements, particularly sub-bass/mid-bass interplay, drum kits, soundstage/layering)

DISINTER MY HEART - TRAILS (For treble response and resolution, male vocals, midrange response)

Savior - Rise Against (For rock bass elements, male vocals, layering and imaging, treble clarity :38-1:30)

When I Fall (Outta Love) - Kevin Olusola (For Imaging/detail retrieval :00-:07, tonality, timbre, male/female vocal interplay)

Fundamental Elements of Madness - Dax Johnson (For soundstage width 1:10-1:26, piano tonality)

Purple Hat - Sofi Tukker (For vocal separation :40-:47, tonality, male vs. female vocal tonality throughout, sub-bass versus midbass response within mix 1:11-1:32, resolution check 1:11-1:42)

1 Thing - Sophie Powers (For sibilance, harshness/shoutiness, high volume listening check 1:28-2:01)

Wire & Guns - KID DAD (For general tonality (warmth vs. brightness) and note weight :10-:35, for high volume listening 1:34-2:08)

Dusty Blue - Charles Bradley (For soundstage width, imaging and layering :11-:45)

Hide & Seek (Rema remix) - Stormzy (For sub-bass check throughout)

Resynthesis 3D (Binaural Version - Headphones only) - Max Cooper (For bass elements, imaging/layering elements throughout)

THE SOUND

I decide what I devour, I enjoy what gives me power; If you want some, be my guest; I get off, you get out, I eat bread
Bread - Sofi Tukker
(IEM Tuning Style: Warm-Neutral)

So the ISN Neo 3 is about as warm-neutral as it gets. There’s bass elevation but it’s mostly in the midbass; there’s a little roll off of the early bass, and a little bleed into the mids but most of the bass is firmly from like 60-150Hz…just smack in the meat of the midbass. That is about perfectly ideal for me, for a bass replay, but if you’re a deep sub-over-mid kind of bass lover, this might not do it for you.

The mids have great warmth and body to me, but if you want the pristine lower-midrange of a Studio 4/Pilgrim type of tuning this will have too much bleed for your tastes. But if you find that tuning too thin or wispy, then Neo 3 has that meaty midrange that Penon is credited with emphasizing. The upper midrange carries good energy but is smoothed out in the 2-4Khz range. They don’t overdo the energy but step the vocals forward and give them presence. To my ear, there’s a little cut in the early treble to keep Neo 3 from being harsh but there’s some emphasis after that to give me my ideal treble playback. They are extremely clean with great clarity for my ear. That might mean there’s too much energy in it for others but I wouldn’t change a thing.

The soundstage is fairly sized. It’s not gigantic but it’s rather accurate to the track you’re playing. I never feel closed in, there’s very good width and good depth. I feel imaging and layering/separation are extremely good for $200. These have technicalities on par with Kinera PhoenixCall for me, where you can pick up details if you want to, and you can get pinpoint imaging with some of the swirlies and a TOUCH of the sparkles. The benefit of Neo 3 is doing all that without having to play fast and loose with the frequencies to engineer it. Another example would be with Simgot EA1000, which has fantastic technicalities but definitely has too much energy in the upper mids/treble for many. Unlike them, Neo 3 doesn’t need tuning tricks to step its game up, it just takes its 2DD and planar driver and steps on necks.

THE GOOD

• Awesome technicalities and coherence for driver configuration
    • Really good imaging/separation
    • Some of the best clarity/resolution up to $200
  • Warm tuning reminiscent of Oriolus Isabellae
  • Very good midbass/lower midrange emphasis
  • Superb tonality/timbre for my tastes

THE BAD

• Could be too energetic if sensitive to mid-treble
  • Sub-bass will not satisfy people who prefer it
  • Upper-midrange may not be some’s ideal
    • Energy level might be a little subdued overall
    • Vocals might be a little forward for some at the same time

WHO IS THIS SET FOR?

• Midbass rakes
  • Someone looking for a balanced all-rounder

WHO IS THIS SET NOT FOR?

• Purely midcentric/vocal-centric listeners
  • Sub-bass over midbass aficionados
  • Anyone who doesn’t like/support Penon and won’t even touch them secondhand

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Oh it means I’m all-in on Neo 3. The last time I was meaning to write this up, I put on a vocal jazz playlist and got lost for 2-3 hours. I wasn’t bothered with writing because I just wanted to listen more. I think they are a little brother to Jay’s Estrella: They don’t do the bombast of the Estrella bass or the ethereal treble, but in the meat of the middle I’d put one up next to the other and say you could be good if you can’t get up to $300. If you can, you’re going to get that little bit more and I think for that premium, it’s worth it. If it were $700 like Pilgrim Noir, I’d probably have a different tune.

But to the point, this is a really compelling IEM to me. And is an easy EDC-level IEM for me. I’m going to be a little sad to share this with my tour group, because they’re fantastic for my tastes. I am not always a fan of giving Penon credit but when it’s due, it’s due. Penon/ISN really slapped with this set; they laid down a set that is like good comfort food that tastes delicious going down and then you keep thinking about it and anticipating the next serving. Then you nibble on it some more and then get up at 2:00am for a snack. And then you throw it on a sandwich for lunch the next day. So I’ll tip my cap cause they got me. And that’s going to be it for this review. Enjoy your days, and take care till next time!

Rank for ISN Neo 3: B+
Rank With Personal Bias: A
Recommendation Level: Highly Recommended (Warm-Neutral)
Rank As a Food: Meatloaf

17 Likes

I just got CHATGPT’d Y’all!!!

WHAT IS THIS!?!? :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

4 Likes