Hagerman Audio Labs TUBA Headphone Amplifier

Remember its a log pot, so you need to crank it up past 12 o’clock to really get to the fun stuff!!!

Alex

2 Likes

yeah I don’t see how I would crank it past 12 honestly it’s almost too loud for me at 1230-1o’clock on both the Eikon and Clear so far. I guess I can try turning down to medium gain on my enog2pro to get more headroom.

how loud do you typically listen at with your clear?

I would do that, the enog 2 preforms best at medium gain anyways imo

1 Like

yeah at medium gain I can turn it up more, but pretty much have to max out to get same listening volume as before… haha I’m now sitting at about 4 o’clock. I’m guessing it doesn’t matter that I max out the pot because of the design of the amp?

@M0N I’ve always ran it on high gain on the RNHP due to having to max out the pot otherwise on most of my headphones to get preferred volume…

Makes sense with the rnhp, having that extra bump on the rnhp is helpful for some headphones. I would say if you don’t hear a difference between going further on the pot on the tuba, just set it back to higher gain lol

2 Likes

I use a SPL meter to set my listening to approx 75 db…and I note where this is on the vol pot.

I seldom go beyond this, on occasions for short periods I go a little higher for testing etc…

What I was getting at is the pot on the TUBA is a logrithimic pot vs and normal audio taper type and you would have to physically crank it up further on an amp. especially with lower gain.

I also dont use replay gain in my music player (Jriver or Foobar 2000) so I am constantly moving the pot up and down a bit depending on how hot the song was recorded.

Alex

2 Likes

I use the Lo output on my Eikons, I prefer the better control it gives to the bass.
Using that output I run at more or less 11:30->1:30 on the dial depending on the recording.

4 Likes

Thats about why I use…the Log pot makes you have to get up to that area IMO…on my Lyr 3 or Jotenheim its only 9 to 11 at best…way more juice down low on their pot / design. Their Magni 3+ etc have log pots.

Alex

1 Like

@Towa Thoughts on the Tuba so far? Curious how you think it compares to the DV and RNHP with your cans.

2 Likes

I’ve only really listened to the Eikon for a solid amount of time so far, but I can say without a doubt I prefer it on the Tuba over the RNHP. With that said it’s not a night and day difference, the eikon sounds great on both… Just I prefer the tuba’s added warmth and overall more musical presentation for the eikon.

I’ve briefly a&b tested the clears between the two, and as of right now I still prefer the RNHP. But I need to really give it some solid time like the eikon first before I can come to a conclusion. I’m gonna try my 6xx tonight for the first time, so we’ll see about that pairing.

7 Likes

Been listening to my 6xx last night and most of today with the Tuba. Yeah… I’ve never heard these sound so good. Super clean sounding with a smoothness to the music that is so pleasing, the bass is noticeably better quality and quantity wise. Compared to the DV this is just so much more refined sounding imo. You can really tell that Jim designed this amp with the HD 650 in mind for the high impedance output, it just sounds right.

7 Likes

Funny enough, that has been my experience as well…although I have only had 4 hours to listen so far.

6 Likes

This little amp is really a great amp…really surprising!

Makes me smile alot!

Alex

4 Likes

Are you saying we’d lie to you???

2 Likes

Ha! No…

Its just when a simple amp design comes out for a really good price its surprising to me in that many folks think it takes mega-bucks for this kind of performance…and here is a simple design priced right that really works well. Without all the cosmetic stuff…an aluminum box with a simple knob…no fancy VU meters, and other circuit stuff…just an amp.

The Tuba is not perfect, but its really a great amp for sure…

Alex

I guess it would be because people associate the simple designs being expensive because in the higher end they tend to go balls to the wall with component quality (pricey resistors and caps and so on) on simple designs? (but the whole simple design high quality component vs complex design not as high tier components thing comes into play lol)

Agreed, I really enjoy mine.
I just swapped the the stock new production Mullard tubes in mine for some EI’s someone on here recommended, and I think they are an improvement and pretty decently priced…
I have a couple of sets of reasonably priced NOS tubes on order…

1 Like

Curious to see what my nos bugle boy el84 sound like with them, should be interesting (also never heard a bugle boy before as well)

1 Like

Yes I’m still waiting for my pair of EI tubes to come in (stuck in usps hell atm) , but I’m excited to hear more people think they are an improvement over stock. What are your thoughts on them? How do they improve sound wise over the stock mullards?

1 Like

YMMV, for me they have more body and a bit more bass than the new production Mullards. Possibly slightly wider sound-stage.
On my Eikon’s I preferred the Lo out with the stock tubes, largely because the better Bass response, with the EI’s I prefer the Hi out.

1 Like