Headphone recomendations for long sessions

They all have good bass, but the 650 and 660s have more bass than the 600.

The 650 wins the best value award because you can get a new Drop HD6xx, which is the same thing, for $200. The HD600 and 660s both cost more used. More towards the $300 mark.

I found the 650 to be more fun than the 600, but since I tend toward classical music I prefer the 600. I presently own a 660s bc my 600 died, I had sold the 650, and I got an open-box 660s for the same that a used 600 would cost.

The MSRP on the 660s is $500, which all agree is not worth it.

The next step up is the Focal Elex, which I’ve heard is comfortable, but the Senns are much lighter, and I think that matters for long-term comfort.

Also, Beyerdynamics are quite comfortable. I own a DT770 and recently sold my DT880. Can be worn for many hours, no problem. I bet the DT1990, which is up there with the Elex, is plenty comfortable. But I find the Sennheisers more comfortable.

Have you considered the Hifiman Arya? I haven’t heard them myself, but people have said they’re some of most comfortable headphones they’ve tried. Unlike the Sennheisers, they have planar bass that doesn’t roll off. They’re also really lightweight for planar headphones.

Havent heard the aryas but i hear they have boosted treble which might be a bit harsh. Pretty much looking for something smooth.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha, yeah they have a reputation for being a little harsh in the treble for sure. The latest stealth magnet revision of the Arya just came out, and the initial impressions on forums suggest that they have smoother treble than the previous revision (and are less sibilant). Not sure if it’s enough of an improvement, but it might be worth listening to a pair if you get the chance.

Aryas with a smooth treble could be good. I watched Zs review of the ananda and he said they are relaxed like old school speakers. Which could be the go.

My first recommendation is the Focal Elex. Very full sound, good amount of bass and very comfortable. I wear them 6+ hours a day and sometimes for several days in a row. They can run on any decent amp.

I am currently running my T60 Argons. The Oval suede pads are super comfortable. The bass is not super strong, but I use bass boost with them and they are wonderful. They like some power.

3 Likes

Do you find you get any fatigue with the elex?

I’ll second the elex. You can get them really cheap used these days and they’re pretty great when they work lol. Also the aeon 2 open was pretty decent and if you can get an open r/t if they tune it a little warmer than the aeon 2 I would bet it’s pretty decent. Dan Clark makes some really comfy headphones.

1 Like

I’m happy with my 660s but freely admit to wishing I could swing the extra cost of the Elex.

Not heard them myself but Sendy’s Peacock have been liked for both their all day comfort and tuning…

1 Like

None at all.

I like my HD660’s, but there is not a lot of bass there. That is why I didn’t mention them.

1 Like

My biggest issue with the 660s is that I keep turning the volume up, and it’s fatiguing if not potentially harmful to my ears. I don’t know why Im doing that with these more than my other cans. To some extent it’s so that I can savor the sound. But I need to stop.

They are no bass monsters.

I have that problem with my HiFiman’s (Drop Edition XX and HE6se). It is like they are asking for more power and you do get rewarded. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think I have pretty much sorted it out. Ive found my listening levels have been way to high. Ive tended to crank my HPs until I feel the music which probably isn’t heathly. I spent the other day training myself to listen at lower levels which is hard as often I just want to turn them up but this fixed my fatigue issue. I guess its a matter of discipline and getting used to lower levels. Thx everyone for your sugestions.

1 Like

I just bought a cheap decibel meter from Amazon. Usually my ears self -regulate, but if I think I am overdoing it, I grab my meter/piece of cardboard and check.

1 Like

Sounds like you figured it out. But just in case you haven’t I will plug my favorite: LSA HP-2 Ultra.

It’s more liquid warm bliss. Like it more than the lcd-xc. And I can wear it all day.

Good luck!

What you describe about those set of headphones is similar to what I am hearing out of the Apos Caspian. So I would say that the Caspian is another suggestion as well if you are looking for something with solid low-end, with rich sound while still providing a decent amount of detail. I can listen to these all day with no fatiguing issues. Really great headphone. Quickly becoming one of my top favorite headphones that I own.

1 Like

Caspian is made by the right company to do that. :wink:

The only reason I didn’t jump on board for that is I own the hp-2. And I can’t imagine it would be anything but a sidegrade for me.

1 Like