Good read about an audio journey

I stumbled upon the article today at work from Harper’s Magazine. It is about a guy and his wife during the pandemic who listened to music off of a blue tooth speaker. He became curious about audio gear…It is a pretty good journey to read about…

-Mods if external links aren’t permitted feel free to delete this thread…I just thought it was a really good story and a lot of the members here would be interested in it.

2 Likes

Weird, the first time I tried to access the page I ran into an issue where they wanted me to log in or create an account etc. Late yesterday afternoon I tried again and it produced the page! Turned out to be a good read, though I have to admit I came out of it wanting more.

I would love it if there were a place near me where I could go, listen to a crackin’ high-end system and some good tunes. And a good cup of coffee while I’m there. For me, I would love to just get myself in front of a higher end system, period, just so I could actually hear what a system of that caliber sounded like. That is kinda where I am at in my own audio journey. I’m at that point where I need proof that the next tier of gear that I might want to buy is gonna be worth that over-inflated price tag. Just because something costs more, that doesn’t mean it’s automatically better. So we’ll see what happens down the road.

4 Likes

Thats why I wish there were more places around like Zeppelin & Co. We dont ev3n have decent cofee shops where i live. I’d love to create a cafe centered on audiophiles and exploring gear during the day with live music at night. I pitched the idea to a friend who reminded me of labor problems caused by the pandemic, the increasing cost of goods, and most people are happy with wireless headphones. The dream stays alive though!

3 Likes

I kind of felt the same way you did after reading it…I wish we had places like this around me also…I would say it is safe to assume most of would love a place like this to frequent. It would be awesome to sit down with a good cup of coffee and just get lost in the music from a high end system for a while…

The shop that hosts the headphone meets where I live is about 45 minutes away…The owner of the store is one of us…He has a good amount of high end gear at his store…He has 6 or 7 different rooms with different set ups…He encourages people to go sit and listen to different set ups in each room…He is definitely a music lover like the rest of us and wants people to have a chance to listen to the higher end gear.

4 Likes

That would be so cool. I would be there a lot. A nice 45 minute ride to the shop, hang out a while, check out the music du jour, geek out on the gear, discuss, debate, enjoy - and then a nice 45 minute ride home. Sounds like a great day to me. More than anything, the educational opportunities that would exist there alone would warrant the trip. Even a nice hi-fi shop with a demo/listening room would be great, but there aren’t any of those around, either. Technology, greed and the Internet have taken the joy out of many things.

3 Likes

I’ll tell ya, when I think about audio journeys, I can’t help but think about this gentleman

Now this is a journey! The thing that I respect about this is that even though it is an exercise in excess, this man rolled up his sleeves and designed, planned and built much of this with his own hands etc. He had a vision and he made it happen. Once one gets past the dollar and cents part of it, one can’t help but admire what it took to achieve.

2 Likes

I watched that a while back…It is a good watch…It is sad that Ken got ALS…

1 Like