Has anyone here been on a keto or carnivore diet for more than 3 months?

how was it? what did you like / dislike? what made you decide to give it a shot? any recommendations for someone considering these?

my mom has been on and off a keto diet with intermittent fasting for about a year and a half and after an 8 month tear started keto again this summer and went full carnivore in September. yesterday she told me she’s lost 70lbs, so that’s caught my interest.

2 Likes

Yes, though when I started it, I didn’t know there was a name for or a following of it.

I’m diabetic and had the knowledge that sugar, carbohydrates and ultra-processed foods are not good for me. But I didn’t always listen to the logic. My mental addiction and taste buds would override my brain a lot.

Sugar, carbs, ultra-processed foods are things which contribute to heart disease. I’ve been learning a lot about the liver this year and it’s crucial role to the body. I’ve learned about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and the dangers of visceral fat and how the body converts the sugar, carbs, excess protein into fat, leading to heart disease, diabetes, or more roundly, metabolic disease.

I broke my mental addiction to those things in February this year. I’ve since lost 65 pounds and have been taken off all of my diabetes medications by my doctor. I look and feel great again.

Some rules I follow now are these,

• Never drink my calories (smoothies, protein shakes, alcohol~, etc)
  • Never count my calories (or macros)
  • Eat whole foods only
  • Exercise - get my 10,000 steps per day, lift some weights
  • Do intermittent fasting once or twice a week, 24 to 36 hours
  • Eat lot’s of non-starchy vegetables, minimal sugary fruits
  • Eat pasture raised eggs
  • Eat grass fed beef
  • Eat organic when possible

~I will have a small dram of Scotch on occasion.

I can go into a lot more detail, but will keep it to this for now.

Suggested YouTube channels for more information would be these:

• Dr. Eric Berg
  • Dr. Sten Ekberg
  • Dr. Cywes CarbAddictionDoc
  • Jesse Chappus
  • The Diary of a CEO
6 Likes

Everything we eat can be converted to energy, but protein is a little different; it repairs. I doubt that protein can become fat though.
Sten Ekberg is a great watch.
I have been on a low carb diet for nearly 2 years & I have lost weight & kept it off, have more energy + people comment how healthy I look.
I also think better; my gut feeling like my very being is directly linked to what I eat.
Fasting & exercise are important too, as is being at one with nature; spending more time outside.
I wash only with water & try to use little or no products around the home.

1 Like

Where I live half of the people are half dead from the crap they eat. Was so degusted by all of the fat people in the supermarket with junk in their trolleys, that I decided to go low carb’. Best choice of my life; has saved my life. I wish everyone to wise up to the bullshit which is slowly killing them.

I really would not recommend keto diet, it may be effective but it sure can not be healthy.
Maybe it´s ok for a while until you lost some weight but you should return to whole foods after that.

As mentioned above not drinking your calories (soft drinks are the devil!!!) would also be one of my top advices…it´s just so useless.

Don´t eat processed food. No white bread. No candys (…Duh!), try to avoid Pasta on a regular basis.

When i was 17 I lost 35kg (was a fatty my whole childhood/youth) but also gained some wait afterwards again and now I am constantly back to my normal weight for many years and the only thing that really helps is changing your whole eating habbits and find activities that you enjoy doing (For me hiking and Yoga)

Find alternatives that are tasty so you will not miss other stuff.
Eat things that keep you full for a long period of time.
Long chain carbohydrates so your body is busy with it and not hungry again after a short period of time.

Try different things and find out what is best for YOU. Every body is different.

