Headphone weights

I get bored so easily…

Anyway I bought a scale a while ago from Amazon.ca. It stated purpose is for weighing babies. In our case we have fur babies. And they are starting to look as round as their humans.
This scale has four digits with a decimal in the middle, so we can’t get right down to the gram. I will just add a 5 to each number and we should be within a few grams of actual weight. I am weighing each 'phone with the cable for two reasons:

1. The Grado, she don’t come apart
    And
  2. We all wear the cable with the 'phones so, why not?

I currently own 7 pairs of headphones and here is what I came up with:

1. HD58X’s = 355 grams
  2. HD600’s = 405 grams
  3. Meze 99 Classic’s = 265 grams
  4. Grado GH2’s = 305 grams
  5. Beyerdynamic T5p.2’s = 395 grams
  6. Fostex TH-610’s = 485 grams
  7. Koss E95X’s = 325 grams

Some comments on this:

1. I am shocked that the Grado’s weren’t the lightest.
  2. I am surprised the Koss weren’t the lightest.
  3. I am shocked wood headphones (Meze) were the lightest.
  4. That Fostex cable is Long and Thick, but they still would have broken 400 grams.
  5. I was surprised that the HD58X’s were 50 grams less than the HD600’s.
  6. I am very easily shocked and surprised.

Interesting, to me at least. I hope other people will add to the thread. It would be cool to have a cross reference. Even if only for trivia sake.

6 Likes

Well i knew the meze 99’s are a great headphone. but the fostex th-610’s? I knew it was bad

i do not own a scale. a food scale would work well as they can measure in grams and usually go up to at least a pound in weight.

Wife didn’t want me using any of her goodies. She was cooking and baking on a Sunday.

1 Like

just ordered that because now that you mention it, i am curious as well.

Going from the HD600 to the Elex I was suprised by the weight/size difference which I found initially off putting but now I dont’ even notice it. So it’s interesting how continious use will normalize the feeling. I’m a big fan of the Senn style of big oval cups too.

Mine cost WAY more, but of course it has a 20Kg max. :laughing:

i really want to know what my t60rp agrons weight lol. They are HEAVY!

It is interesting for the trivia minded among us. When my wife saw what I was doing she just shook her head.
Her comment was “What will that info possibly mean to you?”

My response is always “I love facts!” I have spent hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of hours reading threads in Head-Fi about products I don’t own and will likely never buy.

I am a complete info junkie, unless it is so complex I can’t grasp it. :grin:

2 Likes

Akg 712 are like 300 grams I think

I am still an audio noob. Thus I only have three pairs of headphones. Ordered by date of purchase, not preference.

Philips SHP9500 - 285 grams
Meze 99 Neo - 265 grams
SendyAudio Avia - 426 grams

Findings; The SHP9500 are heavier than the Meze’s. Guess this makes sense since the ear pads are far bigger.

1 Like

I am surprised the Neo weighs the same as the Classic’s. That must be some Really thin wood on the Classic’s. :wink:

it ain’t cause of ear pads, portion might.
There is more frame in the cups and more in the headband structure. They still very close, 20g aint bad.

Would be nice to know. What is the lightest and overall “great” headphone vs. price (no koss, proper strap on headphone if you what i mean).
Scale up boys.

Think the HD6XX are around ~260g. Nearly the same as SHP9500.
I actual think my Hifiman 400i are ~370g?
That is also big plus in my books that they are light or under/close to 300g weight and going near/over the 400g aint that nice to wear anymore.

There seems to be a trend for big and heavy headphones, with the Monolith M1570 outdoing Audeze and stuff like the HEDD design being weighty. I know a lot depends on how weight is distributed and the fit but I tend to prefer lightweight. One of the things that puts me off the Audeze LCD family is the weight and bulk. I seriously wonder how much is down to necessity, how much down to some sort of heavy = quality vibe (like with car doors…) and how much down to wanting to avoid the expense of getting weight down?

wrangler doors weigh 40#'s =D

1 Like

I keep a spreadsheet with as many specs as I can find for my headphones, past, present and possible future/wishlist. I rely on manufacturer data (online and printed spec sheets/packaging), and headphone weights are usually specified as being without the cable. Here’s what I have in grams on record:

Current inventory:
Meze 99 Neo: 260
Beyer DT 880 premium: 290 (cable not removeable)
Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon: 346
Drop X Beyer DT 177X GO: 370
Sendy Aiva Black Beauty: 420 :wink:
Focal Elegia: 430
Drop X Focal Elex: 450
Audeze LCD-2C 550

Sold:
Drop X Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee:260
Drop X Fostex TR-X00 mahogany: 350
Drop X MrSpeakers Ether CX 388

My overall favorites for comfort: DT 880 (#1), Nighthawk (#2), Elex (#3)

The Heddphone looked interesting and I considered it for a bit before buying the Audezes, but that weight looked ridiculous and ended up scaring me off.

1 Like

The hedd comfort is alright but it’s not bad for me. I am going to wait for a more refined version to come out to address some of the sonic concerns I had (hopefully lol)

95X is bae due to weight, the cord is the heaviest part LOL.