Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from

1 Like

God damn, is NTR (No Theme Reviews) not my cup of tea.

The dry narration feels so forced, unnatural, and scripted. Feels like one of those TV shows that have the narrator with the same narration style every episodeā€¦ Unbearable (imo).

2 Likes

Crinacle is has the most entertaining videos. I donā€™t care. Debate me. This guy is pure comedy and I love it!

6 Likes

This dude(Nemo Propaganda) seems pretty knowledgeable . Watched his SB-1000 pro review and actually managed to watch it until the end, which is rare for me with sub reviews.

1 Like
3 Likes

Agreed :smiley: thatā€™s why I liked Passion for Sounds review of the Mest II which I posted on the Mest thread :+1:

2 Likes

What has he done that you would consider snake oil? Are you an ASR pure measurements guy because if youā€™re an Amir disciple I already know how this is going to go.

People got upset because he was reviewing cables and saying they made big differences to the sound. AFAIK thatā€™s the main bone of contention.

2 Likes

Are we talking about the Audioholics guy above? If we are I personally donā€™t see what he did or said that was so bad! ā€œMagicā€ cables are a hot topic, I know, and people will have strong opinions on that. But this guy simply drug out some premium cables and some not-so-premium stuff, measured them and produced his findings. Perhaps we are referring to someone else?

I was referring to the person who said Passion for Sound was a Passion for Snakeoil. He seems to have deleted his comment.

2 Likes

Oh, OK, gotcha! LOL! I kinda like Pasion for Sound. So far I have taken no exception to any of his work.

2 Likes

Nah buddy folks have deleted postsā€¦ @Eric_Rosenfield was referring to Passion for Soundā€¦I moved over a thread from the 7hz Timeless thread as it got a bit reviewer skewed :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Copy that. I was scratching my head there for a minute! Thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

Yeah i did delete my joke!

1 Like

Currawong just posted a sponsored ā€œreviewā€ of the Headamp GS-X Mini, sponsored by Headamp. And he says in the beginning of the video ā€œthis may seem like a conflict of interestā€. Yes, yes it does.

Sorry man, if someoneā€™s paying you to review something, itā€™s not a review itā€™s an advertisement.

2 Likes

Most ā€œtopā€ reviewers have access to ā€œsamplesā€ like Resolve and Headphones.com etcā€¦thisā€™s not unusualā€¦as long as they make that transparent then itā€™s cool.

2 Likes

I really feel like thereā€™s a difference between getting a review copy from a manufacturer and the manufacturer paying for the review. Review copies are common for reviewers of all kinds and traditional in media. Being paid for a review is just making an ad for them.

9 Likes

I have to agree here. Kinda takes the objectivity out of it, IMO.

ā€œHe speaks the language of a warrior
He mounts his misinformed attack
He wears the clothes of a dissenter
But thereā€™s a logo on his backā€¦ā€

Just sayin!

1 Like

I think itā€™s fair as long as heā€™s disclosing it at the beginning. Currawong is pretty fair / solid reviewer most of the time and doesnā€™t go way overboard on the hyperbole or poetry that someone like Z does sometime. I do agree that the funding mechanism places a bias upon the review but if you know that at the onset of the review you can parse the straight forward takes from the colorā€™d takes.

2 Likes