šŸ”¶ Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

These are just so good. I didnā€™t listen to them for a few days before I got the Shipibo gimbals and rod blocks, so I kind of ā€œforgotā€ how much I like them. Now that Iā€™ve been listening to them again for a few days there is no question of how good they are.

Also Gutenberg really nailed it with the Akale Wube. Ethiopian jazz sounds so good with these.

3 Likes

Just ordered these pretty excited. But as a heads up to anyone wanting to pick them I just got an email saying that they are having trouble keeping up with demand, so mine wonā€™t be shipping until sometime next week, however YMMV

7 Likes

They are getting very popular. I think they are amazing headphones.

3 Likes

My hope is that when the LTD Edition run is over the make these a normal model for like $450-$500. Basically this LTD run is for early adopters.

2 Likes

I bet they donā€™t do that thoughā€¦ thatā€™s not typically what they do, anyway. Maybe tweak it, give it slightly different name and sell it for a couple/few hundred more (!) ā€¦ but maybe not even that. Be interesting to see what they do with the hemp materials though. Andā€¦ I could be 100% wrong. Iā€™m not any more psychic with hemp than I am without it.

In any caseā€¦ totally do NOT need these right nowā€¦ and canā€™t really afford themā€¦ but ordered. I might forgive you guys eventually.

2 Likes

I ordered a pair of Hemps and some of the new Yaxi pads to try out with them. Will post some impressions of both when I get them and have some time with them. Never owned a Grado before but the FR graphs for the Hemp look pretty amazing and the reviews are very positive. Figured I better grab one before they are gone!

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious about the yaxi pads that purple is real nice.

1 Like

Can you link to or post a FR graph? Iā€™m curious if looks like what I think it does.

Thereā€™s a few graphs here mate :+1:

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ got these in due to the infernal influence of forum broā€™s. Only have had a couple hours with them, not much to add ā€” the bass is less rolled off than typical Grados but still not a ton of ā€œrumbleā€ or that slamming subbass that electronica folks like. Bass is very articulate for electric bass guitars and acoustic double bass though. Very ā€œliveā€ feel to these. They may be short of grunt for Massive Attack, ā€œAngelā€ and such; but have plenty for hard rock, bass guitar in Dinosaur Jr. ā€œStart Chopinā€™ā€ e.g. Treble is not harsh at all, so these indeed might have more appeal for people who formerly hate Grados. While not at all exaggerated, they still wonā€™t save you from high flutes or soprano sax though, if you need saving.

Comfort is fine with me. Nicer headband than most, and made of steel, meant to be bent. On ear is not a problem for me, personally, given the bendable headband. And theyā€™re so light.

They seem very detailed or ā€œresolvingā€ in the midrange at leastā€¦ so great for acoustic stringed instruments and for electric guitars and for saxophonesā€¦! I get every timbral shift and fingernail-on-string attack of classical guitar (Ben Verdery, Bachā€™s ā€œChaconneā€ for one). Still, I donā€™t hear congestion, even on something as dense as Henry Threadgill ā€œLittle Pocket Sized Demonsā€.

This is without much burn in, without much comparison to other headphones. (I did compare a bit with the HF3 but I am typing on my phone and wonā€™t go into itā€¦ exhausted already! I will say theyā€™re a little more to my liking across the board, but volume matching makes a hash of the comparisons really, anyway. These flat pads, presumably, make them much louder than the HF3, with consistent amp settings).

4 Likes

Listen to this album on them. Itā€™s quite possibly my favorite album for the Hemps.

1 Like

will do; I have a ton to listen to on them stillā€¦

I can totally see where some others (including pricier Grados, but also including others) have more immediate ā€œwowā€ if listening for technicalities, but already without much burn in (brain or headphone), these do make most of the music I have tried thoroughly engaging.

I like a lot of hard Rockā€¦ Robin Trower, some of the heavier Los Lobosā€¦ and think that stuff sounds amazing. But also solo classical guitar and string quartetsā€¦ like other Grados I have. Itā€™s a pretty divergent set of ā€œspecialtiesā€!

My problem is , now I need to hear RS2e, and some of the GS and GH series maybe. Itā€™s like cocaine. I hear.

1 Like

4bad4b

4 Likes

perfect, LOL.

Typing more, said I was too tired, but somehow too obsessedā€¦

I pretty much avoid as much as possible some of the larger headphone/audio forums. But I did go through a Grado thread on head-fi, lookong for more reviews. One gentleman there, screen name escapes me, was making a case for why he preferred the Hemps to all others, including Aryas he had. Timbre and liveliness and imaging over treble or bass extension, detail, or soundstageā€¦ basically, for his values.

He said it way more articulately but that was the basic idea. I could see his point (though I have not heard Aryasā€¦ but I have heard much more technically focused headphones. Love the Elex a lot , myself, for oneā€¦ and thats not even Arya tier. But I could see choosing Hemps for a lot of the listening anyway, even with both right next to each other for the choosing).

4 Likes

Iā€™m getting the purple yaxi pads tomorrow. Iā€™ll let you know how they sound and look on the Hemps.

4 Likes

Looking forward to that. :+1:t4:

Edit: I have more accurate thoughts on these pads a few posts down. I did some more testing and found this initial reaction to be inaccurate.

The yaxi Grado pads are a big NO for the Hemps. They muffle the sound and are not really any more comfortable than the stock F-cush pads. They are surprisingly scratchy when compared to the porta pro pads I also got (great upgrade for the porta pros btw) and not really any softer than the F-cush pads, although mine are well broken in, so this may not be totally accurate for new pads. The purple would look nice with the all black plastic models, but is not all that good looking with the hemp wood imo.

I also got some Geekria donut pads (left)

They sound fine but are much warmer than stock pads and also fit looser, so they shift around.

It seems that the stock F-cush pads are the best option, especially after they get good and broken in.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a bummer. Those look pretty sweet, but too bad they donā€™t work.

1 Like

Thatā€™s too bad, thanks for testing it though.

1 Like

They might work if you did the quarter mod to them (like the donut pads) but at that point you may as well stick with the stock F-cush. Maybe they will be more comfortable after some break in. I should get some SR-60e to see if they sound good with those, LoL.

2 Likes