šŸ”¶ Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

will do; I have a ton to listen to on them stillā€¦

I can totally see where some others (including pricier Grados, but also including others) have more immediate ā€œwowā€ if listening for technicalities, but already without much burn in (brain or headphone), these do make most of the music I have tried thoroughly engaging.

I like a lot of hard Rockā€¦ Robin Trower, some of the heavier Los Lobosā€¦ and think that stuff sounds amazing. But also solo classical guitar and string quartetsā€¦ like other Grados I have. Itā€™s a pretty divergent set of ā€œspecialtiesā€!

My problem is , now I need to hear RS2e, and some of the GS and GH series maybe. Itā€™s like cocaine. I hear.

1 Like

4bad4b

4 Likes

perfect, LOL.

Typing more, said I was too tired, but somehow too obsessedā€¦

I pretty much avoid as much as possible some of the larger headphone/audio forums. But I did go through a Grado thread on head-fi, lookong for more reviews. One gentleman there, screen name escapes me, was making a case for why he preferred the Hemps to all others, including Aryas he had. Timbre and liveliness and imaging over treble or bass extension, detail, or soundstageā€¦ basically, for his values.

He said it way more articulately but that was the basic idea. I could see his point (though I have not heard Aryasā€¦ but I have heard much more technically focused headphones. Love the Elex a lot , myself, for oneā€¦ and thats not even Arya tier. But I could see choosing Hemps for a lot of the listening anyway, even with both right next to each other for the choosing).

4 Likes

Iā€™m getting the purple yaxi pads tomorrow. Iā€™ll let you know how they sound and look on the Hemps.

4 Likes

Looking forward to that. :+1:t4:

Edit: I have more accurate thoughts on these pads a few posts down. I did some more testing and found this initial reaction to be inaccurate.

The yaxi Grado pads are a big NO for the Hemps. They muffle the sound and are not really any more comfortable than the stock F-cush pads. They are surprisingly scratchy when compared to the porta pro pads I also got (great upgrade for the porta pros btw) and not really any softer than the F-cush pads, although mine are well broken in, so this may not be totally accurate for new pads. The purple would look nice with the all black plastic models, but is not all that good looking with the hemp wood imo.

I also got some Geekria donut pads (left)

They sound fine but are much warmer than stock pads and also fit looser, so they shift around.

It seems that the stock F-cush pads are the best option, especially after they get good and broken in.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a bummer. Those look pretty sweet, but too bad they donā€™t work.

1 Like

Thatā€™s too bad, thanks for testing it though.

1 Like

They might work if you did the quarter mod to them (like the donut pads) but at that point you may as well stick with the stock F-cush. Maybe they will be more comfortable after some break in. I should get some SR-60e to see if they sound good with those, LoL.

2 Likes

Also I might do some more testing just to see if the comfort actually does get better. The foam if a fair bit thicker than the F-cush pads, so if they get a bit softer and less scratchy then it could be worth it to cut a hole in the front of them and see how they sound.

2 Likes

What about TTVJ pads? There are some favorable reviews for it with the HF-3ā€™s. I donā€™t know how they sound with the hemps. Frankly, I should put my HF-3ā€™s up for sale one of these days since I am not too enamored with it. Not enough to try pad swapping.

1 Like

I am revising my previous statement on the Yaxi pads. They do not sound as bad as I first thought. They seem to lower the perceived volume quite a bit, which came across as a muffled sound, but once you turn up the volume to mach the F-cush pads, they are much more listenable.

I still do not totally recommend the Yaxi pads as they seem to ā€œfilterā€ the sound. The physical sensation of the sound that I love so much seems to be less, probably because there is foam in the way. Bass impact is less, sounds donā€™t have as much of a ā€œgrowlā€ to them, and everything is just a bit less fun overall. Any change to frequency response is minimal.

Iā€™m going to continue testing to see if comfort is any better for the Yaxi pads after some break in. If they are more comfortable, then I will try to do a quarter mod. The hole I will cut out will be the same as the F-cush pads instead of the size of a quarter though.

4 Likes

The F-cush pads are the same as the TTVJ pads as far as I know.

1 Like

How about these pads: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/

I had my eye on them for awhile, but I couldnā€™t pull the trigger since Iā€™m not really enamored by my Grado HF-3ā€™s.

1 Like

If I had to guess, they would probobly make the Hemps treble murder. Distence from the driver is not a good thing with these. Iā€™m also willing to bet the comfort would be fenominal though.

So the Yaxi pads are softer in terms of compression and no more or less scratchy then the stock F-cush pads. They are overall more comfortable. Tomorrow Iā€™m going to try to cut a clean hole in them to see if they can be made to sound like the F-cush pads.

I very much stand by what I said befor. The Yaxi pads seem to filter out a lot of the energy from the sound. Hopfuly with the material removed from the fromt of the driver this will no longer be an issue.

The purple really does looks terrible with the Hemps though. Every time I see it I just sigh at how bad it looks.

1 Like

I think I should mention with all this talk if pads and comfort, my ONLY comfort issue is entirely caused by the fact that I wear glasses. Without glasses, I was able to fall asleep while wearing these last night with stock pads.

For the people who are expecting these, give the stock pads a chance. They should be fine as long as you are ok with other on-ears.

1 Like

I just finished cutting the holes in the Yaxi pads. I still need to listen to them, so expect that later today.

It was rather easy to do. The hardest part was finding somthing the right size to cut around.

The hole on the stock F-cush pads is 40mm

I found this 32mm craftsman socket that has an outside diameter of 41mm.

A milk gallon cap could also work as a template.

This is everything I used.

Step 1: place the stock pad face down and place the socket in the opening like so.

Hopefully youā€™ll be able to pick up the whole thing like so.

Step 2: place the Yaxi pad face up and put the pad-socket on top, lineing up the edges of the pads so the socket is centered.

Step 3: press the socket down to hold it still and remove the F-cush pad, leaving you with this.

Step 4: press the socket down firmly and use the exacto-knife to cut out around the socket and make sure to keep the knife blade tight up against the socket.

This is what you should end up with.

10 Likes

After the quarter mod, the Yaxi pads seem to have much less of an impact on the impact of sounds. The foam in the way seems to have been at least mostly responsible for that. While the impact seems to be about the same (a touch less than the F-cush pads), the bass is less now. Also the overall sound is a bit less aggressive and a bit more open/wide. This is (I think) due to the increased distance the driver sits from the ear since the foam is thicker on the Yaxi pads. Even if it is a small change (2-3mm) it is still technically about a doubling of the distance when compared to the stock pads.

So in conclusion, the Yaxi pads are more comfortable, have a more open/wide stage, have less bass, and are less aggressive than the stock F-cush pads. Overall these are a good option if you dont mind trading some bass and intimacy for better comfort. Just make sure you do the quarter mod described above as it gets rid of the slight muffling effect.

Personally I will be sticking with the stock F-cush pads as the comfort is not really an issue and I prefer the way they sound.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome that you got to try the modded pads. Looking forward to further impressions from future buyers.

I know someone whoā€™s receiving a loaner pair this weekend. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll post his impressions here. :+1:t4: