Headphone dac amp recommendations

Topping e50 vs smsl d-6s, schiit magni+ vs schiit magni heretic vs topping l30 ii beyerdynamics dt 880 premium 250 ohm

Hey guys

Help me to choose the best dsd capable dac, an amp that sounds great with dt 880 250 ohm. I can’t choose the best dac between these two Topping e50 vs smsl d-6s. Help me to choose the best amp between these schiit magni+ vs schiit magni heretic vs topping l30 ii for beyerdynamics dt 880 premium 250 ohm.

How does dt 880 premium sound in terms of Sq compare to hifiman HD 400 se & akg k702?

I enjoy neutral sound with high detail & good Soundstage & percision. If there are better headphones at 150 bucks feel free to recommend me

I listen to prog rock 60s 70s 80s 90s metal classical jazz fusion ost.

My archive consist of vinyl rips dsd 5.6 mhz flac 24 bit /96 khz flac 24 bit /192 khz, sacd & 24 bit/ 48 khz mqa hi-res music

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

If there are better headphones at 150 bucks feel free to recommend me

yes, the 600 ohm version lol, it costs the same, is more dynamic and doesn’t have as sharp highs apparently (have not been able to test myself). And right now? at least in Germany, beyer has a cyber week sale where they cost 100€. I don’t really have a point of comparison but I’m pretty sure that’s hard to beat.

I found the Koss Kph30i + grado pads to be pretty close, but the dt880 are definitely better and at that point the price difference is really not all that much.

Now I can’t speak towards the dacs/amps. I use a ZEN stack, but I even from a mobile phone I still find the DT880 to sound perfectly fine. Everybody say they need a decent amp, and yes, they sound better on the stack but to my ears? They still sound perfectly fine pretty much no matter what you use them on.

They never sounded “not good” to me, simply better on better gear. I might just have lower standards though lol.

I will say however, that it depends on listening volume,
The CAN on the single ended output can push them imo, but you don’t have a ton of headroom.
So for example on a phone, you will have to push the volume to max and they still won’t be loud. was ok to me but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

If you can swing it, the Schiit Midgard should be a big jump up for an amp. Either DAC should pair well

2 Likes

Which amp do you recommend for dt 880 premium 250 ohm or 600 ohm schiit magni heretic which is on sale for 79 bucks or the topping l30 ii amp for sale on 120 bucks?
Appreciated

Did some quick comparisons between amp and phone just now to qualify the difference a bit more.

The difference is mostly in bass. The DT880 do have bass, but if not getting sufficient power you loose the bass almost completely. The rest sounds not as full or detailed, but its waaay more subtle than the loss of bass.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your comparison
Which on of these amps is more suitable in terms of power & sq for dt 880 premium 250 ohm, schiit magni heretic op amp or schiit magni+ or topping l30 ii?