🔶 Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

In general Grados need some headband bending to be comfortable.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of picking these up, but in that LTT video he mentions grattle. Does that still happen to Grados, because I have long hair and I don’t want to pay $400 for a headphone just to have to suck the hair out of it.

I’ve had mine for a few weeks and also have long hair. So far I have not noticed any hair getting stuck in the front or rear grills. Also, I feel like it takes a number of years for any gratle to develop, if it ever does.

Since this is all based on anecdotal evidence anyway, I’ve read way more “my 10/15/20 year old Grados still work great” stories than I’ve read “I have horrible gratle” stories. So if I where you I wouldn’t worry about that.

This is both good and bad news. I don’t have to worry about it now but on the other hand I now see 420 dollars disappearing from my next paycheck.

4 Likes

But you get a wonderful pair of headphones. Just succumb to the pier pressure already and buy these damnit.

You’ve convinced me I will buy a pair with the next check. I will report back when I receive them.

2 Likes

So a small but very annoying negative update. The paint on the grills can apparently be scratched off with nothing but my fingernail. I love these headphones Grado, but please use some better materials.

Also does anyone know of a good glossy black paint that works for metal that is not a spray?

7 Likes

Sounds like it was not degreased properly before painting.

Sharpie could be a good “temporary” fix.

For a proper paint job, you need to seperate the grill from the headphone, strip the paint, degrease, prime, paint, paint, clear coat.
I like Revel Enamel Paints as it works with almost any material.

1 Like

Sadly I don’t think that is possible without un-glueing the drivers. Thanks for the paint rec though.

1 Like

I use a sharpie. That is very common, I never know how it happens.

@MazeFrame @elira

I found some (sadly matte) black acrylic paint that looks fine unless it is in bright direct light. I tried a sharpie but it didn’t cover well. I made sure to clean the area with some rubbing alcohol before I painted it so it will hopfuly stick.

No more silver spots

But no more glossy black

5 Likes

This should work:

Testors EPM25-2547 1-(Pack), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CVNTL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UVoiFb209WEHG

1 Like
3 Likes

I concur. His music choices where not only great jokes, but also very well suited to this headphone. Black Sabbath sounds phenomenal on the Hemp.

I should be getting my Shipibo gimbals and rod blocks today, so I’ll report on those later today.

Also thanks @ValentineLuke that paint pen worked perfectly.

1 Like

Initial impression of the Shipibo stuff. It’s VERY nice. The ceramic coating feels great, none of the edges are sharp (unlike the stock plastic), and they look much nicer in my opinion. The installation is rather easy. The only thing that is at all difficult is lining up the holes in the headband with the screws in the rod blocks. I need to use them more to conferm if the comfort has been improved, but I suspect it has.

One thing I will note though. If you plan to take the cups off the headband, BE CAREFUL! As you can see, the plastic can break. Also it is impossible to put the headband back in the stock rod blocks, so there is no going back (not that you would ever want to).

As you can see, the slim set is considerabley thinner than the stock plastic, but feel much more sturdy. And like I said, they look great.

12 Likes

That looks like some quality hardware. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Update. After more than 2 hours of use and no ear pain at all. These are a requirement for anyone who owns $300+ Grados.

2 Likes

Do you get more swiveling or is it the same?

If by swivel you mean how much the cup can tilt in the gimbal, then it is about the same since its mostly the pad that interferes.

What these do way better than the stock parts is those two screws on the back of the rod block.
Those allow you to tighten or loosen the rotation and adjustment if the gimbals, and even lock them in place if you so desire.

Aslo the angle of the rod is a bit greater, which for me relieved pressure on the top parts of my ears.

5 Likes

Thanks! Seems like a nice upgrade, I’ll get them to try.

2 Likes