Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from

You’re probably right. But I also contend that the “average consumer” puts in about 1/100th of the research before a purchase than us audiophiles. We’re wired – and weird. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always wear my 7hZ Salnotes Zero with the wire behind my head, like a drummer, because the separate wires are so short after the Y junction in the cable. Behind the head is the only way they’ll fit me.

Weird at first, but I got used to it.

1 Like

This gave me a proper laugh - thank you for this :rofl:

I wear my iems cable behind when in bed: it avoids me being strangled by the cable when I fall asleep on them.

1 Like

Not the worst way of dying though! :smile:

Zeos and DMS get a shout out…

4 Likes

Hopefully this is changing, or maybe they just have a low opinion of me :rofl:

That is their MTPro planar IEM in Deep Purple (I’ve switched to Spinfit tips since this photo was taken). I’m winding down the review efforts and will be filming soon I think. Stay tuned!

I 'spose soon I should make them their own proper thread too…

1 Like

@WaveTheory Considering Meze 109 pro too. Soon?

Apos has promised a review unit. There was an issue with the first one they wanted to send me. When another becomes available it should be sent here.

4 Likes

Just found this tiny reviews channel: NyVo Reviews

I like the focus and the density of usable information wrt. source pairing and also comparisons to similar models. I just found out new things from his review that I hadn’t heard from much larger channels, e.g. that the Ed.XS already sounds impressive out of an Apple dongle.

5 Likes

Favorites are Thomas and Stereo, New Record Day, Jay’s Iyagi, Steve Gutenberg, GoldenSound, Cheapaudioman.

I watch Z mostly for the entertainment value.

Darko has quality reviews to but I find his pretentious voice difficult to endure.

He’s not a reviewer but I always watch Paul McGowan’s videos because he’s just a sweet old man with such enthusiasm for audio.

3 Likes

I have a lot of respect for Precogvision, he is one of the few genuine IEM reviewers around.

Also like Super Reviews, Crinacle, Gizaudio, HBB, RikudouGoku, baskingshark and nymz.

I’d avoid dsnuts, redcarmoose , Audiophile Heaven, audio123 and headfonia.

You know shills by their scores, anyone who hands 4 and 5/5s like candy is a salesman.

7 Likes

Check better in the Penon thread, because there are other promoters that are working for Penon/ISN. Look at users that are spending all the day posting photos of Penon(both iems and cables)/ISN/Sound Rhyme/Aur Audio. You can see that they are shilling all the days on those brands. They are literally working for those brands. Those users are not trustable. And one of them is pasting his reviews here too (pasting link to the head-fi reviews).

Love Currawong’s review. I feel like I learn something from his amp reviews. His deadpan opening always cracks me up.

I also like amp and source review by GoldenSound.

Even though (or maybe because) I review IEMs, I don’t usually watch IEM reviews. I like the IEM review of the older gentleman who sometimes appear on GizAudio. He used to talk about IEM actually work in professional settings (on stage).

Making audio review video is hard. When I translate my written review into video format, it’s 45 minutes, which even I feel bored. When I cut for entertainment, I feel like all the necessary details are lost.

2 Likes

Yep I’ve learnt a lot from Amos too :+1:

2 Likes

Excited discovery today… Damir Franc was always one of my favorite tech reviewers, I just noticed he does IEMs now… maybe has for a while!

Damir Franc - YouTube

I’m excited to catch up on a few and see where his preferences lie. I might leave it running in the background while I grade to help revitalize my German comprehension. He does remake some videos in English too though.

1 Like