Help Choosing DAC/Amp

What’s your mic volume set to in windows

Focusrite USB is set to 100. I’m trying this and I don’t know if it works or not. Friend says I sound really far away.

Don’t use that because you would fry your mic, as you need to step down the 24 volts to like 5 for your mic

Well shit. So does it fry the boom pro or the Focusrite and how will I know? I’m not sure if I’ve already ruined it the

Did you buy that one?

It’s hooked up with that one now. I also bought the rode. I was just impatient and trying this one.

Ah, well try the rode if you can, you needed something like the rode, so you may or may not have killed you mic

Rode will be here tomorrow. So if it doesn’t work with that then the mic is dead?

That would most likely be correct, but perhaps there is a chance the boompro still works. By turning on phantom power, you would have sent a ton of voltage to the small mic capsule that wasn’t designed to handle that

So it wouldn’t have ruined the atom, headset or the Focusrite?

Most likely no. The atom would be unaffected, the headphones themselves would prob be fine, the focusrite could have damaged itself but I think the mic would be what would have failed

I’ll report back tomorrow. May have to order another mic. Damn.

Let’s hope everything works out tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

Just got it. The MIC LIVES!!! It works. Just need to figure out levels. I was told it sounds quieter but might be some setting or something.

Perfect lol, that’s good :+1:

Now just make sure your phantom power is on and the gain is set appropriately

Phantom power is on. Gain is slightly above half

so basically all i learned (since it seems for general overall choosing your DAC talk) that the fiio Q1 MK2… my audio jack already on my laptop is fairly loud for my low impedance headphones already (comfortable at 16% and way too loud if over 20)… so my major situation will be the DAC for mine… the volume control on the fiio is very tempting but i was originally super tempted by the dragonfly because of the fact that it had MQA support (apparently it sounds a whole lot better than a 44.1khz flac file or any streaming and requires a DAC for that). but there is nothing else for that one beside that