šŸ”¶ Grado SR325x Prestige Series

This is the official thread for the Grado SR325x

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: On Ear
  • Amp needed: No but better with
  • Open Back

:red_circle: Grado Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviewsā€¦

1 Like
3 Likes

Finally, one of the more mainstream reviewers actually talks about the F-cush pads!

I really liked how he actually reached out to Grado about some of the more common complaints people bring up like the attached cable and the plastic rod blocks. I really wish Zeos would stop saying the rod blocks break because they just donā€™t. If you look at reports of long time Grado owners, the rod blocks are basically never the thing that breaks. It usually the cable or the gimbal. I can also say from personal experience that it takes a literal hammer and screwdriver to crack a rod block open, so I doubt you are going to break it by accident.

Overall great review and Iā€™m glad Grado is getting more mainstream positive press.

@DMS I love the new review format. If you feel it is worth the effort then please keep it up. I think you can fix the one twisted cable by just trying to spin the cable in the cup into the right orientation. Itā€™s not actually anchored to anything, thereā€™s just a zip tie or something to stop it from coming out, so it should be able to spin in the cup. Someone on head-fi had this problem and thatā€™s how they fixed it Also you should give the Earzonk L-cush pads a try if they are ever available on Amazon again. They fill out the treble dib that the F and S pads have without getting peaky like the Geekria G-cush pads. Another option is the Geekria LL pads. They are similar to the Earzonk pads but I think a bit more V-shaped in comparison but still less peaky than the Geekria G-cush pads.

1 Like

I impulse ordered these on Thursday after all the positive recent press Grado has been getting, so Iā€™m glad to see the review reaffirms they are staying on the same track. Iā€™ve tried a bunch of Grados in the past and they just werenā€™t for me. Iā€™m curious about the newer tuning though. I was tempted by the Hemps, but I never pulled the trigger. Not sure why these were the ones to make me dive in, but Iā€™m looking forward to giving them a try. @A_COC0NUT, your years of praise finally wore down my resolve. I say that mostly in jest, but in all seriousness you have been the biggest proponent of Grado on this forum, and Iā€™ve read just about all your posts on mods and pad swaps even when I had zero interest in owning a Grado. I didnā€™t have to wait for DMSā€™s video to know which pads to buy

3 Likes

I thought DMS did a great review on the 325X I purchased these as well. As I posted on his YouTube channel I totally agree pads totally tune this headphone. Iā€™m a huge fan of Beautiful Audio Grado pads. I have them on my RS1(small), GS1000(large), and my Hemps(large). The large pad which is their reimagining of the G pad. Itā€™s not a G pad itā€™s a complete retuning that they developed on a 325 and itā€™s an elevation acoustical as well as comfort. The small pad delivers comfort and a more focused sound stage. Iā€™ve been trying to decide which sound signature I prefer on the 325X and I may end up ordering both.

If you really want to stay with flat pads TTVJ Flat pads are more comfortable then Grado flats.

5 Likes

Hey could you do a quick comparison of these versus hemp? Iā€™m waiting to receive my hemp, wondering if I should sell the hemp to get these!

From what I can tell the TTVJ flats and Grado F-cush pads are the same. I got the ā€œdeluxeā€ version from TTVJ so maybe the normal ones are more different. I am interested in the beautiful audio pads, but they are a bit expensive for just curiosity.

@Kate_Ang from what Iā€™ve seen on head-fi the Hemps and the SR325x sound very similar in tuning, but the Hemps might have a bit of an edge in technical performance. I would just keep the Hemps.

1 Like

So today is the day!

I didnā€™t plan anything today, except to spend a lot of time with my much appreciated GRADOā€™s.

Everything is prepared:

The left ones are:

My 3 ampā€™s preferred with Grado headphones, all of my favorite cans, high / res music, every imaginable ear pad and a lot of fun.

One or the other guy will think when looking at these pictures ā€¦

and based on how much i love these headphones, it may come from the thought that i am this guy:

But do not worry, if you love Hifiman, for example, you will neither go to HiFi heaven anytime soonā€¦.

:grin: :rofl:

7 Likes

As one of the first findings of the comparison, I had to find out that the F-pads have a very good sound, but because the 325xā€™s are pretty heavy bastards for Grado conditions, they require a higher contact pressure on the ears, otherwise they would with every movement, slip of the head.

That makes them uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes at the latest.

So I had the best experience with the Yuhtech G-cushions as a whole, and they also show the stage significantly enlarged.

Something that works great with the Hemp due to its much lower weight, namely easy replacement of ear pads, is unfortunately not so easy with the 325xā€˜s due to its high weight and these :woozy_face: foam pad system.

The sound, by the way, is beyond any doubt. DMSā€˜es assessment is absolutely to the point.

My preferred amp so fair is the ifi xCan, it has a wonderful synergy.

I wish Grado had used the much wider and slightly better padded headband from the GS series for the 325x model.

They are almost as heavy, but is much more comfortable to wear. With this material quality, the price would have increased immeasurably :rofl:.

1 Like

The Hemps and the 325x have the same drivers, the housing changes itā€™s tuning a little bit though. I find the 325x to be a little brighter than the hemps. But no where as bright as grados used to be in the past. Compared to my 325is, the x is not as peaky and smoother overall, with better bottom end response.

Just to show off, free the Grados from their garden hose!

12 Likes

Very nice collection and those detachable cable mods look great.

Welcome to the hifi guides forum!

1 Like

Are you really sure about that :question:

Both the technical data and the sound properties seem too different to me for that.

The Hemps =

• Housing: Hemp / Maple Wood

• Transducer Type: Dynamic

• Operating Principle: Open Air

• Frequency Response: 13hz-28kHz

• SPL 1mW: 98

• Normal Impedance: 38 ohms

• Driver Matched db: .05 db

The 325ā€˜s =

2 Likes

Labels are all wrong on the x series boxes. Look online, the correct specs are there. All xs have a 38ohm driver now. Iā€™ve also opened up enough hemps and my 325x, 80x to know by now.

Thanks! Been a lurker for a while :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Do the Xā€™s have the same brightness as the Eā€™s?

SR325eā€™s were my gateway into the Grado world. While I Really liked the sound, I could not handle the brightness. I ended up moving up to woodies.

Specs of Hemps and 325x respectively. The frequency response is slightly different. Driver could have some differences as well.

1 Like

I could be wrong about them both sharing the drivers. But I also wouldnā€™t be surprised if current production hemps measure the same as current x series drivers. Iā€™ve had two RS2es come in for modding and they had different drivers, they also didnā€™t sound the same. Considering Grados lack of consistency and QC even within the same model, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if earlier runs of the Hemps are slightly different than current productions.

It depends on the exact model. From reviews on the Grado fan club on head-fi, the SR60x is more of the classic e series sound, the SR80x is more Hemp like, the SR225x is more classic, and the SR325x is more Hemp like.

I donā€™t remember seeing any specific thoughts on the SR125x.

I have never heard the Hemp, but was curious if they had toned down the 325E brightness.

I thought a lot of Grado models would share the same driver but they are (de)stressed differently. As in that they start out the same but when they are put into the final product they sound different due to the procedures they go through.

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if they updated models through their lifecycle such as the RS2e having both the black and brown headband. This could be due to them being a small manufacturer and certain components being unavailable after a while.

Edit - I am open to clarification on this though.

1 Like