Hearing damage in one ear fix/advice?

Hi everyone im new :smiley:

My right ear is 10-5% less sensitive (?) -Im not sure what the correct term for this is- and im looking for advice on how to balance/center everything. Hope this makes sense and sorry for any grammar mistakes.

I use a old kef instant theater thats connected to my laptop via 3.5mm (im working on finding a better connection) and for headphones (Sennheiser HD599, Beyerdynamic dt 770 PRO 80ohm) i use a Audient iD4.

Cant believe i forgot to add that in my original post haha
stay safe peeps :vulcan_salute:

What equipment you have? Source, amplifiers or dac etc.
Living with headphones or speakers?
Basically methods are somewhat similar and can be done with many ways.

Edit;
Was not even thinking the option with hearing aid, would that be possible to balance it out that way?

Perhaps a stupid question but, have you had your ears professionally cleaned? You may just have an earwax blockage.

:upside_down_face: ive edited my post now. Im laughing so hard at myself… how did i manage to forget that “minor” detail …

Sadly it isnt wax. Ive had them professionally cleaned several times but the 10-5% loss in the right ear was still present :frowning:

Can you get a hearing aid or use a balance control?

There might be a Calibration menu to adjust channel balance?
So you would hear, singer being at the center position. Increase right side speaker volume + right surround the needed amount. If singer now is more to left side.

Kef Audio Instant Theatre Kit100

Calibration Menu

The standard settings will already be correct for a normal room.The calibration menu allows you to test that the speakers are all connected and allows you to adjust individual speaker levels if required for your individual room. Note: The calibration option will only appear if you are in ‘disc mode’ when you press SETTINGS.

*Sitting in a central seat of the listening/viewing area, go to disc mode, highlight and SELECT “Calibration” to start the acoustic calibration process. Noise will emanate from one channel, then the next, and the next, right around the listening/viewing area. Use the up/down navigation cursor keys to adjust the volume of any channel that doesn’t appear to match the others.When all channels sound equally loud, press STOP or EXIT on the remote to exit the menu. *
It is recommended that a Sound Pressure Level meter is used to measure the sound levels accurately. (Although it is possible to adjust the subwoofer level during this process, KEF recommends only confirming that the subwoofer is working, but not attempting to match its level to that of the other speakers. It is best to make fine adjustments to the subwoofer level using the remote control keys during normal listening.

2 Likes

Calibrating of course! Didnt know that was possible on this old system. Thanks!

Sorry if all the answers seem so obvious to you all, but i seriously havent thought about getting hearing aids. I need to do some researching now haha thanks for the advice

1 Like

Do you actually hear it that way?
I would have expected hearing loss like that gets compensated for by the brain.

Brains do compensation but it wont or can’t fix a loss/lowering in specific “frequency range/ranges”, where the personal issue might be. “cannot recover speech intelligibility”
As example. “Hissing or static noise” or just speech with low/normal level volume, you might detected sound with left ear but not with the right. Depending of course what is the “level” of damage in what FR-range.
Some might not even notice a thing in daily bases but with, low or normal levels and really focusing, you might notice things like. Center imaging is off by a touch. To the range of -30db loss in specific FR…
Like in the audiogram / beep hearing test or someone’s voice is in the range, cannot make out what other person is talking if being on bad hearing side.

So some personal DSP or EQ adjusting will help alot, if equipment or settings allow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldnt have said it better :slight_smile:

Interesting anecdote from Tyll on the subject from 22:50 to 26:50 (been looking for it for days):

2 Likes