Hagerman Audio Labs TUBA Headphone Amplifier

I agree its all about the sound and whether a SS or Tube amp I always look for great reproduction and less colored sound…I hate tube or any amps that have loose bass of uncontrolled bass…flabby etc…I want it tight and accurate…so with Mino Cinelul or Brian Bromberg is playing I get that gut punch bass and the tone is accurate etc…

Enjoy the music!

Looks beautiful!!

1 Like

Just ordered a Tuba last night, and today I already have a notification that it has shipped… Jim is fast I see lol

So stoked to listen with my Eikon, Clear, and 6xx

8 Likes

Nice!

Looking forward to your impressions. :+1:t4:

1 Like

GREAT!!

I am listening right now with the TUBA and Clears, some EVA Cassidy and its sublime!

I mentioned to a friend that with the Tuba I find myself hearing instrument resonances more or more clearly….the details of instruments, etc…when a bass string is plucked and you hear the overtones, decay etc…uncanny.

His reply was:

“I do as well and it is phenomenal, it even beats out the Phonitor XE on this regard.”

Thats saying alot…

The magic with this amp IMO is its not using any negative feedback of any kind…so its running “wide” open. Match the load (headphone) with the LO/HI output you get a really open transparent amp…and no turn on / off thumps!!

Looking forward to your experience!
Alex

Note: These tubes I have used and they are my favorite!!! Much more economical than the $200 Mullard EL84’s…and they are lushish, liquid drool in your mouth nice!! Hows that for being objective!! LOL)…

EI Tubes - Upscale Audio $30

2 Likes

Just had lunch in house here …and got a new set of earpads for the Clears…at a great price!!! :>)

Golly gee its like we just upgraded the entire audio experience here!!! LOL!!

Acoustic Alchemy and Red Dust and Spanish Lace the tune is: Ricochet…3 dimensonsal depth, absolutley wonderful with the TUBA and “upgraded” Clears…so close to a 10/10…IMO

:>)

Alex

1 Like

Having my first tube amp, I am noticing the same kind of things. I am Really re-assessing the rest of my amps now.

2 Likes

Great!!

Shane I sold my Burson Fun and several other amps…Still have a bunch here, but the TUBA, LYR3 and BH Crack are my favorites now. The Jotenheim is also a superlative amp.

There are a lot of good amps out there, then there are those that are indeed really special, but unlike op amp rolling amp rolling can be much more expensive!!

Ha!!

Alex

I swear tubes are really getting more expensive. I mean nos el84 can even get up there in price (besides the obvious pricey tubes), you can easily spend just as much on tubes as you can on the amp lol

1 Like

I assigned my Burson Fun to the office. It works great in that system.

My XDuoo TA-20, Liquid Spark and LCX are all expendable. I would like to find a GREAT amp for my Elex’s.
The THX must stay just because it is the polar opposite of the Ear+ amp :grin:

Well by definition there are a limited number of NOS tubes, and as they get rarer the prices will rise. and people will most likely over value them because of rarity.
I really wouldn’t go that lobsided with tube costs, there are a lot of other potentially expensive components in a good tube amp that affect the sound, you can spend $200+ on a single capacitor, so unless your already at endgame levels, I’d just keep the outlay for tube rolling reasonable.

1 Like

Yeah for sure lol, I get it

Just arrived, gotta set it up on the desk next.

16 Likes

Looks VERY nice!

2 Likes

Nicee, curious to see what you think of it :+1:

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous. Congrats! :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Awesome!

Nice side panels!!

What headphones are you going to use?

Mine works very well with the Focal Clears and with HD600’s. I also used several other cans. The amp is not a high power amp and the only things that would not work as well would be very low impedance planars. ie the 12 ohm stuff with really low freq’s.

With efficient cans the amp really shines for me…I parted with a tube amp costing twice as much for this puppy…

Hope u like it!!

Alex

Ha! I just looked at your profile and u have Focals and the Senns!! Great!

2 Likes

So, you really like your Clears with this amp?

2 Likes

Absolutely!!

The Clears are relatively easy to drive. Most amps will work well with them and yes we all have our favorites for a variety of reasons.

I have not found and amp that really does not work well with them…

BUT

With some amps there is definitely magic happening…the Tuba IMO is one of those as well as the ECP T4, Pendant, and a few more…

The magic with the TUBA is its a EL84 parafeed amp that runs “wide” open…the control grid on the EL84’s is tied direcly to the log vol pot…as long as the tube is operating in its linear curve its golden to me.

There is no feedback of any kind to muck with the sound…so its a pretty clean amp that allows you to hear all thats there, the limitations are your source material and headphones…and yes somewhat the dac…no extra gain stages etc.

Alex

4 Likes

Currently listening with my ZMF Eikon and it sounds great! Gonna take a few days of listening to determine if I prefer this to the RNHP for the Eikon. Also looking forward to checking out how the Clear pairs with the Tuba, I already think the Clear sounds the best on the RNHP out of everything else I’ve listened with, so we’ll see.

I might be most excited to listen to my 6xx though… I still stand by my opinion that the 6xx is my most enjoyable relaxing listening pair and that was when paired with a DarkVoice 336se (with a specific tube combo), so I’m really looking forward to hearing it off of the Tuba.

I also ordered some of those EI Tubes you recommended above, really sold me on the liquid drool imagery lol

6 Likes