HD800s vs Arya (also dac/amp suggestions for both)

Hello everyone. I need your inputs and suggestions for both HD800s and Arya’s and which one should I keep. I currently have the HD800s paired with the thx 788 desktop amp/dac and I was wondering if the Aryas are better overall for music, gaming and movies? Are there better options for the price. Would like to replace the HD800s to try something new since i’m not fully satisfied and audio is a journey to begin with. Also is it true if I let go these 800s I’ll really miss the soundstage? Are there any other headphones that can produce the soundstage that the HD800s possess

Quick background on the previous headphones I’ve tried which are Hd58x, Hd6xx, Sundaras and Dt1990 pro. The music I listen to are jazz, rnb, indie, hiphop, pop, intrumental.

Would also like to “upgrade” my dac/amp into a proprietary amp and dac. I have two options for the amp. Either the THX 789 or Topping A90. What would you guys pick among the two to power these headphones. For the dac, my only option is the SMSL Su8.

if you guys have any suggestions for the dac that would be great.

Thank You!

Hello,
Neither would I nor would I give the headphones away first.
I once had the Sp 200 from smsl and I found this thx story much too analitic, cold and dissecting and also very unmusical.
Either keep the Su 8 and pair it with the A90.
Or take a dac/amp that is more musical and then I would try both headphones again.
If I would take a Dac that has Akm or Cirrus logic built in, if you are more into the musical side.
Don’t buy anything with Essabre, they are known for their sound that you also like to dissect too cold analytically and with pleasure.
That in the combi with the thx amplifier might explain why you are not so happy with it.

So if you are more into the new Dac look at the Singxer sda2 advance, Questyle cma 400i, they are quite powerful to drive your headphones.
Or change the Dac your Su 8 for a Topping E30 with the A90.
Or a Dac that is warmer overall with the A90.
If you have decided, let both systems compete against each other and your headphones for fun, so you can hear the differences better.

And oh especially for Jazz and Hip hop you tend to take a Dac that is warmer to enjoy and also more musical
If you really want something musical then the Singxer Sda 2 should be the right one.
It invites you to enjoy the music more and to lean back.

Is there a reason your options are limited to SU-8 and THX/A90? The 800s and Arya are very different (I’ve only heard the 880s), and tend to perform at their best on different source gear. 800s on tubes and Arya on solid state as a general rule, and the Arya needs a good bit of current based power.

You can get clean, neutral, and well measuring amps with better sound quality than THX tends to offer. The issue with measurement focused amps is exactly that…focus on achieving measurements takes priority over raw sound quality and performance that we haven’t figured out how to measure yet.

For the DAC, a well implemented ESS can be just as warm as AKM, Cirrus, or Burr Brown, but they do tend to be harder to implement well which in many cases has resulted in the harsher sound in the budget range. My Cayin iDAC-6 MkII, for example, is an ESS, but is not at all sharp or harsh sounding.

IMO , most of these genres are gonna want some decent bass extension. The arya is great for jazz, but can lack in the bass dept for those other genres. Though arya altogether is really solid, i would look at bass heavier headphones to compliment the arya, audeze,zmf, fostex…

IMO, I stay away, amd many others, from thx since there is a magnitude of negative feedback from the well respected members on this forum, and pretty much the same with the a90

1 Like

Keep the one you like less

2 Likes

I was an HD 800s owner and i kept the Arya. The Arya is just more enjoyable If you hear lots of different music Styles imo.
And to Just hear a shred of bass is Not what i want in my “Chosen” headphone.
I think you can even personalize the Arya pretty good with EQ but it does Sound great out of the box.

Let’s say it like this:
I dont feel the need to complement some Missing things on the arya as much as i would with the HD800s. It’s too “style” specific for me.

Also i paired my Arya with the Liquid Platinum and i like it a lot.

1 Like

the only reason why i am picking those amps and dacs are due to budget. Im really un decided on what gear to complement these two headphones, but I think id rather invest on a better amp then down the road I can upgrade my dac if need be

Exactly, I listen to a lot of genres and Im really curious how those Aryas perform with all types of music. Most of the songs I listen to are actually from tom misch and the like. Maybe that could help haha

So what amp will you recommend if I wont go the Thx789 and A90 route?

Depending on budget, Lake People Rs08,Liquid Platinum are some solid options. There is also lake people g111,Gilmore lite mk2,Schiit Asgard3. For Dacs, Schiit Bifrost 2, and Denefrips Ares 2, are common recommendations under $1k

1 Like

I would also add, if you’re not going to invest in a tube amp soon, I’d keep the Arya. The hd800S really needs a tube imo. It can work off a ss, but it needs to be pretty warm. But even with a warm ss, you’re not doing the hd800S any real favors. I’d just go Arya and check out some of the amp/dacs @Bmn125 mentioned.

1 Like

The Arya is pretty great with the Lyr 3 and the Su-8. The bifrost 2 is another good upgrade for them.

1 Like

Are you in the US? Recommendations would vary depending on location due to availability. What’s your budget? Assuming $200 for SU-8 and $500 for A90, total budget is around $700?

1 Like

Hello,
Since you have quite power hungry listeners, you could find a Dac that has enough power.
Or just find a Dac/amp combo.

Like in my previous post I posted you some that can drive this power.
If you decide to use a Dac/amp combo for example Topping E30/Schiit Asgard 3 you are more flexible indeed, but also consider that you have a reasonable Rca cable.

I personally am away from this solution and prefer Class A dac/amps rather than Class D dac/amps.
Because with the Class D mainly for amplifiers you will reach your limits quite fast.
After a while you realize that the listener can do more but can’t do it in terms of performance.
I have never experienced anything like this with Class A amplifiers.
Because from the construction simply a fat power supply stands behind it which can drive the power.
With the Dac you could go more to Class D because it doesn’t need much power, but with the amplifier a Class A would be a good advantage.
As far as I know the Asgard 3,Lake people,Rupert neve should definitely be a Class A.
Also the A90, if you believe it, should not be the real one.
It will definitely be better if you convert the headphones to XLR plugs and feed them than with the 6.3 mm jack.
That brings a little bit more angel bells.

Get a used OTL amp in good working order (like the BHC) for the 800S and let your jaw drop.

Used Violectric v281 or the Schiit amps over 5 wpc for the Arya - but make sure you have a really good DAC (on the vinyl coloration side and/or a digital EQ to cut down some of the 5-6k edge of the Arya