Help confused noob find ~$200 bassy headphones

I know your not replying to me, but in my experience you don’t get full body compression waves like crazy subs can do on IEMS or headphones. Headphones can vibrate head more than IEMs, but since IEMs are functionally sealed to your ear canal the body can be tricked into thinking there can be bass hits that feel full body. ie down to your feet. Its rare but has happened multiple times for me. Most of the time its really intense and you can feel the bass travel though your head better than headphones and different bass hits may vibrate different parts of your head like up and down with frequency. Outside of that the soundstage is different IMO and depends on how easily your mind can be tricked into “seeing” the space and stage. For me IEMS can reach outside my head easily, but for some it may be that the sounds are always coming from inside your head. Headphones can be really intimate like the 6xx, but tend to have better soundstage and sound farther away in general. ie IEMs can sound outside of my head but we are talking like close to 6xx most of the time max LOL

1 Like

Ahh, I actually wanted to post this as not a reply but forgot. (Going to bed soon, kinda sleepy😅)

Your explanation is very informative, I get the difference now. Kind cool tho, never can experience it so its wild and weird reading about it.

So I will probably take some time finding info about IEMs recommended by @Ohmboy before I make my final decision then. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

To @Ohmboy @Mufflertape @RenEH @FiCurious

I have finally made up my mind.

I’m going with headphones. Here is the reason why.

Mainly comfort, I realised why I won’t like IEMs because I have not been a fan of using earbuds.

It’s not that comfortable having something stuck in the ear canal for long periods of time, I feel it’s unnatural and there is something there.

I have used many different cheap earbuds throughout my life and I never wanted to wear them longer that 1 hour.

During this covid period too I have been earbuds for my main go to for online classes. I was actually sick of it and used my “oversized” ( I never used larger headphones so getting used to it) gaming headset as my main until now. I tried again using my earbuds and I just can’t go back to them.

I know you can get custom molded IEMs but still yeah… it’s ment to be in the ear canal. Here is a video which will probably be my experience if I tried IEMs https://youtu.be/I4TlTRBecvA

I know IEMs are better in the sense that it has more features like it’s portable and the sound isolation is way beyond a capabilities of a headphone. But I don’t need portability as I am going to use it at home and I don’t mind using cheap earbuds outside. I also don’t mind sacrificing noise isolation for comfort as I have a fairly quiet household and I have my own room. Also it might be a bonus as I can hear people calling me.

Like Zeos said , he doesn’t want to get something that is uncomfortable even if it sounds incredible because it’s unbearable to wear in long periods of time (stax video).

So thank you all so much for giving me advice, info and recommendations. I have made my choice.

•Sony MDR1AM2 headphones
• IFI Zen DAC

I will keep you all updated and post pictures when I get the product, it’s either within these few weeks or next year March/April when I’m more free.

Again, thank you all for helping.

Edit : Here is pt 2

I think I might have found other headphones, sorry I spoke too soon, I deleted a new post I made because I thought the price was cheap, the seller put instalment price, fooled me…

Anyway I just saw the hd560 and thought they might work. Anyway I’ll either make a new post tomorrow or delete this edit.

7 Likes

You can spend 1000 hours researching a product, but in 5 minutes of listening you can decide if it’s for you. Any chance you can audition anything before buying?

2 Likes

I wish I could but the only headphone store that actually let’s you try the headphones just recently closed due to covid. Sad.

Also I don’t think they have the product I want. Maybe I could go outstation? I found a cafe which actually has a ton of headphones for people to try. If I do then it will be a journey an I never been outstation solo. I’m still young.

Also covid will probably have the store closed, how unfortunate.

1 Like

@Ohmboy @Mufflertape @RenEH @FiCurious

Hi guys, I have purchased, now for the wait :partying_face:

3 Likes

Sweet :+1: enjoy buddy and do let us know your thoughts :smiley:

1 Like

@Ohmboy
Sure thing :grin:

1 Like

@Ohmboy
I am so furious right now

This is just utterly ridiculous , it’s in stock and 3 left, I bought one and two left. Now it says preorder. I will go insane if I don’t get a headphone this month and it’s giving me more reasons to get the 560s cans.

Also it’s not even an upgrade, it’s just a different sound signature. I’d rather have a upgraded design than a better sound signature with less detail.

Wish they would offer me the sundara tho, but it will 99% not happen.

:crossed_fingers: they can get them out too you sooner rather than later :+1:

1 Like

@Ohmboy

They said 2 weeks. And shipping is like 10 days so I’ll only get it in December 🤦

This calls for a warm SE amp, Monoprice Modern Retros and some big leather pads. Boom boom.

@lrjshabaz
Yeah, I might like listening a tube amp but it will certainly be a future buy as it’s over my budget.

Monoprice stuff I like but it’s not available in my country unfortunately, nobody ships them too.

BTW I already told the seller I would wait and the seller said he will settle most of the stuff for me. Still frustrating tho.

@Ohmboy @Mufflertape @RenEH @FiCurious

DAC/Amp is here, and boy do I f king love it :drooling_face:

*I’m using Corsair HS35 headphones so… yeah.

Sound:
First impressions it sounds like a different device,as what I expected getting something different.

Then I updated the firmware (5.3c) to new one realised it is not that good (also proven as it uses a GTO filter which is quite leaky), I reverted it back (5.3) and realised the usb driver made the huge difference compared to just plug and play.

Then the huge difference came, I can hear so much more going on, I can hear background vocals that I never heard before even on YouTube, the frequency response is extremely enjoyable and my ears don’t hurt anymore (last time my headphone is like boosted at high frequency for some reason).

I tried listening to Flac but I don’t hear much difference but I don’t care now as it’s just not fatiguing listening to music anymore. Also the bass boost is a nice feature to when bassy songs don’t have enough bass, the stock sound is perfectly bassy.

