Help me choose my amp

Hello, what amp would you rather get?

Violectric V226 or IFI IDSD Pro will be mainly using it for thr HE1000 V2.

My main music genre, electronic, pop, rnb, jazz etc.

Both are a solid choice. what’s your budget and what DAC do you have up chain? Your get into gear category where synergy plays a more noticable roll.

Do you want AIO DAC/AMP or do you plan to use different DACs or amps?

If you need or want an AIO solution. I would get the V226 which can be cheaper if you buy it used.
I think there is a listing for 950$ on headfi for a v226. I had the v222 (Only amp) and I really like it. I think It would pair well with the HE100v2

Budget is around 1.5-2k usd, but cheaper is better.

Im looking at used market:

Saw a vio for 950 usd and ifi for 1.2k usd

I just need a all in one for now. Then upgrade in the future

1 Like

What dac did you pair the v222 with?

1 Like

BF2 OG and Soekris 2541.

Disclaimer I do not know the seller.

I see. Is that still your setup?

I saw that listing already.

it is not. My current setup is Soekris 2541 and v550.

1 Like

Wow. Nice setup. So among the 2 you’d still get the Vio v226 for 300 usd cheaper compared to the ifi idsd pro?

I can only vouch for the v226 since I have used the v222 before. I haven’t used that iFi or any iFi. So, I cannot help you with the comparison.

Better wait for someone who has used the iFi to give their opinion.

If you were to buy separate components. I will vote for the BF2/64 with the v222. If go to headfi, there are some users who like it with the HE1000SE and Susvara.

That’s an enviable setup. I was using a Soekris 1541 with my v550 and only reason I sold it was to find another piece of gear I wanted. I ended up replacing the 1541 later on with a Yggdrasil because at that time there was no availability for the 2541 (pandemic related supply chain issues).

Sorry to hijack the thread - you’d think I would know better.

Returning now to regular scheduled programing…

2 Likes

Ok I would definitely look into a questyle cma 12 or 15. The 12 you can find under $1k without to much hassle and it pairs really really well with my HE1K stealth. Sorry for adding another option but it is really to good not to consider it.

Okay will add to the short list, still cant decide

well, to be honest I would not get get a dac/amp for music. Out of the 2 I would get the iDSD Pro because it is more versatile. But Violectric is mainly an amp with meh dac and iDSD Pro is mainly a DAC with meh amp. My advise is to compromise. Get a Violectric 222, with a iDSD Neo (v1). You got xlr out/in between, you get a good balance between dac and am quality. I have the Neo iDSD v1 and V550 and I can say it plays very well with violectric, and xlr gives the amp a really nice boost in power.

1 Like

Im thinking of getting the idsd pro then in the future maybe ican as well. What about other brands like ferrum are those any good?

It very much depends on what you like, what your mindset is. At this price most if not everything sounds good. What do you look in your end game system outside sound? For example I want my gear to be cool, interesting in some way that will make them be interesting even after 20 years, and that means minimal extra digital BS or surprising performance. For example: I got a qtest because it is very simple, a pi2aes 2 because it is cheap and good, and to maximize performance and make it surprisingly good I use a 1000€ psu that costed me more then the dac, with real glass fiber optic cable because plastic is bad, AND 1TB SD card to eliminate all USB from my chain because USB degrades the signal. Everything must be simple but good . That is what I look in my system. You may look for a compact system, or something to match your furniture, or something very digital or with many options. If given the choice, you may pick Ferrum PSU, but I like the simple aspect of Jcat psu.
Think what makes a gear interesting for you, and build your system around that aspect.