Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from

I really enjoy The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel. Seems like a great guy & he comes off like a true professional. No headphones there (DACS, Streamers, Amps, etc), but I really enjoy the way he breaks things down.

2 Likes

Anyone watching Metal571’s recent reviews should be aware that he has gradually migrated from preferring relatively neutral headphones to being obsessive about relaxed upper mids.

Zeos once said that Metal571 listens to music louder than anyone else he knows. Who knows how true that is. But thanks to the Fletcher-Munson AKA equal loudness research, we know that what seems like a reasonable upper mid or treble peak to someone who listens at sensible loudness levels will be piercing to someone who listens at jackhammer levels.

IAC, Metal now considers his reference HD 650 (not HD 600) as having too high an upper-mids peak. He bought and uses an LCD-2 as his daily driver. He does make some effort to be objective, but his distaste for even “normal” upper mids keeps shining through.

4 Likes

The guy is very knowledgable. If you’re looking for entertainment look somewhere else but when it comes to nitty gritty details he knows what he’s talking about.

2 Likes

If I have to pick one good one, that would be MajorHifi. The only reviewer among many that I’ve seen (quite many!) that describes how things sound very clearly and in great details.

2 Likes

No eq for this one lol (allegedly)

2 Likes

4 Likes

he gave it quite the glowing review, didn’t he.

1 Like

That’s because Harman Target! It’s close to the Harman Target! Harman Target!

4 Likes

1 Like

I will have to buy them…except they’re restricted to the US right now. no stores that ship into Canada will ship into Canada. will have to compare them against my HP-50’s and Blon B8’s (once I get the B8’s).

They are pretty good closed headphones for the price, so I do agree with his review, but I don’t think they will appeal to everyone

they will appeal to most people though…as I doubt they would have spent all the money and time to develop the curve if it had no audience. sound is subjective, but there will still be a generalization or stereotype (HAH!) that suits the vast majority as a baseline.

Amazed that you’ve heard them already. Did you hear the upper-mids peak as neutral like HD 600s or neutral like HD 650s or reduced even from that?

My guess is that that to the degree that any of the Harman targets are neutral all that means for sales is that they’re like some hypothetical Mom’s home cooking. Nutritious with decent flavour. Suspect most people will choose exciting over good-for-you. How many people have enough sense to get it that exciting sound flavours make as many things sound bad as they make other things sound good?

What could work in their favour over the long term is if musicians and audio pros start recommending them, as happened with the M50 and M50x.

I got to hear them from a friend who got a few pairs for his studio. I would say they are more like the 650 but a bit warmer, and with more extended bass and treble

I’ve been enjoying this guy’s reviews lately :+1:

3 Likes

He’s kinda controversial to some lol

I bet lol…and bet again for 20 characters

1 Like

ANA[DIA]LOG is very annoying. His camera is set so he is looking down at you when he is speaking. Anyone agree?

Outside the Youtube space, one sight that’s been really bugging me more and more (due to their prevalence in Film/TV community and audio) is RTINGS which is the driest, most utilitarian view of hardware I’ve ever seen.
Literally every high end headphone gets a bad review from them because of dumb complaints like WHERE’S THE BLUETOOTH, CAN I TAKE THIS ON A BUS. It’s no wonder why their highest rated headphones are bluetooth Bose and Sonys.
They also spend a lot of time advocating for soundbars which I’m like… eh.

2 Likes

I kinda agree since imo their final actual ratings they give are pretty much useless and unhelpful ratings. That being said, the actual objective info they provide like specs, measurements, and other info that can’t really be argued with can be helpful

1 Like