Headphone help and advice?

For what you are looking for, it’s a solid choice for the price, I think other things you might like would be a bit too expensive imo.

If you end up really liking the 58x, the 660s is solid if you want a similar signature but upgraded technicalities imo.

The 1990 is also solid but imo not exactly what you would be looking for I think as the treble might be too much.

There is the audioquest nighthawk carbon which is really neat in recreation of space and imaging, actually solid for casual gaming, and really great bass and mid-range, also very comfy, but might be lacking treble energy for what you want.

The fostex x00 ebony or emu teak actually might be up your alley, slight v shape with great resolution and also nice timbre, natural yet impressive, very enjoyable, although intimate. Comfort is meh though and it doesn’t take well to aftermarket pads

Yeah I was looking into those from the last posting you recommended them. Didn’t know much on those. Well the 1990 I would only buy way later and would only to be replacing my 990s and I definitely would be testing first before I even dared consider a replacement on them. For the nighthawk it really just depends on how much lacking your are talking about… I like a higher treble but balanced is okay too as long as it sounds great it really boils down to pricing at that point. I looked at the the other two those would definitely have to be cheaper than a $500 margin and I am not particularly a bass head as while I love good beats and a deeper hum to my bass I am by no means a lover of heavier bass. If it makes sense I feel the dt 990s hit that bass punch almost perfectly. I will definitely look more into them thanks.

It’s more recessed than balanced even with the pleather pads, so it might not be enough for you imo

I managed to actually find a fairly cheaper ended sundara with an actual return policy nearby so if I don’t like it it comes at no cost to myself other than a little bit of gas. Was looking for the nighthawk and fostex but unfortunately came up with no results outside of the 20% return shipping restock fees which for that kind of price on a headphone would be really costly. As for the 1990s, While i was unable to acquire and test these out I mentioned my 990s to a buddy and he brought it to my attention that he has a friend who owns the 177x GO which is the massdropped version of the 1770s. So he will be letting me try that… I figure they should be pretty similar in sound outside of the fact that its a closed back. my 58x FINALLY just shipped out today so lots of testing to be underway. Gonna be a fun time… now if only I could get my mic situation under control I will be a pretty happy camper at that.

1 Like

Chime in here on a final note. Ordered quite a few headphones alongside my amp and dac. Received all product. For starters… I hate the m40x the earcup is insanely small and was an instant return for me the sound felt muddy and just wasnt any good imo, DT 990 600 ohm with its respective liquid spark amp thanks to the change to both the ohms and amp it definitely improved the sound for me and fixed a lot of complaint I had on this headphone definitely considering keeping this for a long long time, DT 1770 and dt 770 as someone who grew up with close backs I wanted to try these and found a way to do so I gotta say… these arent to bad honestly 1770 though I had some big issues driver rattling a little bit, sibilance, and while it sounded better than the 770 the sibilance and the rattling was annoying and the sibilance was worse in the 1770 for me which I found odd for the more expensive headphone. I have a buddy sending his 177x go over to me in the mail to try out stating it fixes the issues I had with the 1770 so we will see on that. Onto the final note the 58X and of course the damned Sundara. Out the box… 58x head clamp is hell lol definitely needs broken in but I love the sound… at the same time… they come nowhere near the Sundara on staging and imaging while the sundara still have that overear design they are absolutely fantastic… I just wish I had a way to fix the ear cups to a bit more comfort without losing sound quality. 58x is more comfortable but the sundara is better sounding its a hell of a toss up. going to return the sundara and if i get it wait for one of those sales like I seen where it went for around $250 but yeah I am pretty sold on these two right now its just a process of choosing which one do I want. I think the biggest concern I had over the Sundara is the outside sound leak which seemed a lot louder than other headphones I have tried so I am concerned if I were to attach a modmic would sound seep through. I did go ahead and order the dt 880s just for the hell of it to test the middle ground but they have yet to come in… curiousity and all that I want the best I can get for myself ya know? Wanted to compare it to my dt 990s see which I prefer more.

