Headphones to try out

Just realised that I’m using 1540 pads on my t50s not 1840 pads too, so that would mean their signature is a bit different from the ones in the frequency graphs

Yes. My guess is 1840 will seal way, way more (leather-like material) and give you a huge bass and sub-bass boost.

I thought that perforated pads tended to more bring up the highs rather than bass? I am kinda new to looking at what pads can do to change things.

Ultimately I’d love to be able to have in terms of music headphones, one headphone for my hip hop listening (currently nighthawks), one for general listening (currently hd650s although I wish the soundstage was a little wider) and then a headphone for my Kpop listening (currently don’t have this). I know these are all very different feeling to me at least :sweat_smile: for kpop I’m wanting something that has sweet highs but at least still having a bit of bass presence which I don’t quite get with my t50s right now but they’re not hugely far off. That probably puts me closer to wanting a V signature I think so I may lean towards the 990s.

I’d love it if I could get to a HiFi shop near me, but nothing is going to be open here until July I think at this rate.

1840 pads will definitely give you the bass you need with T50RPs.

I must be missing something then, I can definitely feel the impact of the bass just that it doesn’t get prominent to me unlike I seem to notice with the highs

If i where you i would extend the budget a little and get the Sundara. Its bright but more neutral and a excellent headphone. 350$ though. Seeing that you already have a t50 you could spend 90$ and get a argon. not sure how it would compare with the shure pads you already have though.

I do really like the look of the sundara, it is £300 here though, so would need to think about it.
As for argons, like I said I’d love to, just not sure about how much it’d end up costing since I think it’d be just under £100 before return shipping and I’m pretty sure I’d want the protein pads, although I do already have their alcantara headband

You might try to cut the foam (the mod I talked about above) because it gets rid of the 4khz-to-8khz “plateau”, or just get some AKG foam which, apparently, just fixes everything (because adding foam gets rid of the highs a bit).

But I wanted to have all the possible clarity and hear all the possible details, by keeping the planar driver “next to my ear”, so not completely “muted” by a foam piece, so I “just” cut the foam of my T50RPs. There’s still a 10khz peak that can get annoying on some (badly recorded) songs… but they’ve been my “daily drivers” for months, and… zero problems. Everything sounds good with my “modded” T50RPs (unless the song really sucks, obviously).

If you already think the highs on the T50RPs are prominent, don’t.

The highs on the T50rp are much worse than the Sundara. The highs on the t50rp are one of the things that promted the big t50 mod scene. that and the fact it was a cheap planer

The 1st graph is for the T50RP, the 2nd is the Sundara.

Those graphs show that starting at 2 KHz on up, the Sundara has between 2 and 5 more decibels of upper mids and highs than the T50RP Mk 3. That matches up with how I heard them both as well. Maybe you should relisten to both…

hmm, weird. i remember the t50rp being so harsh and sibilant and the sundara not bothering me at all. where did you get those graphs from?

1 Like

DIY audio heaven. Solderdude (respected in the audio community, built circuits for Garage 1217 amp designs) measured them. But remember, those are with the stock T50RP pads…which maybe you weren’t listening with possibly?

1 Like

Yeah, only stock. Stock T50RPs are treble murder. The stock “pancake pads” stayed 30 seconds on mine. They’re definitely not treble murder with Shure 1840 pads.

1 Like

yeah stock, i’m gonna send them in for argons sometime

1 Like

If you like a V-shaped sound just buy Shure 840 pads for 20$ and it probably will sound better than Argons (for you).

1 Like

really? i think i’ll check that out. thanks

1 Like

I think I’ll see if I can do some mods to my t50s to bring them up to my preferences. Need to properly listen to them to see what I want to change with them.

Yeah the stock pads are the worst I’ve ever had, one is currently under the spike of my speaker stand to make the speaker level :rofl:

They used to be my main go to headphones until I upgraded from my mayflower arc to the Asgard and I could tell they weren’t up to my preferences. The comfort is so nice though with the alcantara headband and pads

They’re just excellent for electronic music or anything energetic. Smooth bass too for jazz etc. But they lack mids, so they can feel a bit “mechanical and soulless” – especially compared to smooth mid-oriented headphones.

I suppose if I want to listen to smooth mids I have my 650s for that, but I do have a feeling that I might really enjoy a V shape if I get the right quantities of both highs and lows that work for me

Also been watching argon reviews and it’s really making me want a pair, I feel like I want to have a pair of t20/40/50s to mod myself, then one set made into argons :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think I’ve figured out why I felt like my t50s were so harsh, for some reason in the Anarchy Reigns soundrack, the highs seem to be really prominent compared to the other frequencies to me. Listening to Takumi’s Theme from the Initial D 5th Stage OST reminds me how much I loved these before.

From what I can tell, I feel like the bass with the alcantara shure pads isn’t boosted, its more that if the track has more bass then it will reflect that? I’m relatively new to analysing what I like and dont from my headphones so I find it a little difficult to explain what I am hearing but I think that’s the best way I can describe it.

I think what I’d like to go for next is something with a wider soundstage, since most of what I own (apart form he4xx and k702) isn’t all that wide sounding to me. So that leads me to the Argons again and also the two beyers :joy: