šŸ”¶ Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

I use a sharpie. That is very common, I never know how it happens.

@MazeFrame @elira

I found some (sadly matte) black acrylic paint that looks fine unless it is in bright direct light. I tried a sharpie but it didnā€™t cover well. I made sure to clean the area with some rubbing alcohol before I painted it so it will hopfuly stick.

No more silver spots

But no more glossy black

5 Likes

This should work:

Testors EPM25-2547 1-(Pack), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CVNTL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UVoiFb209WEHG

1 Like
3 Likes

I concur. His music choices where not only great jokes, but also very well suited to this headphone. Black Sabbath sounds phenomenal on the Hemp.

I should be getting my Shipibo gimbals and rod blocks today, so Iā€™ll report on those later today.

Also thanks @ValentineLuke that paint pen worked perfectly.

1 Like

Initial impression of the Shipibo stuff. Itā€™s VERY nice. The ceramic coating feels great, none of the edges are sharp (unlike the stock plastic), and they look much nicer in my opinion. The installation is rather easy. The only thing that is at all difficult is lining up the holes in the headband with the screws in the rod blocks. I need to use them more to conferm if the comfort has been improved, but I suspect it has.

One thing I will note though. If you plan to take the cups off the headband, BE CAREFUL! As you can see, the plastic can break. Also it is impossible to put the headband back in the stock rod blocks, so there is no going back (not that you would ever want to).

As you can see, the slim set is considerabley thinner than the stock plastic, but feel much more sturdy. And like I said, they look great.

12 Likes

That looks like some quality hardware. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Update. After more than 2 hours of use and no ear pain at all. These are a requirement for anyone who owns $300+ Grados.

2 Likes

Do you get more swiveling or is it the same?

If by swivel you mean how much the cup can tilt in the gimbal, then it is about the same since its mostly the pad that interferes.

What these do way better than the stock parts is those two screws on the back of the rod block.
Those allow you to tighten or loosen the rotation and adjustment if the gimbals, and even lock them in place if you so desire.

Aslo the angle of the rod is a bit greater, which for me relieved pressure on the top parts of my ears.

5 Likes

Thanks! Seems like a nice upgrade, Iā€™ll get them to try.

2 Likes

These are just so good. I didnā€™t listen to them for a few days before I got the Shipibo gimbals and rod blocks, so I kind of ā€œforgotā€ how much I like them. Now that Iā€™ve been listening to them again for a few days there is no question of how good they are.

Also Gutenberg really nailed it with the Akale Wube. Ethiopian jazz sounds so good with these.

3 Likes

Just ordered these pretty excited. But as a heads up to anyone wanting to pick them I just got an email saying that they are having trouble keeping up with demand, so mine wonā€™t be shipping until sometime next week, however YMMV

7 Likes

They are getting very popular. I think they are amazing headphones.

3 Likes

My hope is that when the LTD Edition run is over the make these a normal model for like $450-$500. Basically this LTD run is for early adopters.

2 Likes

I bet they donā€™t do that thoughā€¦ thatā€™s not typically what they do, anyway. Maybe tweak it, give it slightly different name and sell it for a couple/few hundred more (!) ā€¦ but maybe not even that. Be interesting to see what they do with the hemp materials though. Andā€¦ I could be 100% wrong. Iā€™m not any more psychic with hemp than I am without it.

In any caseā€¦ totally do NOT need these right nowā€¦ and canā€™t really afford themā€¦ but ordered. I might forgive you guys eventually.

2 Likes

I ordered a pair of Hemps and some of the new Yaxi pads to try out with them. Will post some impressions of both when I get them and have some time with them. Never owned a Grado before but the FR graphs for the Hemp look pretty amazing and the reviews are very positive. Figured I better grab one before they are gone!

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious about the yaxi pads that purple is real nice.

1 Like

Can you link to or post a FR graph? Iā€™m curious if looks like what I think it does.

Thereā€™s a few graphs here mate :+1:

3 Likes