Help choosing a headphone for a niche use case

Hey guys, I’m looking to get a new pair of headphones, but what I’m going to be using them for is very specific. I’m going into school for music comp, so I need something that I can mix with and has a fairly flat frequency response and decent detail. At the same time, though, I love competitive gaming and general music listening, so having good imaging and soundstage is also very important to me.

So far, I’ve found 4 headphones that fit these criteria in varying ways: ATH R70x, HD560s, DT 900 Pro X, and a wildcard, Harmonicdyne Zeus with EQ. Out of these four, which do you think would fit my needs the best, or do you guys have any other recommendations? Going to be running whichever pair I get off of my xDuoo TA-10. Oh, and also, I’d prefer not to get a pair with real leather if possible. Thanks!

HD560s. Ticks all the boxes you mentioned and has the most neutral sound of your list. Best for mixing.

Mixing with EQ is a bit contradictory, isn’t it? Don’t you want to hear the original recording to mix?

3 Likes

Well I guess the original recording is best heard with a flat headphone, so what I meant was just to eq the Zeus so it would act like a flat headphone, but have the same space/detail that it had before. I don’t know much about EQing headphones though, so I may be misunderstanding how that’s supposed to function.

almost everything “leather” in headphones is actually pleather so pretty safe there lol

The Sennheiser HD-600 is in nearly every studio around the world for that exact use.

General Note:
There is a reason specific gear is found in studios, and it rarely is the shiny new stuff that was widely promoted a couple of months ago. So be aware that “new industry flagship”-marketing means the opposite.

yeah I know of a few industry standards, and I’ve found that they don’t really suit my needs. For example, 600s are far too narrow for me, dt 990s are too bright and fatiguing, etc. I may eventually get one of those when I’m in the industry, but for now, with my budget, I kinda wanna focus on getting more of a jack of all trades, master of none kind of headphone.