Have we talked about USB cable quality yet?

Filtering isn’t bad, I’m just saying that I’ve not had good results with ferrite chokes specifically

2 Likes
1 Like

hahaha, I see I misread your post. I thought you said you had an iFi USB cable…but you actually have the Nano One DAC/Amp and used THAT cable to power it.

I so have the cable but I still used this adapter since I can feed it via a battery pack or a linear ps.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with what is meant by the term ‘linear power supply’…but by batter pack, you mean the built-in one or via UPS?

it’s just a type of power supply. Typically a wall wart is a switched power supply, cheap, efficient but noisy. a linear power supply is not efficient, not cheap but introduces very little noise to the power it produces when compared to a switched ps.

That’s why it’s a preferred way to power USB DACs. and yeah another way you can get clean 5v power into a USB DAC is to use a good LiON battery pack.

I use a teddypardo teddyUSB with my berkeley alpha usb and it works pretty well

shit that’s expensive. are there any more reasonably priced / affordable options out there?

Out of curiosity, what’s the benefit over going through a solution like this instead versus using the toslink out from a computer mb? Is there clocking that has to go on in a PS to generate the optical signal?

I would very much like to explore options to further clean up the source path.

For sure, there are a bunch of chifi and used ones that are good prices

and because we’re talking USB, power, noise and such…anyone have experience with this?

1 Like

are they any good? where would I look? any reputable chifi brands?

Can’t speak for the quality but the Topping D10 DAC ($70 or less used) has the ability to do this, turn USB into digital out. Not sure where on the performance scale it would be when compared to the Alpha USB @M0N mentioned.

1 Like

Imo avoid toslink if you can, the least ideal way to connect a dac imo, cable quality can be picky, limited bandwidth, more potential jitter issues. Ideally you want to use USB or coax spdif with most dacs imo, but it depends on the dac at hand. Why I use what I do is mainly so I can have all my dacs connected at once without windows crapping itself (since I had USB issues all the time). Not going to get into the positives and negatives of USB and digital to digital converters though

1 Like

well…I don’t need a DAC that converts…as this is gong into a Zen, LoL.

wonder how good it is as it’s about a 5th the price of the Teddy.

Think he’s talking about cheaper lps? Some cheaper digital interfaces are like the pi2aes, matrix x spdif, stuff from singxr or gustard

1 Like

now I’m getting mixed up.

my current thread of interest in the discussion is what options exist for a linear power supply that can power my Zen DAC. I guess it would need to have data pass-through as well, since the music is streamed over the same USB cable as well.

LOL I confused myself. lps, good.

1 Like

I don’t understand, is there a reason you don’t want to use the iPower. iFi offers the 5V ipower, when in use, the DAC will switch to PS power, so that USB will only handle data.

1 Like

I’m just investigating because of reasons.

say I had the Schiit Modi 3 or other DAC that takes power and data via a single USB connector. :wink: