Headphone DAC/Amp paired with powered speakers?

I’m scratching my head trying to figure out if I’m potentially causing damage to my powered bookshelf speakers (Monolith MM-3) by using my JDS Labs C5D Headphone DAC/Amp as the go between with my PC.

The C5D is rated at max 2.0 VRMS. I suspect it reaches that voltage when using the high gain mode (which I don’t use). The reason I’m attempting this in the first place is because of typical bad on board DAC in PC with noise introduced with the line out. I don’t have a stand alone DAC on hand at the moment and want to see if I can save the money.

So the setup looks like USB from PC -> DAC/amp -> 3.5mm (amped) Headphone out -> Powered Speakers. The DAC/Amp doesn’t have an unpowered line out port, just a 3.5mm line in for portable use.

I’ve always read not to amp to another amp but in this case the headphone amp would be weak enough to be safe maybe?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/headphone-outputs-used-line-outputs-for-line-level-gear/

TL;DR All good, nothing in danger.

That is true in a way, depends on what amp you use though.
Having one Op-Amp feed into another Op-Amp is very common (every mixing desk, audio interface or active DI-Box does this either internally or to gear down the signal chain).
The output of a speaker amp on the other hand (screw terminals or SpeakerTwist) should not be dumped into a line level input. You would not strap a car engine to a bicylcle either.

1 Like

well that’s a relief, thanks!