Have we talked about USB cable quality yet?

Only in the audio world can someone not think twice about the cheapo cable permanently attached to their $60 CD drive used to rip an audio CD at 12X redbook speed. Then stress if not using a $120 dollar USB cable to send the same FLAC file to a DAC.

1 Like

cripes…iFi’s1.5ft Gemini3.0 cable is $210 USD!!! :o

You are sending audio over USB, correct?
So what do you need 5Gbit/s for?

I think I have 3 SSDs (two of which are just boot drives) that could saturate that.

Yes, but not over the pins added by USB 3.0 Type-B

it’s also powering the Zen DAC.

Some devices need it for power. The extra 400mA makes a significant difference when there’s no external power supply.

1 Like

then why use the more expensive SuperSpeed Type B if there was no benefit to it?

1 Like

I don’t know if this is correct but I think the devices need to do a handshake to confirm it is USB3.0 and needs the 900mA otherwise it just sends 500mA to ensure backwards compatibility.

3 Likes

Well you kinda mentioned after this post but if the device in guestion does not support / need more power.
You cannot “force feed” it with more power even if the USB-cable would support more. :slight_smile: (well technically you can force feed any device with more power but it will probably burn after that)
It’s in the hardware limitation/restriction how much power it can handle or take in.

There was talk about the iFi Dac.
I would bet, it takes and uses the same amount of power, no matter the connection is.
If it would take more. Why people not buying the iFi’s own changer and just use data transfer?

1 Like

I may be misreading the USB PD-spec, AFAIK negotiation has nothing to do with data lines.

sure wish iFi had a support email…would love to ask why they chose SuperSpeed Type B over the regular Type B everyone else uses.

Not every dac is USB powered.

I know…but this one is…some of Schiit’s are and they use the standard type B printer connector. so incurring a higher production cost and customer’s end price makes no sense unless it has purpose…and reviewing specs and such, that purpose isn’t obvious.

so, found iFi’s ticket system…submitted a low priority query about why they chose SuperSpeed. I hope they will actually answer me.

1 Like

also, was having a brain fart and realized the 1.5ft SS cable it came with was enough. the Zen is on top of my Mac Mini now and I’m listening to Westworld’s OST. I like the bass boost! :smiley:

One thing i dont see often on usbs that o think would be standard with the higher price is a ferrite core.

so funny and stupid at the same time.

I found a 3.0 SuperSpeed A to B with dual ferrite filter for $4.40 USD.
https://www.hlinting.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28057

I also found one on Amazon.ca…for $57 CAD.

Generally I haven’t had good luck with usb audio and ferrite chokes, has degraded audio quality on some dacs I have tried (others have been fine though)

I have an ifi Nano One, it uses a super speed type B connection but works just fine when I have plugged in a regular ol’ type B connection.

Whenever I’m powering a DAC though I use this with a 5V linear power supply I’ve got. Never rely on USB power when I can avoid it.

2 Likes

that’s interesting…the iFi Gemini3.0 is quad filtered. LoL!

how much did it cost you? Amazon listings show the prices to be beyond insane.