Help confused noob find ~$200 bassy headphones

LOL yea those are Hifiman earpads, they wont last long in my experience :wink: Glad you like man, planar bass is nice!

2 Likes

Cool I’m glad you’ve managed to dial them in to your liking :smiley: enjoy :+1:

2 Likes

Yikes, I hope they are not expensive :sweat_smile:

Hi there, I have a question regarding planar bass. I feel it’s like what it’s described by many, punchy, tight and accurate but I feel like its too in your face when you turn it up?

I keep going back to my old headphone for listening music because I feel it’s more relaxed? But when I turn it up I’d doesn’t feel overwhleming?

Is it my bass boost on my Zen DAC boosting higher frequency bass or planars just sound like that ? I’m kinda sad I went for a planar lol.

Anyway I just adore how spoken vocals sound on my planars, I use it to watch videos and everything sounds so real. So it’s odd like I got a expensive music listening headphone for just general purpose listening and use crappy headphones for enjoying music :joy:

I’ve found using the “Truebass” on my ZenDac when running my planars a bit overwhelming too - and I likes me some bass… The natural warmth of the ZenDac without enabling the Truebass is enough. But, that’s is a personal opinion. I assume that you are enabling power-match (high gain). If not try that but leave the Truebass off and see what you think.

1 Like

@Delta9K
Nope, I’m on low gain. If I turn off true bass, it just lacks sub bass, it’s ok but I really don’t enjoy it.

The high gain boost the vocals which is too in your face (I’m already not liking the boosted treble on my he400i ver 2020) so I leave it off.

1 Like

I get it.
It just may be that you don’t care for those. I have not heard the he400i but, I have used the he400s and the bass on those was to thin for my tastes. I ended up going with a warmer signature planar myself instead. Even with those sometimes I wish they had a bit more but, I love the “huge” presentation that a big planar can deliver and I keep them for when I want that and I have other headphones for other times.

1 Like

@Delta9K

I’m still not sure tho, maybe it’s just a ton more detail in the high bass/low treble region which is completely non present in my crap headphones.

I appreciate the detail and the amazing soundstage but like I can’t just fall asleep with these on my head, it’s just like “DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL”.

LOL I guess maybe I’m not used to it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think that could be a part of it especially if they are new to you. I would think that you might want another more relaxed headphone if you are wanting to fall asleep with them, lol and keep the he400i for when you want to get into your music and jam.

1 Like

@Delta9K
Lol, everything just confused me. Now I think it might just be the sub bass extension of my older headphone masking that high bass area so I can’t hear anything there. But there is the sub bass I love so i actually prefer that. Maybe I should have gotten other pairs but ahh.

Yeah probably I will get a more relaxed bassy headphone in the future (if they exist). I like this pair for their insane vocal detail, I turn on true bass and Zeos voice sounds so good.

1 Like

You can maybe try some cheap cans like the Monoprice retros for its bass tuning haha. If I dodn’t already have so many cheap headphones lying around, I’d like to try these myself.

If you want just a warm signature, the Koss Porta Pro or KPH30i work well. Not very detailed and lacks sub-bass, but they are… warm. lol. Plenty of kick in the mid-bass imo, especially if the track already is mixed well.

1 Like

Planar bass can be pretty intense at times. You would maybe like Audeze house sound since those are pretty laid back outside of the 1k shout which can add a little extra to vocals etc. But the real question is if you dont like the 400i then what are you wanting to correct with it in detail?

3 Likes

A little experiment, but to be honest, the bass is too much for me with these ear pads :exploding_head:.

2 Likes

Update, so now I have been messing with my headphones and it sounds alright now 🤦. Arggh. It doesn’t punch my ears anymore.

Now I it just sounds like what it’s described as, got some bass and a peak at the treble region.

So I guess my best bet is to get something with more bass and a nicer treble region in the future.

1 Like

I hope I can get the dt880 600ohm as my future pair with a emotiva basx a-100. It’s quite expensive for me now so I bought the he400i for now.

My old headphones already do nice bass so I go back to them when I need more bass.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation, I will probably need a kph30i some point in my life.

Here is an update, I have more shots of my gear at a nicer place.

5 Likes

Bro can teach how or where to get the preset? I’ve got same headphone but with hipdac and face the same situation as you.

1 Like

@themysterie
Hi there, sorry for replying so late. I didn’t log on for quite a while. I’ll keep my tab on Chrome open for you (on my phone so it will give notifications) so keep asking me anything you want to know.

You copy the graphic eq https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN%20HE400i%202020/HIFIMAN%20HE400i%202020%20GraphicEQ.txt and paste it into the equaliser APO app (click the edit button, the pencil notepad on the left of the equaliser and paste it there)

P.S. My audio experience keeps changing, now my headphones sounds great, I readjusted it (4 notch both side) and it’s much better (with/without equaliser)

Also weather is much better now so I can hear better without my stuffy nose. It’s just the headphones lack bass for me but the bass boost makes it work nicely.

Ok, I am finally satisfied with my headphones (now at the brink of crying eveytime I listen to it).

It took me so long to learn by trial and error using an equaliser.

Here is my equalizer preset:

I’m running He400i 2020 with Ifi Zen DAC on bass boost, unbalanced, low gain, USB original cable with type c otg connector to my Pocophone F1.

The equalizer app is Wavelet.

It’s solely for EDM only, for others, I lower the 75Hz to 0.5 or 0.4. Also warning, it’s quite bassy. If you do try, don’t turn off bass boost or it will sound like crap.

1 Like