Power match (gain) is odd, it kinda boost the higher frequencies (around vocals area) even though I thought it’s just low gain high gain, maybe that how gain works, never used one.

I’m really happy with it. Really puts a smile on my face. Now I can enjoy my time with this DAC while I wait for the headphone.

*Note that when the volume might cut out one channel out when starting at minimum volume.

Edit: Did an AB test and it sounds almost the same :fearful: , I might go insane. What is going on ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I checked again and I realised my Equaliser APO with a headphone specific EQ is not running on my laptop jack anymore. (was not running on my zen dac during AB). So its weird that my built in soundcard is that good. Maybe the equaliser has problems? Not sure.

Build:

The first time I received it I was like “this box has weight” and “quite long for a small DAC”. The box is cheap but whatever, it did it’s job to protect the DAC (a few lines here and there and very minor dents)

Then I opened it and leaflet were on top of it. Took them out and picked up the DAC, I was shocked how heavy and substantial it felt, I was like Ooo. Also it was quite hot as it came from a van driving it the hot afternoon sun, quite funny but it shows that how quality as its made from metal. (Aluminium if I’m not wrong)

Then there is a box with RCA, usb 3.0 to usb a and 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. I didn’t read the leaflets but read it later as I seen reviews already kinda know how it works. It’s not much info but it’s helpful.

The buttons can actually spin left and right when you put your finger on it, so I realised that’s where they cheaper out but it’s fine as it sounds amazing.

The volume knob is almost perfect except for the imperfection that I listed above. It’s amazing. Also the light is beautiful green (probably won’t use other formats so it will stay green).

The cables look kinda cheap but they are quite good actually. Makes me want to upgrade them lol.

2 Likes

Welcome to the rabbit hole friend. Cables do sound different.

2 Likes

LOL

4 Likes

How is it going? Do you find the difference yet? Need to hear your opinion before buying it, and how about the bass boost? Do you like it or not?

2 Likes

@Galang_Syamil_Basaye
Hi there, I asked around and people say it’s normal, sometimes other devices have good DAC amps.

Also I’m using crap headphones so if there is a detail change I can’t hear it much. I did hear a slight sound signature change but it’s like getting different headphones, they are made to sound almost similar but in different flavours so it doesn’t bother be as my non audiophile ears just doesn’t care/hear big difference with and without that DAC/amp.My he400i 2020 are still not here yet as they are still not in stock but I will update you when they come. I can’t try as covid and my nearest headphone store that lets you try out is in another state unfortunately.

The bass boost is boosted higher than I am comfortable with but probably will work well with less bassy headphones (mine is quite bassy, closed back). To describe it is like what Zeos said it the review, it’s too much and you will enjoy it but feel guilt as you aren’t supposed to enjoy it (because it’s just wayy too much) if it’s the right headphone/song that needs the boost.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply man, can’t wait to hear an update from you, im still thinking to buy dac/amp because people said they’re not really big of different, maybe still considering to buy the fiio e10k to accompany my hd58x in the future, but from now on I just want to hear people opinion too.

And for this I can relate to man, I live in Asia and to make it worse I lived in small province we don’t have so called headphone store let alone to try it out, so i just go with blind buy, and considering start from low like fiio e10k rather than ifi zen dac

1 Like

@Ohmboy @Mufflertape @RenEH @FiCurious @Galang_Syamil_Basaye
They are finally here after about 3 weeks :sob:

Build impressions:

First of all, the packaging is really nice. It really makes it feel like a premium product. The swivel of the earcups really impressed me tho, I never seen such cool design. The high adjust is ok and the dimples are a really clear indicator of height. Mine is set to both sides 3 dimples visible. Also the headband is kinda odd, looks and feels like a stiff springy black sausage but it works.

It feels really comfy after getting the adjustments right but it is a little heavy. Also on my thin body and face, the headphones look huge :joy: but its reasonable, not ridiculous.

I had fun shining a torch light just looking at the driver. It’s so odd, I have tore apart so many speakers and even make one from a paper plate before but this looks completely different. Cool tho.

The cable I love some parts but don’t like some parts too. First of all, the cable for me is perfect length, just perfect. I put my setup on a coffee table and when I lean back, the cable is neither too long it too short. Perfect. But one thing I don’t like is the right angle connection for the source. I know it’s catered for portability but it’s just not a good idea. It’s heavy and large. Also it says it can be powered with phones but it’s just not enough power. Small good amps are nice but usually they barely can drive it properly.
*Note that the pictures are taken at my room when initial testing, now I’m writing this and chillin to music while I type this on my phone.

Sound:
I was so disappointed when I heard them just straight out of the box. The treble was raping my ears. I tried listening for a few minutes but it hurts. At this point I was sad as I clearly bought the wrong headphone. I realized I like flat as possible but with bass boost. I tried low gain and high gain and turning bass boost on and off on my Zen DAC but nothing worked.

Then the magic came. I used equaliser APO with the eq profile from AutoEQ for the he400i 2020 and it sounded perfect. I was like, this is what I wanted all along. Then I turn on bass boost and I haven’t turned it off since. Now it’s a perfectly balanced headphone (for me) and I realised a open back does kinda sound like speakers. It’s like between a closed back and a speaker, really magical. Also I did hear more detail from it and the soundstage is nice.

So I guess I have bought a right headphone even tho it doesn’t sound nice to me stock? I guess so but it doesn’t really feel right.

*Funny thing, look at my last Imgur picture, nobody said it can do that :joy:. I laughed my ass off when I realised it can do a 360. But the ear pads did touch quite a bit so I don’t recommend doing it. Might damage the pads.

4 Likes