As an example I am really fine with not having breakfast at all (low energy office job) (so there’s my daily intermittent fasting 16:8)…Coffee is enough to get me going :smiley:
At arround 11/12ish in the afternoon i will have my “breakfast/lunch” which usually is a porridge with oat milk, some fruits, nuts, seeds, natural protein powder from hemp or nettle seeds and rose hip powder for some vitamine C.
I add a tablespoon of coconut oil that will help keeping me full and also helps the body to better absorb the vitamine C.
This usually keeps me full until dinner and if I should get hungry in between I make sure that there is enough healthy stuff to counter that (fruits, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Olives :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and so on)

Try to eat a lot of legumes, Peas, chickpeas, lentils, beans, these will keep you full and you get in your proteine

Don´t be too strict with yourself.

Treat yourself from time to time.

1 Like

I more or less agree with you. I think Keto & Carnivore diets are confused though. I am on a low carb diet; a diet where my body gets most of what it needs from fat and protein. Avoiding foods which sugar quickly in the body is a good move for many., but yes we are all different. I would look more into grain production though.

2 Likes

No Robert Lustig? :slight_smile:
He talks a lot about liver health/metabolic health vs. excess insulin and insulin resistance. One interesting tidbit I got from him is that excess BCAAs (like from sweet/wet dairy, basically anything with whey or whey-based) also pushes unnecessary insulin (unless you’re a growing baby or a bodybuilder) and tilts things in the direction of insulin resistance and chronic problems, not just the high/fast carbs.

But re: keto he also says it should be limited to specific cases and especially says to avoid half-assing it and ending up with just a high-fat diet where you’re not in ketosis most of the time.

I’ve been on keto for over 3 months. It’s been a rollercoaster - liked the energy but missed my carbs. Tried it 'cause I wanted a change. If you’re thinking about it, ease in and listen to your bod. Everyone’s different!

1 Like

Him too. My list wasn’t intended to be all-inclusive.

1 Like

the longer you’ve been abusing your body with crap, the more hardcore your start should be.

great guy; doesn’t pull any punches when referring to sugar as poison

Paleo-ish since 2013. Lost 40 pounds within six months and largely have kept it off since.

My diet:
– I eat green, leafy vegetables, onions, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, low-glycemic fruit, nuts.
– If it comes in a box or can, you probably shouldn’t eat it.
– No fast food. Zippo.
– Yes, I drink beer and liquor. But limited beer, as seltzers have fewer carbs. I do enjoy my two fingers of scotch two or three nights per week, though.
– No industrial seed oils (no canola, sunflower, vegetable, corn oils. Only olive and avocado.)
– No grains other than one slice of 100 percent whole wheat toast every morning. Avoid all white flours like genital warts, and avoid all rice, white or brown. Rice is just sugar and carbs with almost no nutritional value. Also realize the VAST majority of products labeled as “whole wheat” are made of white flour with some wheat flour mixed in. Bad news.
– No sugars other than natural sugars from low-glycemic fruit such as blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.
– Avoid “lowfat” products or packaged “keto” or “Paleo” products. They’re stuffed with additives, and fats can be healthy.
– Very limited dairy. Just a bit of real butter – NEVER margarine or spread – on my toast and full-fat plain yogurt over fruit.
– Very limited legumes. Will have a few spoonfuls of black beans at a Mexican place for some prebiotic fiber a couple times per year.
– No soda, energy drinks or juices. No smoothies. No whipped cream and caramel shit in your coffee. Diet soda or energy drinks are not acceptable – they’re stuffed with chemicals. Smoothies basically are milk shakes for people who think they’re eating healthy. They’re not – smoothies usually are stuffed with starchy fruit like bananas and high-glycemic (lots of natural sugar) fruit. Drink water with a splash of straight lemon juice. Drink unsweetened ice tea. Drink kombucha. Drink naturally flavored seltzer water.

In summary: Lots of protein. Far more saturated fat than the idiots at the USDA and their f*cked-up food pyramid suggests. If you avoid white flours, sugars and industrial seed oils, you’re 80 percent of the way there.

Another tip: Cheat days are just pathways to failure. Do not allow yourself cheat days. You’ll just end up making them more frequent, adding bigger portions or more treats. Instead, reward yourself with something healthy. Maybe a bar of 80 percent dark chocolate. Maybe a can of coconut water.