1 Like

Good to hear :+1:

I kinda agree with this imo, the 1770 is a bit of a mess imo, the 177x go reduced aggressiveness, changed the signature, and imo made it a bit more coherent

So what you do to quickly fix this is extend the metal parts of the headband, and then with your thumbs bend them and it will reduce clamp, glad you are liking these as well. The pads will also get softer with use

Just wondering, what exactly is uncomfortable about the sundara for you? Glad you are liking it too

If you appropriately set the gain for the mic, you could minimize it to be negable with reasonable volume on the sundara, but the sundara and other planar do leak a fair bit more then their dynamic counterparts

I’m tossed up between the sundara, 660s and the 177x go right now. I’d love to hear your opinion when you get the 177x in the mail.

I’ve been giving my dt990s a second run with a creative g6 amp. It has helped, but the treble is still a bit harsh so im worried about going with another beyer.

Your sundara impressions made me lean toward them for sure. But would love to hear what you think on the 177xs.

Thanks man ill watch the thread.

I actually tried it with the g6, was the first amp i ordered, but due to some recommendations ran the liquid spark. The g6 is definitely nice but I wasn’t a big fan of its mic input less its required I didn’t see it as very necessary, the 7.1 virtual surround can be replaced by dolby atmos and hesuvi, and scout mode is kinda crap least imo and i’m someone who actually plays competitive… id much rather equalize my sound instead of use that mode. liquid silver definitely helps the treble but you can also use an equalizer to tone it a little more. I will be more than happy to chime in when I get the 177x’s

It’s more so having to do with my ear shape. The sound is great but the ear cups themselves rub over the top of my ears(I have pretty large ears so I would normally stick to oval to kind of circumvent that) While its not a complete deal breaker … its just a tad annoying. All the other headphones earpads either gently compress onto the ear or completely envelop the ear while these literally sit on top the ear on the skin so any form of movement is slightly uncomfortable. Should mention that I also had this issue with the 400i as well but not as bad.

Can you pair an amp with the G6 as just a dac?

Normally, yeah you can connect multiple amps however I have not done so with an amp and a amp/dac I would assume it should work. I will go ahead and tag @M0N or @RiceGuru if they are out here somewhere online they may be able to help you out. Rice over there is who recommended me the liquid spark so he may know a bit more on that topic involving the g6. Go ahead and edit this: As for as the sundara is concerned though in comparison to the dt series sundara is a balanced neutral sounding headphone it doesn’t have that treble spike in it meanwhile the dt series is a V signature sounding headphone outside of the 880s and T1. If you like the sound of the dt 990s but that treble is extreme to the point the amp change wont fix it it may be considered a better approach to look at the 770 variation as it reduces treble and sound stage for some mid and bass meanwhile the other approach would be the 880s which are a neutral approach with that same beyer traditional sound, however i have yet to test these much like i havent tested the 177x go yet

The g6 can line out to an external amp, so you should be good

2 Likes

@M0N Less there is like a ear pad fix somewhere that wont screw up the sound of the sundara but from what ive been told other ear pads messem up which is disappointing… I know brainwavz and dekoni make pads for them too but honestly no idea if that would fix the issue lol

Yeah the stock pads are the best for sound from my experience. If you have physically larger ears then it might be hard to find a solution for it without significantly changing the sound

I have considered just messaging hifiman… they have alternative pads on their shop for a whole slew of their headphones. Perhaps they could help me adjust that issue. If so, Definitely will be buying these on a sale in the future

Does yours look like the pali pad?

yeah its the pali pad, which is the stock for sundara

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure you had the newest revision

Yeah, they do sell even mounting rings for those who want a more 3rd party pad… so I am sure messaging them may be able to help me out… It’s really a personal issue as I have bigger ears lol. I’m going to shoot them a message and see what they have to say… maybe they can help point me in a good direction for these. I went and placed the 58x stretched out over its respective box to try to reduce that clamp a little more. Figure let them sit there for a day or so should fix it. If I don’t like them I had messaged drop and they got back to me saying they would be more than happy to take the product back provided its still in like new conditioning if I didn’t feel I liked them enough to keep them. Which works for me.

For the 58x here is an image from diy audio on how to reduce the 58x clamp if needed, pretty effective from my experience