Harmonics and *why* harmonic distortion matters

I found a couple good videos discussing and breaking down what harmonics are and why harmonic distortion matters in audio quality.
It’s a very basic explanation as to why different amps/dacs sound different… “warmer” or “analytical” etc… why Tube amps tend to sound warm… etc. Why THD measurements matter just as much as FQR measurements…

4 Likes

Harmonics (added by equipment) is key. Too much and it goes from warm and sweet to veiled, thick, and colored.

None - and you are on a search on how to mellow the sound. Room treatments, DAC with some, etc.

Personally I hate the fatness in tube amps of over 50 watts, not to mention retubing costs. I found my fix with Pass amps going back to his days at Threshold. Little bit of HD in there, a consistent amount, no retubing.

Odd order harmonic distortion - to be avoided, for sure.

Look at it this way. Recording/mixing/producing does not capture the full experience of the music. The electrical chain - in particular the transducers and the room or the confined spaces of a headphone - mangles the music. Small/medium amounts of HD can add back - not what was lost, but, something that’s akin to it. As long as you don’t overdo it.

2 Likes

That is actually really insightful! I have never thought of it thay way.