This diet sounds limiting. It’s not. The only limit is your imagination in the kitchen. But be warned that you will need to create more time to cook and for meal prep since you’re no longer eating fast food or microwave shit out of a box.

But man, it’s so worth it. You will lose weight. Your blood markers will improve. You will have more energy. You will get sick less often.

Go for it! Don’t hesitate to ask me any questions.

3 Likes

you are in the path and exactly what I wish to emulate!!!

I wanr to lose 109 - 120lbs. I’m 300ish now, but being 5’10" makes me an obese fatty. I’ve been fat most of my life so don’t know anything other than living life like one. I’m also 44, so my joints are beginning to show the wear n tear and protest far to much :stuck_out_tongue:

Outstanding. The first steps to success are commitment and self-belief. YOU CAN DO THIS.

A positive first step is a food cleanout in your dwelling. Get rid of all food that hinders your goals. Goodbye, packaged food, junk food, industrial seed oils, sugary food, soda, etc. If it’s unopened, donate it to a local food bank. Then go to your grocery store and start buying healthy food. Your temptations will be far less if you lack instant availability to bad food.

Please feel free to respond here or DM me at any time. I’m more than happy to use lessons learned from my journey to help you! Also, learn from your mom! She has found success with this way of eating – congrats to her! – and can help you.

For starters, let me know the kinds of foods that you REALLY like that you’ll have to eliminate for this diet to be successful. I probably can name you a healthy alternative that might even taste better than the food you’re quitting!

Example: I eat no pasta. Don’t miss it because roasted spaghetti squash is delicious and has a texture somewhat close to pasta. And I don’t have the bloated feeling and huge carb energy crash a few hours after eating a massive serving of pasta.

Finally, one mental tip. Don’t say to yourself, “I can’t eat this,” when eliminating foods. Instead, say, “I choose not to eat this because it’s unhealthy shit, and I want to lose weight and get healthier.” Very subtle change, but that’s far more affirming and also prevents you from feeling like you’re denying yourself food pleasure. Trust me: There’s even more pleasure in filling your body’s tank with good food than with shit that leads to ill health.

3 Likes

you are consuming lots of sugar & so you are in no position to be giving advice or tips. your diet may be better than most, but you are knowingly or otherwise making mistakes or cheats. its a pity because apart from the booze you are nearly there. good luck on further improving your diet. you have come this far…

I obviously eat too many carbs. I think the largest problems will be switching up salad dressings and losing sauces (butter chicken, bbq, pancake syrup, etc.), then crackers and potato chips…and dairy. I can’t drink my coffee without creamer, 18%, anything less is unsatisfactory. cheese, I top it on a lot of my foods…eggs, fries, nachos. 14% organic yogurt that I mix with granola and a couple cups of frozen berries or fruit like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries and peaches. I like the crunch of a good gala / ambrosia or similar apple and bananas. oh, PIZZA!!! that one is going to be hard!

money has been tight for the last couple of months so my fridge and freezer are pretty sad looking. I will be doing a purge this Friday (garbage day) morning and then plan on focusing on meats, salad (cabbage coleslaw, broccoli slaw and kale salad) and low glycemic fruits, which I have to read about. Do this for a few weeks and see how I feel and then start to phase out the fruits and then the salads and see how I do on full carnivore and then reevaluate from there.

your largest problem there is the booze; mostly sugar water. apart from that you have pretty good idea. I got a lot of my low carb diet info’ from Sten Ekberg on utube. have a watch & take notes.

I’m not much of a drinker. my intake is primarily water, coffee and flavored sparkling waters, which have 0 calories already.

2 Likes

fluids are a tough part of a healthy diet; watch out for what’s in your drinks.

What´s wrong with legumes? :thinking:
It´s actualy pretty healthy to eat them on a regular, if not daily basis