Have you met Hel?

i did promise myself, though, that the next amp i buy will be balanced. (trying to save up atm)
which also means i need a balanced dac…

This in my opinion is definitely targeting the console market, the same market Mayflower arc is going after. People on console who want to run their higher end audiophile headphones properly while also using a mic at the same time.

Why is that? (Just curious). Also apparently they are working on a new JOT, so I would wait for that

1 Like

i want to see what the hype is all about lol. so many people say its great, some say its bs, so like with all things i decided that there’s one way to find out and that’s by trying it out on my own. doing the same with high quality cables (making my own)

I was thinking about buying the Mayflower arc for my ps4 but now this is a thing, I’ll have to reconsider. Cheaper and seems to be of higher quality… Hmmm

Also find it funny that they advertise the hel with an audeze gx in the background, a headphone that would benefit from a better amp imo lol

This thing, be the looks of it, is aimed at the average gamer looking for upgrades beyond their PC. For example a venture into better audio.

I could see someone with a Beyerdynamic Custom Game (or similar) have this thing on their desk. And for that the 3.5 and 6.3mm jacks make sense.

I got an XLR mic, and a way to hook it up. But I am so lazy I am still using my USB mic.

1 Like

Cmon, it’s not that hard to use an interface and xlr lol

2 Likes

but…uuuuuuh…mai armz dun’t reech dat far! uuuuuuhn… /me poops in a bowl

I never said hard, I said lazy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess that’s fair lol

1 Like

hey Maze, I was razzing M0N…not you, though I get why it could come across like that. so pls don’t be offended!

Discourse with its lack of “replied to” image signs is… meh

should maybe put a smiley in that post. All good on my end.

1 Like

I’ve never actually heard of this option for mics before now. I didn’t know that 3.5mm to XLR adapters existed either. Sounds way better than what I’ve been doing with my headset mic, and I might try the modmic5 through the um2 as well. Since I’ve got a D50+Atom it’s bothered me I didn’t have a good setup for a mic. Thanks, M0N :slight_smile:

XLR to 3.5mm cables are not in any way reccomended. Hel, I’d recomend you steer clear.

The ones I am referring to are the ones that take down the voltage

Not just a straight xlr to 3.5mm. Don’t do that

1 Like

Why not?
When your mic does not need phantom power and your audio interface does not have an XLR / 1/4" combo port
then why not?

Of course turn phantom power off and turn down the volume before plugging anything.

It’s because with electret mics, they do need some voltage, and without phantom power, many interfaces don’t provide any voltage, so that won’t work, and if you turn phantom power on, the mic most likely won’t be able to handle the 48 volts. So getting an adapter that takes the 48v volts down to something that an electret can handle is necessary

Last night I went and bought the adapter from Rode since it was a couple $ cheaper than Antlion’s adapter on amazon and they both do the same thing with the voltage. Excited to replace this cheap ass useless sybasonic dac/amp I have been using just for a mic input. The adapter and UM2 come tomorrow :smiley:

Nice, I hope it works well for you :+1: