šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne Helios

Iā€™d hope itā€™s just different opinion and not faulty pair. That would give me concern. Part of the reason why Iā€™ve avoided most of the chifi stuff to be honest, including monoprice.

But it sounds more like different perception overall. I mean it falls in line with reviews so far where some like zeos say theyā€™re amazing and others say theyā€™re simply not bad. Sounds like theyā€™re just a hit or miss for people. Which also falls in line for most chifi stuff. Love it or hate it. Maybe not hate it, but just ā€œehhhhā€ it lol.

I still wouldnā€™t mind a pair one day for display. They are lookers, Iā€™ll give them that.

2 Likes

I doubt it. bright is bright and veiled is veiled. Anyone who hear these headphones cannot deny they have a LOT of treble. I think his phones are clearly faulty. he should return them

ā€œPart of the reason why Iā€™ve avoided most of the chifi stuff to be honest, including monoprice.ā€

Avoiding products just because they come from China is a bit shortsighted. QC issues are part of the industry as a whole, not just products originating in China. I own 4 sets of Takstar Pro 82, two sets of Takstar HF-580, the Monoprice m570, and the Taotronics SoundSurge 46ā€¦ not a problem with any of them, not to mention other electronics coming from China.

Iā€™ve had U.S. made hifi products that have had problems (Audeze, Harmon Kardon), so should I be universally avoiding U.S. made products?

No, of course not.

Iā€™m not saying I avoid all Chinese stuff. I think you misunderstand. Iā€™m saying I avoid some of the cheaper Chinese products, at least until I get enough information to see what they are like. Iā€™m not referring to chifi as the whole of Chinese products. And if you read my whole comment, Iā€™m also not stating because of just QC issues, Iā€™m also stating because of the mixed reviews that most seem to get. Products that are promoted to hit way above their weight but donā€™t live up to their claims. Such as the phantoms.

I also went on to state i I felt that it was more likely just a different opinion on the sound, and not to immediately dismiss it as a QC issue. That i didnā€™t believe it was a QC issue. But if it was a QC issue where one pair sounds worse than another, that would be an issue.

And even if I prefer products from some countries more than others, I donā€™t see that as much of an issue. There is the possibility of a QC issue with US products sure. But Iā€™ve also had much easier times with resolving these issues if there are service centers in the country I live in. Avoids sending products across the world to get them fixed as well as any possible language barriers when discussing issues.

5 Likes

Yes but veiled exists in headphones without it being a QC issue. Some may perceive something as veiled and others may not. Iā€™m just saying it shouldnā€™t immediately shouldnā€™t be considered a QC issue when it could just as easily be a variance in perception. And that a difference in opinion would in my opinion be preferred as a consumer And for the the company than newly released headphones being ā€œfaultyā€

Yeah i understand that. what im saying is theres no way these headphones can be perceived as veiled anymore than the Sendy Aiva can be perceived as veiled

Yeah maybe not. I wouldnā€™t know. Iā€™m interested to see more and more opinions soon though.

I mean the aiva can be perceived as veiled if you want to use that term due to itā€™s bass roll off, but idk lol

A veil for bass instead of treble? interesting

There is a review on Head-fi here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/harmonicdyne-helios.24179/reviews
He describes it as forwards and shouty

1 Like

That review seems to be on the opposite side of the fence too. And I guess thatā€™s kinda the point Iā€™m getting at. That there is two explanations for these. Either peopleā€™s opinions vary greatly on them, some love, some hate, some ā€œehā€. Or the other conclusion is that people are all getting completely different sounding headphones. I think that the former makes a lot more sense.

Although I do remember one pair of hifimans where people claimed that getting the ā€œrightā€ ones was luck of the draw. So who knows :man_shrugging:

I noticed in one of the reviews the reviewer had gotten leather pads on his copy. Mine came with what i thought was velour. so there could have been some last minute changes to the headphone to accompany what reviews they where receiving.

Yeah that could be possible. Have you tried any of the other pads yet?

its sounds so good ive been reluctant to try it. And the pads look like their tight on there. iā€™m reluctant to try lol

I jumped in on these without bells and whistles (re: 10 sets of pads). Non Audiophile here- just dip the toes in cheaper end of sound.

For reference my in & on ear-
Phillips SHP9500ā€™s
Marshall Major 3 BT
Beyerdynamics 770ā€™s 80ohm
Tin T2ā€™s
Tin T4ā€™s

Running through either:
Schiit Fulla 2
or
Balanced Grace DAC to SMSL SP 200

I really like the sound Iā€™m getting running on my old used 30$ Fulla Schiit 2. The Grace and SMSL are nice too. (have run 1 hour with the fulla) These feel really detailedā€¦I find myself hearing things Iā€™d not noticed when listening to tracks before ā€¦which is cool. The stage is great as well ( i think thats the termā€¦where you can close your eyes and point to various instuments or feel like you could sketch a 3d setup of the instruments. Iā€™m not doing a lot of bass heavy stuff yet, mostly rock and chill beats. I am super stoked on these and feel they were good value.

4 Likes

Nice! Glad to hear youā€™re liking them. :+1:

So if you got the 5 extra pads instead of 10, did you get to choose them or did they just choose a random 5 to give you?

Random. and its kinda lame cause some are exactly the same but the inside. so one is round and another is oval. Iā€™m not sure if it has anything to do with the sound. you can see that the inside oval pads are thinner on the top and bottom of the pad. The headphones are pretty big. so i guess their for people with really big ears. maybe thats how the Asians see us lol

Niceeeeeee. Sounds good. I know you just got them but could you give a quick comparison to the DT 770s and tin t2?

Sweet, glad youre liking it. Yeah i found it super detailed also. maybe thats why they said they were giant killers. idk. But i was surprised at the detail myself with i put them on. I think we both got ourselves a bargain for 130$ Would you say they are veiled?