Help: Amp with 2 HP outs - burn out I think

I spoke to Arthur via email several times. He was always polite, informative and prompt. And I started our correspondence stating that I was looking at a used amp. He was never going to make a penny off of me and he was still excellent to me.

Between his behavior and the way this amp sounds, I am now a Huge fan. :grin:

2 Likes

I doubt plugging 2 headphones in hurt it, assuming the outputs are wired in parallel your still at over 30 Ohms impedance.
The question is if itā€™s worth repairing, if itā€™s the transformer, itā€™s a $20 part, but they are a pain to remove IME, and I donā€™t know what Lake People would charge you for it.
Worth asking I guess.

2 Likes

Comes out to a combined 35 Ohm load, so completly fine.

As far as I can tell, this amp has two amplification circuits side by side (or it is Class AB, hard to tell without a close up of one of the groups I labeld ā€œAmpā€ in the picture below.

Overheated and cooked the weakest link. Likely the transformer as @Davidibiza pointed out.

1 Like

Thank you thatā€™s a good point. I guess the other question is how much would a similar quality amp cost me. Hopefully the repair will be less.
Iā€™ll update on Lake Peopleā€™s response to my mail.

That makes sense. I wouldnā€™t have thought the weakest link was the transformer but I donā€™t understand much about these things. Thanks for the labeled image.
Can you tell me how you came to the number 35 for the combined load? Maybe unacceptably ignorant but I donā€™t know how its calculated.

1/(1/37+1/600)

Parallel resistors R = 1/(1/R1+1/R2)

3 Likes

They arenā€™t usually the first thing to fail, but if say there was some sort of mains spike it can happen. Can you show us the burn marks on the cover.

1 Like

Yes sure:

Hereā€™s a close up on the amps:

1 Like

A little closer ā€¦

1 Like

Thanks a lot :heart:

1 Like

So, Fried Reim from Lake People sent me a kind mail this morning offering to fix the amp at the factory for around 100 euros, since the guarantee is expired, I think its fair, and itā€™s a guarantee of quality so thatā€™s good.

I donā€™t know whether to save up and buy the G111 instead if I can find it used. In the meantime Iā€™ve begun listening to a DT880 on another amp which Iā€™ll make another post for right now.

Thanks again to all for your help.

4 Likes

The fix seems like a nice offer to me. I just saw your other post about the Feliks amp. Having the fixed G109 and that Feliks is quite a combo.

1 Like

true. It seems like the only thing I really miss out on is the balanced output and 10ohms at 600 watts.