Headphone Amp: Multiple outputs

I currently own an headphone amp with a single output, but I’m considering upgrading to an amp with multiple outputs soon (XLR 4pin + 4.4mm).

When I’m using different headphones with different connectors, do I always have to unplug the other one? What would exactly happen if I plug in both headphones at the same time?

Im guessing a reduction in quality/power but no damage.

Hi! Welcome to HFGF! In general headphone amps are only made to drive one headphone at a time unless the manufacturer explicitly states it’s safe to drive multiple. I know Lake People makes their G series amps with dual 6.3mm outputs that can be used simultaneously. There are a few audio interfaces out there with the same feature. But outside of that no, don’t plug in 2 headphones at once.

2 Likes

Assuming the outputs are wired in parallel, it should not hurt as long as the combined impedance is not too low. (add them together and divide by two). Probably more an issue for tube amps than solid state.

1 Like

May be you are Right

Problem is that inductors have variable impedance depending on frequency.

I don’t think I have ever seen LCR measurements on headphones.

1 Like

FWIW: I use a FiFine N6, 4 channel headphone amp connected to my Zen DAC. It is 6.3mm in and 4 6.3 outputs. I have a common value set on the DAC and adjust with the N6. It works well for me when I want to chill and listen to my DT770 or Aeon Open X and make a quick swap to the SHP9500 for games. I paid $25 on amazon on the thought if it introduced too much noise I could just return it or save it for later use. It did not and now lives on my desk.