Headphone help and advice?

hmm, any site in particular you guys would recommend to find things a little cheaper for audio? I know amazon of course but even amazon right now is selling the liquid spark for higher than the actual company.

If you get direct from monoprice for the liquid spark it’s most likely the best price you are going to get it for new

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

For the d10, it’s hard to get easily at the moment, it’s out of stock at parts express which is where I would suggest, and ebay is risky for if it’s a scam or not, but apos has it in stock and it’s reliable and trusted

ah awesome. That just leaves the headphones trying to find the cheapest I can go as I can just send my dt 990 250s back. Was a recent testing purchase and very glad I sought out help for this honestly.

So, heres a bit of a dumb question. If I were to use an extension cable on the dt 990s so I have some slack would it cause any issues? dunno the length on that straight cable

The 990 cable is already pretty damn long already (10 ft) lol, but you might be ok with an extension, but could run into signal loss or impedance issues

oh. Is it really 10 ft long? okay never mind then

Suppose this will be my last question on this particular post as I just ordered all that I need from this setup. How does the topping d10 react to usb 3.0s, does it need a 2.0 or is 3.0 fine? Cause I know quite a few electronics I have had in the past get a little fussy with the newer 3.0s

So it should be fine from my experience, but there is a tiny chance it might not play nicely

lol what’s that supposed to mean. Should either work fine or not work at all right?

I think there is a tiny tiny possibility to have driver issues, but personally with mine I haven’t had issues and also it should be easily enough to fix

Alright well thats fine. I can just use a normal port for it since it comes with it’s own cable. Anyway I think that should wrap it all up fine. Thanks to everyone for the answers! Now, I gotta go create a brand new forum post in the gaming audio forum! Feel free to swing by the other post and I cannot wait to get the new setup!

Hmm, so I wanted to revive this for a minute and inquire about the comparison of another headphone I stumbled across which apparently has another V signature… and thats audio technica m40x and m50x. I was wondering does the dt990 still stand above these as I was reading it doesn’t have the recessed mid that the dt990s have… I suppose since they are closed back they would be more in comparison to the dt 770s however I didn’t know if these had an open back variation to them either or how they stood in comparison. anyone got an answer on these? Rather curious as I like their design plus the detachable cable would allow me to use a microphone on them. Of course I could always upgrade down the line to the 1990s which allow the same thing.

The m40x and m50x are more neutral than v imo. Also I prefer the m40x for the better value it provides for casual listening and gaming

So I do think the 990 is a higher tier of headphone, but you are correct in saying it isn’t the most fair comparison. The 770 250 ohm is imo also a higher tier of headphone with actually having good soundstage and imaging for a closed back at this price, very good detail, and imo higher quality build, but no detachable cable

I stumbled across it while looking into more balanced headphones as the dt 990s have a very high treble while having recessed mids…I love them for competitive not so much on the casual front as they can get tiring after some time/ while I read the 40x and 50x still maintain a v signature the mids arent recessed and it has less treble… but I have seen a world of complaints just like any other headphone so I thought to ask… Still digging around for a good all rounder… I do have a 58x jubilee coming in… but I didn’t know if drop would allow me to try them and if I didn’t like them to send them back… it says returns on new and unused product so I would assume no? @M0N you wouldn’t by chance know anything on that stuff would you?

Than that’s more neutral lol, the fundamental v shape is a recessed mid-range with elevated bass and treble

The 600 ohm 990 have more mid-range and are less aggressive reducing fatigue for casual listening (along with pairing with a smoother amp)

There is a decent chance that if you didn’t like the 58x, drop might allow for a return but you might have to pay shipping, but I’ve seen them allow it before, but I can’t guarantee anything. It’s a solid, warmer, more relaxed sound that’s great for casual all rounders that should be an interesting thing to try, also not that amp picky either

I have read SO many reviews on those 58x… always being compared to the 6xx and the dt 990s as the solid all rounder… People seem to prefer the 58x over the 6xx from how much I have read while the dt 990s are seen as much better for heavy competition… I havent received my 600 ohm variation just yet. I guess I could sell the 58x if i dont like them on like ebay or something if drop wont take them back or do like originally intended and make them a gift. I had another guy recommend the HIFIMAN SUNDARA however I wanted to ask a second opinion… between the 58x the sundara and 6xx which do you think would be better knowing I want to use them for casual use such as music movie and gaming?

So, I would say that the 6xx is the technically superior headphone, but the 58x is a fair bit more versatile and has a tuning that works better with more genre of music, and is also less amp picky. I think the 6xx is higher tier if you get a nice tube amp and listen to more acoustic or organic music, but for all rounder and gaming especially on a solid state it’s lackluster imo, I think you made the right choice with the 58x for your case

Easily the sundara imo, but you pay for that, the sundara is the most detailed out of the bunch, imo more neutral than both, and I think it recreates space in a more impressive way. I also think it still has decent timbre and maintains relative smoothness, and extends fairly well. It works well for casual to semi competitive games, and is great for an all rounder for movies and music. I do think it takes well to a nice amp, and I would suggest pairing it with like an Asgard 3 or an el amp ii, but on the more budget side of things the magni 3+ or liquid spark is nice too

1 Like

Will take your word on it, I will need to find a cheap pair of sundara then. I will go ahead and try the 58x and see about going from there. My biggest complaint on the 400i next to the overly aggressive midline, for my tastes atleast, was the ear cups rubbing on the top of my ear… made them incredibly uncomfortable… but I did read the sundaras were just a tad bit larger… and I guess I could look into replacement ear pads as I am not a big fan of those ones that come with it in particular. Prefer pads like the 990s or all around sheepskin and leather.

The sundara is pretty comfy imo, and they come with new pads that I like as well, the sundara didn’t respond well to swapping non stock pads from my experience though

Just looked closer, definitely different pads those look a hell of alot more comfortable then what I had on the 400i. In that price range it looks like they tend to go on sale to around $250 and are normally around $350 would you say theres a better alternative or the sundara would just be your go to pick for an all rounder then? well… least in this case for what im looking to use it for