Hd6xx dac or amp?

Wow. That was extensive and interesting article. I looked at the DV. I’ve seen Zeos praise it with the right tube but read a few things about quality issues. I also saw a Zeos review (I think Lyre 3-could be wrong) that pre amp tubes don’t draw enough of that tubiness (everyone has a different opinion). I’m definitely going to have to look into this. Thank you again for your knowledge.

If you can’t decide between Schiit products, you could buy all of them and return what you don’t want. But you will have to pay for shipping and a 10% restocking fee. I tried the Valhalla 2 myself for about a week and returned it. At the time, I personally didn’t think it was worth it. But take that with a grain of salt since I wasn’t very experienced back then and don’t currently have any good tube amps. If I were you I’d get the cheaper Asgard 3. (I have one on order but haven’t heard it.) I’ve seen it described as having a sound in between a solid state and tube amp.

2 Likes

if schiit takes paypal paypal I believe will cover return shipping

1 Like

Dang. I wish knew about that before. I’ll keep that in mind for later

1 Like

I’ve read the same about Asgaard. I feel like is the common sense amp to get…with the sound, return policy and warranty. However, the Valhalla is going out on a limb and sometimes those pay off. Lol. What didn’t you like about the Valhalla?

Ok, I haven’t written my review for the 6XX yet, but I do have some thoughts about the amp. I listened to them on a few amps and surprisingly ( but shouldn’t have been) I think they sound the best on the Liquid Spark.

I haven’t really been using the liquid spark lately. It was disconnected for a video I"m planning to do.

I listened to the 6XX first on the Rupert Neve RNHP and wasn’t blown away so I let them burn in for a day or 2. Still wasn’t overly impressed with the hype for them despite liking Sinn’s in the past. (long ago) any way here are some quick thoughts.

TLDR; I like them now but not on the RNHP, Liquid Spark for the win!

DAC: ENOG 2 Balanced output to
The RNHP thickens the sound a bit, like pudding or something, It’s not completely unpleasing but not for me. The resolution might be slightly more (maybe) but the tones don’t work to me.

DAC: ENOG 2 Single-ended output to
Geshelli Labs Archel 2.5 pro was better to my ears, not as thick sounding. A more pleasing balance but still missing something to me.

S.M.S.L SP-200 This was even better to my ears. The extra sparkle the THX tech has that can be too much for other headphones added more life (brightened) the layed back sound of the 6XX. It also made the sound more airy and open. This is a good pairing to my ears. The combo is a good balance and the 6XX and 888 complements each others positives well.

Monoprice Liquid Spark is probably my favorite combo so far, just beating out the sp200 888 THX. The liquid mids flow so well with the tonal balance, more intimate sound of the 6XX. The treble is just about perfect, no too much, and not so little that it reduces the life in the music. It has enough thump so that I know its there, it’s not bassy at all. It isn’t as airy and open as the sp200 but the nicer mids and overall balance seem to be just about perfect from all the amps that I’ve tested. I haven’t tried the Magni 3 yet, but I don’t think it’s going to be better than any of the previously mentioned amps. The new Magni 3+ might be a good match. I think the Heresy is to analytical of an amp to get the balance right. It would probably fall between the Archel 2.5 pro and THX 888 as far as combos go … I think…

I haven’t gotten a tube amp to test yet, but I am interested in checking that out as that seems to be what the Sinn 6 series really need to shine. As of now though I have chosen a $99 amp over amps that cost 3 to 5 times the price and couldn’t be happier with the 6XX now.

3 Likes

The 6XX is still my favorite headphone even though I own like 6 other more expensive ones. Also you may want to post to the 650 thread instead of this random help thread lol

2 Likes

Yeah, Thats true, but I thought it might help with the DAC/ Amp selection … lol I own a few sets of headphones, each with a little different flavor.

I think the DT880 are the best middle ground headphone to me, also probably the most comfortable as well. They really don’t do any thing wrong.

The Focal Clears hands down sound the best paired with the RNHP. Most resolving, detailed headphones.

I’ve also have Grado, Hifiman, and others. I rotate thru them all… If I’m honest so far the 6XX fall some where in the middle of the pack for me. They are growing me though. I think finding the right amp is more important with the 6XX vs some of my other headphones

Now it’s time to grab a tube amp to review lol

1 Like

You know it…lol

Hey guys got another question. So I got the magni 3+ and was looking around for a dac as mentioned above I initially was going to get the modi but I’m thinking about trying the monoprice monolith liquid spark dac. Has anyone tried this pairing? If so any insights?

Thanks again for all the assistance.

P.s. sorry to hijack my old thread for this, I went to make a new thread but the button was greyed out for some reason…

The modi won’t do the new magni3+ or heresy justice.

You’ll want a nicer DAC if I’m honest. If you are willing to spend $100 more get the new Geshelli JNOG, or if you can find an ENOG2.

Or better DAC

I have personal experience that’s why I recommending them, but I’m sure you can find equally good DAC though I think you’ll have to pay more. I find Geshelli punches above is weight on most products they sell.

I also have experience with the Magni (s) and modi 3.

In short, I loved the way the modi 3 looks, I love the way the Schiit stack looks. But the modi 3 needs (+) model or a evolution to the 4th model. I found the modi 3 had a lot of compression. It was one of the largest differences that I noticed since I’ve been really heavy in to headphone audio…

It was one of those literally cases of “once you hear it, you can’t un-hear it”

But I like Schiit, so if they release a modi4 I’ll buy one to try for sure

Thanks, didn’t realize the modi was “behind” the magni like that. As for budget preferably staying around $100 but I’d be willing to go as high as $200. That’s why I’m looking at the monolith liquid spark dac. I heard some really good things about it but I don’t know how it pairs with the magni 3+. Also I’m not sure, as I’m slowly getting into hifi audio, if I’m looking for a linear setup or if I want some “color”. But definitely looking for best bang for buck sorta thing.

There are so many options and various price points making so many combinations that it’s hard to choose what to get starting out.

One of my first amps, when I got back into Hifi audio, was the Liquid Spark, which I’m listening to right now actually connected to the New Geshelli JNOG. I find my Sinn 6XX sounds better on it. The fact that I’m still listening to it says a lot considering my amp choices these days. I might pick up the Liquid DAC after Christmas just to have the stack, but so far I can’t give you an honest opinion on it.

But if it’s like the Amp it will be a solid choice.

The New JNOG without the USB is $199 and I CAN say that it’s way worth the money if you need a USB then it’s $50 more.

Also with the JNOG out someone might be willing to sell you an ENOG. I’m moving mine to another setup otherwise I’d offer to sell it to you.

Don’t take just my opinion though, but I think you’ll find that if you buy a better DAC now you won’t need to upgrade it, even if you move to amps that cost 8 times what the Magni 3+

Hi didnt read the entire thread but what about the ifi zen dac? will be perfect for an amp and dac and can always get a better amp down the line and use the zen purely as a dac

Thanks for the suggestion I’ll take a look at that one. But trying to stay away from combos. As in my experience there is always some compromise when a single product does its job and the job of another product (i.e. modems with built in routers usually don’t have the same range as standalone routers and uses a single processor for both tasks thus limiting total bandwidth). So I want to have two standalone units.

It won’t be till after Christmas that’d I’d pickup a dac so if you do pick up the liquid spark dac please let me know your opinion on it.