Headphone recommendation

Yeah, was checking them out too:)

i have 880’s. i have not tried the 770’s. partly for the reputation of them being a little bright. i do find my 880’s to get a little bright even at times for my tastes. i don’t really listen to music on them much, mostly use them for fps on occasion. beyer is known for sharp treble on most of their products.

Do you also have the he400se? If so are they as bright as the dt 880?

i do not. but i have a couple other entry hifiman models. i dont find their treble nearly as bad as beyer.

i might have to pull the trigger on the 400se. they get a lot of good reviews and i need a new pair of headphones to get bored with :wink:

1 Like

I see. Would you say that either one of these headphones or other would be more suited to movie watching? Especially for detailed crisp sound effects?

:)))))))Yeah indeed.

1 Like

i like closed backs for movies as a whole. they tend to have punchier bass for sound effects to really get the rumble on.

Aha, yeah that makes sense. So then you would say the sv021 would be better suited for that.

most likely. but i have not heard sivga anything personally. they get good reviews though.

edit: the 021 would probably be the ones i would get if i did. they have good looks as well as reviews.

edit2: but i have enough dynamic driver headphones atm so havent gotten around yet to getting any. been thinning the heard the past couple years though, so looking to get more new ones to try

Yeah, i really like how they look.

Edit: Yeah, i mean i think now there are more and more good headphones. They will get better and better probably.

1 Like

Absolutely not. The HE-400se have pretty balanced tuning, leaning to the slightly excited side.

The bass is pretty neutral. Won’t crush you with punch and slam or a ton of sub-bass. But the bass is present.

Mids are slightly recessed. That’s the HiFiMan house sound.

Treble is smooth other than a tiny spike and a bit of grain in some congested passages.

The HE-400se are a terrific gateway to open-back planars. Punch far above their weight at $120 USD. They also responded very well to balanced power, although it’s not essential. A 1-watt/32 ohm amp, such as the Atom+ amp, drive them nicely.

Highly recommend the HE-400se among your list of options.

1 Like

You won’t regret it.

I agree the 400se are probably nice(had the 400i 2020), but if your original problem was the beyer earpads you’re gonna have to swap the 400se too, hifiman round pads are ridiculously small (and scratchy)

Yeah leaning towards those. Thanks for the info!

I think i have a better chance swapping he400se pads than sv021. But yeah most probably if they are not comfortable out of the box. I just recived a pair of pleather pads from beyer, no more itch, so it was the velour causing this. Althought they do fit tighter on the headphone and have a smaller opening the the stock velour, but overall much better than before. Might try some fenestrated leather ones. Found some nice ones on AliExpress.

Getting the ifi zen can, which has on non balanced 1.6W @ 32ohm

You must have huge ears. I have fairly large ears, and mine fit comfortably inside the stock pads of the HE-400se.

To the OP: If your skin doesn’t agree with velour, then yeah, you’ll probably need an aftermarket pad for the HE-400se, which will change its sound. But the HE-400se doesn’t have a ton of clamping force, so the velour isn’t being pressed into your cheeks.

Yeah, just gonna have to see how it is when I get them and if they do bother me gonna look for some leather ones.

Hifiman’s pads are 55mm, average ear is 63mm lol, there’s obviously angle variation and stuff but their pads are dumb small, also OP was already complaining about beyer pads which are 58mm :wink:

2 Likes