Gustard x16 vs Topping D90

Only one advice, please, don’t buy m400, the worst investment in my life.

Popping in for a quick question as I’ve been comparing the Topping vs. Gustard for an imminent purchase - either D70S, D90 or this X16, which I really like the idea of because of the measurements, and the lower price!

My question is whether the Gustard can output to both XLR and RCA at the same time, like the Topping? And either way, how do you quick select the output on the Gustard? Doesn’t really matter if it can’t do both at once, but I want the ability to switch between them as I have a pair of Geshelli amps, one of which is balanced only, and the other I will run through RCA in line with a Loki+ for EQ. I know the function button quick press is input select, but what about output?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I received my X16 and am very, very happy so far although I am experiencing one issue, but maybe it is my amp, or rather the way it is playing together with the Gustard?

I have two Geshelli Labs amps, both the Archel 2.5Pro and the Erish, which I just received. I have been swapping back and forth and I prefer the balanced output of the Erish, as it does separate the sound more, feels like it has a wider soundstage and everything seems a little, I dunno, crispier. The issue is the the volume getting turned up just past the point where it is uncomfortable for me results in the Erish turning off, and back on when you lower the volume. Now, I am a total n00b, but the Archel 2.5Pro doesn’t do this.

Any advice? The X16 is phenomenal but I want to make sure there’s no issue; I really don’t think it’s anything Gustard-hardware related, and I confirmed with Geno @ Geshelli that the Erish is comfortable taking the 4V signal from the X16. Thank you.

1 Like

Got any answers? Maybe ask in the :large_blue_diamond: Geshelli Erish thread.

D90 will bring better results if it is matched with A90, it can give full play to its greatest advantages as almost brands do, they design the amplifier for the DAC, also for DAC design a great matched amp.

:thinking:

I am very puzzled by this statement. My impression is that Topping’s claim is their amps and dacs have no sound; they pass the electrical signal in as untouched a state as current technology allows. If we grant that’s true, then why does it matter what amp or dac a given Topping piece is paired with? If they don’t have their own sound, then by definition they don’t change their own performance, they just pass the sound of whatever they are connected to. But you say the D90 will sound better when connected to the A90. That makes it sound like the D90 is not actually transparent and will change its behavior based on how its connected. So which is it? True transparency or designed to change its sound based on what its connected to?

10 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as well. :thinking:

1 Like

I can save it: both D90 and A90 are transparent, so only when D90 is stacked with A90 does it sound transparent as intended by Topping. If it is paired with something else it’s doing the D90 injustice. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I considered that. And I’m being deliberately obtuse, slightly, to illustrate a point. Given language barriers and whatnot, I’ll explain a bit more. The A90+D90 stack may very well be an ‘optimized’ stack if the goal is lowest THD and highest SINAD and SNR, etc - ie maximizing ASR measurements. As a stack, the desiger has an advantage of matching the output stage of the dac to the input stage of the amp, which can maximize those measurements together. I have never seen them measured together, though. I’m not saying those measurements don’t exist, I just haven’t seen them. Typically in the review realm and on product websites each piece is measured individually and its transparency on its own is lauded. If the piece has a 124db SINAD when a competitor the has 123db, the 124-measured piece is branded the new king of transparency that tells you the truth about your music. The point I’m trying to illustrate, and what Shenzhen’s comment is saying without saying, is there is no such thing as true tansparency in passing an electrical signal. I think manufacturers should be honest about that and stop fueling unicorn chasing.

Thanks for making your comment. It deserves to be mentioned and responded to.

4 Likes

@DMS said something the other day that actually stuck with me. He defined his point of view on what is Hi-Fi and what is Audiophile. Two separate things that I hadn’t considered as separate previously. Just a different route to take in the hobby. Separating them does make sense as the “chase” will take people inevitably in different directions.

Thank you! and I totally agree. My initial comment was obviously joining the teasing here, so hopefully it didn’t waste much of your time. But I did want to say something a bit more useful: I have the X16 and it measures extremely well in ASR and it is supposed to be transparent and sound the same as other DACs that measure equally or better. But the X16 I got sounds so drastically different from other DACs that I have heard that I even consider sending it back for a warranty to make sure it is not malfunctioning. Maybe – just a maybe, there is such a thing as transparency, but that’s more of a philosophical question of what is true to the music. I am just not convinced the SINAD measurement answers that question.

3 Likes

with current availability being all over the place are their any other contenders around this price range?

Trying to mitigate a ground loop / upgrade to a balanced dac at the same time and a lot of these are hard to get even in US right now. willing to wait if its for something really good coming soon.

Topping D30 Pro is brand new and also 399$.
Soncoz LA-QXD1 is 230$.
Edit: There’s also the Soncoz SGD1, for a bit less than 500$.
Schiit Modius is an inexpensive, made in USA, full-balanced DAC (200$).
Geshelli Erish is an inexpensive, made in USA, full-balanced (only) DAC (200$ too I think).

Actually you can even get a full-balanced, all-in-one combo (Topping DX7 Pro?) for 400$ now.

1 Like

Do you see the D30 Pro as worth 399$ ?
It was my initial consideration but while it may have the features I need it seems like the X16 at 100 more has a lot to offer. thoughts?

as for Schiit i did look at their offerings several times but they have even less features than the topping units even at the top of their price range. maybe I just need to be ok with 24/192 but then why not just use optical and avoid the ground loop entirely (this was my setup but monoprice optical switch failed)

do people like the Bifrost2? I did notice some people having issues…

I’m sure I’ll upgrade amp down the line but for now I’m only going balanced to eliminate ground loop in powered monitors.

Isn’t the Erish a headphone amp? But there is the Enog (200) and the Jnog 2 (300 with USB).

Also @jmaz87 the Bifrost 2 has quite the following here in the HFGF. Lot of folks can talk about it’s good deeds. But mostly what I’ve heard recently was a big backorder for it.

2 Likes

…fuck. Lol.
Yeah, I screwed up, sorry!

For this price, and for powered monitors, I’d get the DX7 Pro as an all-in-one, do-it-all solution. They’re still available on eBay, for 400$. And with the balanced out for the speakers, you also get the headphone amp with 1/4" and Balanced outs.

So if you want to go for simplicity, this little box will do everything you need. dac + balanced headphone amp + balanced speaker amp (etc).

…but yeah, most people here won’t buy combos, or even active speakers. They’ll try and sell different speaker amps, then try and sell different headphone amps, then try dacs, etc etc :eyes:

2 Likes

@LeDechaine I actually really glad you suggested the Erish because didn’t know anything about Geshelli and I live only a few hours from them!

I ordered the JNOG2 even though I was hoping for volume control w/ powered monitors.

having 2 opticals inputs AND usb means even if somehow i still get a ground loop with this balanced DAC I can just go back to using SPDIF without relying on an optical switch.

and now i keep looking at the Erish. very compelling but again only missing pre-amp functionality for my monitors…

are XLR-switches reliable/ inexpensive?
or i just use PC to control volume when i’m on monitors until i decide on a balanced amp with pre-amp output.

1 Like

I believe even nobsound sells inexpensive XLR switches/volume. :slight_smile:

1 Like

assuming they are decent? don’t know how picky switches of this nature are but that will work great! thanks!

might have to get the Erish now